Gransnet forums

Health

Gastroscopy with only throat spray ‘sedation’ + anxiety pill

(62 Posts)
HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 15:59:10

Good afternoon, I am hoping to get a little reassurance and maybe some advice. I have been referred for a gastroscopy and have received a letter from our Community Endoscopy Service giving me a date late in March, but have been informed that there will be no sedation other than a spray on the throat to alleviate the gag reflex.
I had an endoscopy years ago for similar symptoms, and had sedation, but even with sedation I found the throat spray very very difficult to cope with - I had a severe panic attack as I couldn’t (or felt I couldn’t) swallow, and the memory has stayed with me.
I called my surgery this afternoon and was spoken to by my Doctors secretary and explained my fears, and about the panic attack; she told me that the best she could offer was to ask the practice pharmacist to write a prescription for a low dose anxiety pill, just one pill. I have asked why I cannot be referred to our local hospital for the procedure with sedation. Her response was that she didn’t know, and would try and investigate and get back to me within the hour (that was this morning - no call so far).
I have just received a text from my surgery telling me that ‘a new prescription has been sent to my nominated pharmacy as per my recent consultation with the pharmacy team, so it appears that the decision has been made to have this appointment with just the throat spray and an anxiety pill.
Has anybody had this procedure with just the throat spray? Does it hurt? My last one was about 12 years ago and was extremely uncomfortable (which is why I wanted sedation this time round) so maybe things are easier now?
My problem is I am a complete coward when it comes to being conscious for medical procedures, and I also have a very strong gag reflex. I really don’t want to do this without sedation, but wonder if I being a complete ‘wuss’ as my grandson would say. I don’t know whether to call back and ask to speak with my Doctor rather than her secretary, with the intention of asking for the procedure with sedation. I really don’t like being a nuisance, and appreciate the NHS is under huge strain and there are long waiting lists, but neither do I want to have a deeply unpleasant experience if it’s not necessary, and I know I have to have the investigation as the symptoms are very similar to those my sister had 30 years ago, and she died of pancreatic cancer. (I thought that where there was the possibility of cancer, they tried to keep to a two week referral time). So any advice (please be gentle) will be appreciated. (I saw another post re endoscopy, but the answers didn’t mention anybody having problems with the throat spray) Apologies for the length of post.

Luckygirl3 Thu 29-Feb-24 16:08:41

I am sorry that you have been unable to get a proper consultation with your doctor to look into the possibilities. I think you should press hard for this. It is not a matter for the receptionist/secretary, nor the pharmacy. A proper assessment of your clinical needs, including psychological elements is needed.

I have had several gastroscopies and sedation was always offered. On the last one they were trialling entonox which I accepted instead and it worked well for me - 4 or 5 big gasps before the tube went down.

The throat spray is standard, whether or not you have sedation. It does make your throat feel a bit numb and weird.

Your best way forward is to insist on a proper consultation with your doctor. Good luck with all this.

Primrose53 Thu 29-Feb-24 16:10:47

I had a gastroscopy not long ago but i had sedation with a needle in back of hand. Whenever I have any sort if sedation it knocks me out more than usual. Apparently I am “very accepting”.

I have only had sedation spray when I had a different procedure but that was OK for me. Good luck.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Feb-24 16:14:04

I had it with just the throat spray. (Because I was constantly thwarted each time I said I wanted sedation)
I didn't find it any worse than when I had been sedated, because they didn't seem to sedate me at all.
I'm sure I didnt have the throat spray with sedation, though.

HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 16:18:04

Thank you very much Luckygirl3 for your advice. I think you are right, and will insist on a physical appointment with my doctor.

Thank you for your input Primrose53, that is the sort of sedation I thought I would have with this procedure and will ask for a referral for exactly that.

HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 16:22:33

I think, MissAdventure, that you are probably a far braver person than I. I can, and have, coped with many of life’s trials and tragedies, but I am an absolute wimp when it comes to needles and unpleasant medical examinations. I wonder why the surgery is so insistent on avoiding sedation - perhaps my age? (73). I am still going to press ahead and see if I am able to be referred for sedation.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Feb-24 16:27:47

I ve only had one and insisted on sedation as I can’t tolerate it I just can’t I am fairly stoic over most things but either end and I need some sedation
It was perfect and I knew nothing but like you HooteNanny I am a total wimp over these procedures other things I m fine with

MissAdventure Thu 29-Feb-24 16:30:08

HooteNanny

I think, MissAdventure, that you are probably a far braver person than I. I can, and have, coped with many of life’s trials and tragedies, but I am an absolute wimp when it comes to needles and unpleasant medical examinations. I wonder why the surgery is so insistent on avoiding sedation - perhaps my age? (73). I am still going to press ahead and see if I am able to be referred for sedation.

