Gransnet forums

Health

Fybogel supply problems

(43 Posts)
Optomistic1 Thu 28-Dec-23 15:00:46

Hi. I am prescribed Fybogel for diverticulosis and it works very well in keeping symptoms under control. However over the last 6 months there have been supply problems with Fybogel and now it is just impossible to get.

Strangely there is no information on the internet about what the problem is and I have spoken to several pharmacists who all say they have no idea what the problem is or if it will very come back. In fact one today said he expects it to be discontinued.

There is no direct alternative and I was wondering if anyone else has found a suitable alternative. I have been offered Laxico but I find that too strong.

Thanks

shysal Thu 28-Dec-23 15:13:13

I use Psyllium husk powder, which is the active ingredient in Fybogel (aka ispaghula). I mix it with diluted fruit squash. It is an easier consistency than the actual non-powdered husks. I don't have it on prescription so of course have to pay, but I have never had a problem purchasing it on line.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084ZTCQRW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&tag=gransnetforum-21

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Dec-23 15:14:31

I use Psyllium Husk capsules, available Amazon. Better than Fybogel which contains aspartame which is a very nasty ingredient.

shysal Thu 28-Dec-23 15:18:59

Feel free to ask me for more details about dose and any side effects, of which I suffer none - no urgency problems.

NanTheWiser Thu 28-Dec-23 17:14:32

I wondered why I couldn’t find it in sainsburys, although they had Fybocalm capsules. I have a few sachets left, and a tub of the chews, but would prefer the sachets. Will have a hunt when I go to the shops tomorrow.

CoolCoco Thu 28-Dec-23 17:24:12

Another vote for psyllium husk powder. A teaspoon in porridge or a smoothie is enough, plus it hasn’t got all the additives that Fybogel has.

Redhead56 Fri 29-Dec-23 00:40:39

I have three relatives taking these the solution is eat fresh fruits and and veg nothing is better.

Summerlove Fri 29-Dec-23 00:51:16

Redhead56

I have three relatives taking these the solution is eat fresh fruits and and veg nothing is better.

That’s pretty dangerous advice actually for someone who has been prescribed a medication for an ongoing problem

Grayling1 Fri 29-Dec-23 10:54:20

I use Ispaghula Husk (orange). My local chemist offered it to me a few months ago when Fybrogel wasn't available and I found it easier to take and with good effect. Unfortunately it has now become difficult to get locally but you can get in on Amazon and my daughter orders it for me.

Optomistic1 Fri 29-Dec-23 11:16:24

Thanks everyone for your help. I will go to Amazon.

NanTheWiser Fri 29-Dec-23 17:10:46

NanTheWiser

I wondered why I couldn’t find it in sainsburys, although they had Fybocalm capsules. I have a few sachets left, and a tub of the chews, but would prefer the sachets. Will have a hunt when I go to the shops tomorrow.

I got lucky, and found some in Boots today, so bought a couple of packs.

Maggieanne Mon 01-Jan-24 11:06:43

Fybogel was recommended to me and I found it very helpful but I also find fresh pears work very well, they're mostly fibre and I do notice the difference if I haven't had my daily fruit.

Littleannie Mon 01-Jan-24 11:27:34

We both have Fybogel on prescription, originally from the consultant. We have not been able to get any from the chemist for months. Doctor prescribed the generic psyllium instead, but the chemist can't get that either now. We still have a few sachets left between us.
Amazon had Fybogel for a while, but they don't have any more. I am keeping an eye on the psyllium on Amazon, and will have to get that eventually (if that doesn't disappear as well).

Maggie Anne and Redheaded56 - Yes we both eat lots of fruit and veg, but if a consultant at the hospital prescribes Fybogel, then that is what we need.

Littleannie Mon 01-Jan-24 11:28:49

Not sure where the extra 56 at the bottom of my post came from!

sandelf Mon 01-Jan-24 11:35:45

A whole avocado eaten in the evening. I often eat a half, no special effect, but one greedy day...

bear1 Mon 01-Jan-24 11:41:32

my partner has bought from tesco's before and you can also buy from Amazon

Cossy Mon 01-Jan-24 11:45:28

The advice coming from people who simply have a few issues with constipation isn’t helpful really for those of us actually diagnosed with Diverticular disease. We eat lots of fresh veg and fruit and fibre but I still have lots of bowel issues, not helped by pain meds. Thanks to those of you advising the husks, will order some today! 🙏🙏

Hazeld Mon 01-Jan-24 12:06:01

You can get this one on Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/Reckitt-Benckiser-Hi-Fibre-Releives-Constiaption/dp/B07H6PZKKS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3KAHG9JVECY6C&keywords=fybogel&sprefix=fybogel%2Caps%2C114&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1704110472&sr=8-6

It's not the same as the sachets but may be worth a try

RosesAreRed21 Mon 01-Jan-24 12:06:35

I have it prescribed and not had any problems getting it

knspol Mon 01-Jan-24 13:01:25

Used to have Celevac tablets prescribed for diverticulitis but they became unavailable and so was offered Fybogel. Recently told Fybogel no longer available and I should try different pharmacies myself. I pointed out that if they were unable to find any then I was unlikely to succeed. No alternative was offered. A few weeks later I ordered them again just in case and luckily recv'd 2 boxes. Might be worth another try?

Jan135 Mon 01-Jan-24 14:28:48

I am also prescribed Fybogel and my pharmacy has been unable to supply it. GP has prescribed Ispaghula Husk Orange as an alternative. I find harder to mix and it tends to go into clumps. It does the job, hopefully Fybogel will return

fluttERBY123 Mon 01-Jan-24 15:06:11

One pharmacy said it was supply chain problems. I have been having the squash with psyllium husks instead. Idly asked again last week when in pharmacy if they had any and they had! Worth asking round again as problem might have been solved by now.

Titian1948 Mon 01-Jan-24 18:21:28

You could try asking for Laxido instead. Whilst they're made from different ingredients, they basically do the same thing. If the doctor isn't able to prescribe it, it can be bought from an online pharmacy: www.cloudpharmacy.co.uk/medications/laxido-sachets/

ANMI52 Mon 01-Jan-24 19:29:32

Used to take Fybogel but found it left me feeling bloated. Now take Laxido on prescription when needed and found it much better.

Lindy56 Tue 02-Jan-24 11:12:48

Thanks for info on this my local Pharmacist has also had difficulties with suppliers. Will try Amazon.