Gransnet forums

Health

Did my friend starve to death

(32 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 08-Dec-22 11:26:44

I find myself pondering over the death of my lifelong friend last year at this time.
For 10 or more years she'd been losing her appetite, she said she never felt hungry and if it wasn't for her husband she'd never remember it was a mealtime. Later she just couldn't force food down, she tried everything from those little carrtons of concentrated drink from the hospital to simple things like Yakult.
She got thinner and thinner and eventually died. She was 73.
I don't know her weight, but she looked like someone on the pictures you see of Belsen inmates - simply a skeleton covered in skin, it broke your heart just to look at her.
I happened to be visiting one day when her doctor called round (remember that?) and I asked her about medication to improve appetite - such as hormones (I gained a stone on the 'birth pill' and my husband also gained weight with side effects from a blood pressure remedy) I also asked about feeding through a drip (as you see on TV) - but she said there were no such drugs or treatments.
I really feel she was neglected and let down.
It makes me feel so furious and helpless, especially as her death certificate read 'vascular dementia'.

Daisymae Thu 08-Dec-22 19:00:04

My friend has vascular dementia and her weight hovers around 7 stone. She can look very ill at times. In thinking that this may be a characteristic of the illness. It's sad about your friend but maybe there wasn't anything anyone could realistically do.

Harris27 Thu 08-Dec-22 19:09:10

My mam dementia and she stopped eating. She was eventually in a home and they persuaded her to eat.

Fleurpepper Thu 08-Dec-22 19:19:43

How did you feel about this Harris?

Hetty58 Thu 08-Dec-22 19:31:22

It is terribly upsetting to see somebody slowly shrinking to a skeletal state. Of course, our first instinct is to feed them up and build up their strength. Still, trying to eat when you're really not hungry is awful too.

M0nica Fri 09-Dec-22 20:42:40

Ex-Dancer The answer is probably 'yes'. Not because the doctors were neglectful or didn't respond properly, but because your friend's whole system was slowing down and gradually turning off.
First her digestive processes that meant that eating became almost impossible. That killed off the desire to eat, so she never thought about it. In these conditions medical intervention can do nothing. All those around the person can do is keep them warm and comfortable and await the inevitable.

HeavenLeigh Sat 10-Dec-22 21:06:07

My dad also died from multi infarct dementia known as vascular he also wasn’t hungry and was refusing food and drink it was horrific time, I was at his bedside continuously for last two days, he was a skeleton of his former self, absolutely heartbreaking to see, it was a relief when he passed with just me cuddling him