Oh I'm the worlds worst coward!
It just wasnt an option, and my pre assessment was a 1 minute chat on the phone, so that sealed my fate.

HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 16:33:11

Thank you BlueBelle, you give me hope that I may also be one of the patients who feels nothing. I will attempt to get an appointment (a battle in itself!) with my Doctor and I too will insist. I feel slightly braver now smile

Allsorts Thu 29-Feb-24 16:41:01

I had it without sedation, don’t. Insist on sedation everyone I know tgat had it done with sedation has had no problems.

HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 16:49:30

MissAdventure I have nothing but admiration for you! I am hoping my options won’t be as limited.

HooteNanny Thu 29-Feb-24 17:00:32

Thank you Allsorts, I hope I can get the referral I want. I am certainly sure now that I want sedation!!

MissAdventure Thu 29-Feb-24 17:02:54

HooteNanny

MissAdventure I have nothing but admiration for you! I am hoping my options won’t be as limited.

I was literally quaking, and unsure if I might run far away. grin
Lots of other people were afraid, too, and said "I wanted sedation, really", so you really will need to be insistent, if that's anything to go by.

Farmor15 Thu 29-Feb-24 17:16:45

I had it with sedation - no throat spray as far as I know. Very easy procedure when sedatedsmile. I woke up feeling like I'd had a nice sleep and didn't feel drowsy at all though you can't drive after sedation.

I suspect the reason they're trying to avoid sedation is the cost- the type of sedative used can occasionally cause a sudden drop in blood pressure so the person is hooked up to monitor for a while after. The longer stay in the recovery area with nurse(s) to keep an eye out, costs more than for patients who don't have sedation and can leave immediately.

If I need to have another gastroscopy, I'll definitely want sedation.

Marydoll Thu 29-Feb-24 17:17:27

I had it without sedation ( sedation not an option for me). I was able to go home about an hour later, while those who had sedation were kept in for hours. It was uncomfortable, but not unpleasant.
It was the same with a very invasive angiogram, where I was told sedation was to be avoided if possible.

Having had many unpleasant procedures without sedation, I have developed the ability to zone out.

Good luck. HooteNanny.

NotSpaghetti Thu 29-Feb-24 17:20:24

Can you ask tobe referred instead to somewhere where they will offer sedation?
I thought there was a right to choose.
It may mean a longer wait but I'd rather do that.

hollysteers Thu 29-Feb-24 17:30:11

Do speak to your doctor. It’s not a very pleasant procedure (I’ve had lots of others…) and having had one, I can’t imagine it without sedation. Why should we suffer unnecessarily? I strongly believe sedation should be offered to all.

annodomini Thu 29-Feb-24 17:49:46

I had it twice without sedation and would do the same again if I had to. I did what I do at the dentist and used the kind of breathing technique they teach you in ante-natal classes. I was able to drive myself home after the procedure.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Feb-24 17:52:16

Now that is a brave woman!

NotAGran55 Thu 29-Feb-24 17:57:03

I had it without sedation and it was all over in a couple of minutes, and I was driving home 10 minutes later. The staff doing it were so kind and supportive it really wasn’t a problem.

My MIL has had umpteen procedures, with spray, sedation and sedative tablet.
She has settled on the sedative tablet as her favoured method.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Feb-24 18:00:15

Marydoll I wasn’t kept in for hours once I could sit up have a drink and sandwich and about an hours wait I was free but honestly I have stayed for hours if needed to get sedation
I take my hat off to you the thought of it really freaks me out

Sarnia Thu 29-Feb-24 18:07:11

I have had 2 endoscopies and have had sedation with both. Frankly, I would refuse this procedure without sedation. Like Primrose53 I remember nothing about it. Have you asked why sedation will not be an option for you? Sod being a nuisance, as you call it. I would insist on sedation or referral to another hospital. Don't take No for an answer and good luck.

rafichagran Thu 29-Feb-24 18:16:42

I think we are all different. I had the throat spray and no sedation, It was fine,it went well,and I had no problems, they asked me to swallow, I did, and the proceedure was over very quickly.

rafichagran Thu 29-Feb-24 18:18:18

Also I could drive home, another bonus.

NotSpaghetti Thu 29-Feb-24 18:34:03

Could it be a blood pressure issue?