Gransnet forums

House and home

cleaning my ovens

(52 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:30:26

I absolutely hate the job of cleaning my ovens.

Other than the horrible spray on chemicals which almost stop me breathing is there anything else which works.

I read somewhere that hand steamers can clean ovens, does anyone use a steamer with good results and if so what make is it.

whitewave Thu 08-Jan-15 15:32:41

Just ignore it!

J52 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:35:28

My oven kindly cleans itself. You could try putting a Pyrex bowl of hot water in the oven , turn it on and let the stean loosen the dirt.
My aunt used to coat the oven with a paste of bicarbonate after cleaning it. She said it gradually disappeared with the dirt and use. x

whitewave Thu 08-Jan-15 15:40:43

My attitude is that it must be clean dirt as every time you switch the oven on it must sterilize it!

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 15:45:40

I pay a very nice man to do mine when I can stand it no longer!

Anne58 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:48:09

If you remember "The Slut's Charter" the layer of crud is actually a form of insulation, so it stops the heat escaping, therefore uses less energy, so environmentally friendly AND money saving! grin

shysal Thu 08-Jan-15 16:11:29

You can't beat Oven Pride, which includes a giant bag for shelves to which I also add baking tins. All you need to do is rinse after a few hours or over night - almost a pleasure! I have never noticed any fumes.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Jan-15 16:19:52

Sorry, don't understand the concept, as I agree with whitewave about the sterilisation of the dirt. Having said that, DD has invested in a silicone (I think) sheet from Lakeland. It goes on the oven floor and she says that anything spilt on it just slides off easily, so am thinking of getting one.

Anne58 Thu 08-Jan-15 17:00:55

Mr P swears buy Oven Pride blush. He is a very good cleaner of ovens, unlike me!

Anne58 Thu 08-Jan-15 17:01:14

By not Buy!

Agus Thu 08-Jan-15 17:12:23

I have an oven cleaner company come in every so often. Looks like a brand new oven when he is finished. I could never get it that clean. Meant to say, Mr A could not get it that clean wink

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Jan-15 17:17:20

I' feeling smug as yesterday my oven had it's bi-annual treat. Took me all morning using those non-scratch wire thingies.

So Shysal Oven Pride really does work? How often do you use it? I've tried other cleaners but none really work.

Grannyknot Thu 08-Jan-15 17:21:14

shysal an Oven Pride kit was one of my Christmas gifts grin - the secret Santa was my daughter.

What I'd like to know is where/how do you do the rinsing?

glammanana Thu 08-Jan-15 18:09:18

Ring the Oven man,man arrives,man cleans oven,pay the man, job done grin

loopylou Thu 08-Jan-15 18:14:54

Can't get hold of Oven Pride around here, so oven awaits sufficient enthusiasm to start cleaning- could be a while yet! Bought some cleaner from Lakeland but suspect should be used more frequently than twice a year to be effective......

newist Thu 08-Jan-15 18:35:07

I soak all the bits, glass door included in a strong solution of Arial soap powder. next morning it just needs a wipe

Anne58 Thu 08-Jan-15 18:35:39

Apropos of nothing really, the title "Cleaning my Ovens", which I expect referred to having a double oven, i.e. large bottom oven, top one being able to be used as an oven or a grill, might be wrong, often are, but reminded me of someone I worked with long ago. In order to let us all know how she had gone up in the world, after a day off to move house, her response to questions as to how it went was "Well, I was exhausted, I just didn't know which bathroom to clean first!"

loopylou Thu 08-Jan-15 18:51:19

Does that mean using the bath to soak everything? Might give it a go!

newist Thu 08-Jan-15 19:09:37

I have used a bath but I then bought a tray that it all fits in, I feel better using the powder as I don't like the smell and gooyness of the other stuff,
I use about 2 beaker fulls of powder

loopylou Thu 08-Jan-15 19:12:56

Right, that's definitely worth a go, thank you!

grannyactivist Thu 08-Jan-15 19:18:03

newist as a child we never had anything so exotic as dishwashing liquid and all the washing up was done with either Omo or Daz. Worked a treat on the washing up, but I do wonder what it did to our insides! confused

chocolatepudding Thu 08-Jan-15 19:19:03

My DH uses Oven Pride as I hate cleaning ovens! Last done on Christmas Eve so the ovens were clean for all the cooking. No smell and quickly done! Perhaps I should set him up in business cleaning ovens? wink

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Jan-15 19:19:14

Just had a thought..... I was wondering how to soak the trays. I have a large green tray made to use for potting plants on which would be perfect!

grannyactivist Thu 08-Jan-15 19:19:40

I use the Lakeland oven cleaner and also have their big blue tray for the racks to be left in whilst it's working. It's really effective, just needs a good rinse and very little in the way of scrubbing.

shysal Thu 08-Jan-15 19:35:43

Nfkdumpling, I clean my oven every couple of months. With Oven Pride it is no longer a daunting task. I smear some of the thick liquid onto the door and floor (sides are self-cleaning) with a washing - up sponge and leave overnight. Shelves, grill pan and my enamel baking trays go in the zip-lock giant poly bag with the remaining fluid, on the draining board until morning, turning it every which way a few times before bed. When it comes to rinsing I wipe out oven with some kitchen paper then finish with a damp J cloth. Stuff from the bag is rinsed in the sink, absloutely no rubbing or scraping.
When DD1 sold her house the double oven range had never been cleaned from the day it was installed about 7 years before! I cleaned it for her with Oven Pride with no problem, after sweeping out the loose cinders in the bottom! It came up like new.