Gransnet forums

Health

NHS problems from the horses mouth

(110 Posts)
Racingsparrow Wed 16-Nov-22 12:50:11

Why is nobody listening to the experts.
This is a letter published in the Telegraph today

SIR – I’m a retired consultant, and I know that so-called managers have multiplied dramatically over the past quarter of a century.

Hospitals used to be run by the consultants, who are the only people with the knowledge to appreciate what is necessary in healthcare. The medical executive committee consisted of one consultant from each specialty, and it discussed what was necessary for the proper functioning of the hospital. Its decisions were communicated to the hospital secretary, who implemented them.

Now, the hospital secretary has been replaced with a CEO, who is in charge of countless other managers. This grotesque experiment in managerialism has resulted in huge increases in expenditure without any improvement in patient care, as these managers are not medically qualified. They are appointed in order to prevent doctors spending too much money.

Unless this is reversed, with consultants put in charge of all medical decisions, the NHS will collapse. The health service exists to diagnose and treat. Doctors do this with the help of nurses, physiotherapists and others. They do not need managers, whatever politicians might imagine.

kittylester Wed 16-Nov-22 13:00:29

I have been saying this, on here and in RL, for years and years.

volver Wed 16-Nov-22 13:05:04

They do not need managers, whatever politicians might imagine.

Ah, the "horse's mouth."

We're doomed.

LadyGracie Wed 16-Nov-22 13:07:34

So have we been saying it for years, but most of the population want to keep chucking money at it.

Does anyone remember John Harvey Jones going into hospitals and looking how they were being run, now there was a man who spoke sense.

Sar53 Wed 16-Nov-22 13:08:19

I've also thought this for some time.

A couple of years ago I volunteered at our local hospital and was put to work in some of the offices. These were staffed by managers, loads of them, at all different levels.

I was present at a meeting one day and the amount of managers was incredible.

Get rid of some of the middle managers and pass the salaries on to the people on the front line, doctors and nurses.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:09:14

So if hospitals don't need managers, who is going to be responsible for recruitment, maintenance, the appointments and record keeping systems, cleaning, catering, ordering equipment, prioritising patients, making sure that budgets aren't overspent (and all the other tasks I've forgotten)?

volver Wed 16-Nov-22 13:11:45

growstuff

So if hospitals don't need managers, who is going to be responsible for recruitment, maintenance, the appointments and record keeping systems, cleaning, catering, ordering equipment, prioritising patients, making sure that budgets aren't overspent (and all the other tasks I've forgotten)?

The magical "hospital secretary", presumably, Growstuff.

Who can apparently implement things without anybody allocating any funds to them.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:12:27

My sister was a middle manager in a hospital trust. She came from a nursing background. The problem for her was that there weren't enough managers, especially as the government imposed more initiatives and targets. As an increasing number of managers weren't replaced when they left, her workload was ridiculous.

LadyGracie Wed 16-Nov-22 13:12:42

They obviously need managers but not to the detriment of medical staff. There are layer upon layer of managers, a total waste of money.

volver Wed 16-Nov-22 13:14:58

Casdon - we need you!!

Oreo Wed 16-Nov-22 13:15:29

There were always some managers but the proliferation over the years has resulted in the mess now in place.
That Telegraph letter is not wrong.

Fleurpepper Wed 16-Nov-22 13:16:37

LadyGracie

They obviously need managers but not to the detriment of medical staff. There are layer upon layer of managers, a total waste of money.

This, totally.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:16:57

volver

growstuff

The magical "hospital secretary", presumably, Growstuff.

Who can apparently implement things without anybody allocating any funds to them.

Oh! You mean the ones who know so much about running a hospital that they should be in charge?

Management by the staff was tried at Hinchingbroke Hospital, but was a disaster. It was judged to be the second most inefficient hospital in England before the contract was handed back to the NHS

kittylester Wed 16-Nov-22 13:17:25

Exactly what LadyGracie said.

The people on the front line consider they are over managed by people who have no experience.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:17:30

Oreo

There were always some managers but the proliferation over the years has resulted in the mess now in place.
That Telegraph letter is not wrong.

Do you have direct experience at a senior level?

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:18:16

kittylester

The people on the front line consider they are over managed by people who have no experience.

I wonder if they actually know what "management" does.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:18:57

LadyGracie

Maybe the government should stop issuing more and more targets.

Luckygirl3 Wed 16-Nov-22 13:19:16

I think the letter-writer is complaining abut the fact that managers are taking decisions that need to be taken by those with on-the-ground experience.

Clearly you need administrators to put decisions into practice - recruitment, buildings etc. but those who take the decisions need to be people who know what they are talking about.

volver Wed 16-Nov-22 13:21:41

growstuff

kittylester

I wonder if they actually know what "management" does.

Not an anecdote about the NHS, but about knowing what managers do...

The manufacturing company I worked in decided to have 2 people from the "factory floor" on the senior management team. In part, because there were lots of complaints that the managers didn't have any idea what was right for the company.

When they finally managed to get a couple of people to take on the responsibility, they lasted two meetings then decided it was too hard.

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:22:00

King's Fund (2012):

"The NHS in England is a £100 billion-a-year-plus business. It sees 1 million patients every 36 hours, spending nearly £2 billion a week. Aside from the banks, the only companies with a larger turnover in the FTSE 100 are the two global oil giants Shell and BP. If the NHS were a country it would be around the thirtieth largest in the world.

If anything, our analysis seems to suggest that the NHS, particularly given the complexity of health care, is under- rather than over-managed."

www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/health-and-social-care-bill/mythbusters/nhs-managers

growstuff Wed 16-Nov-22 13:23:19

Luckygirl3

I think the letter-writer is complaining abut the fact that managers are taking decisions that need to be taken by those with on-the-ground experience.

Clearly you need administrators to put decisions into practice - recruitment, buildings etc. but those who take the decisions need to be people who know what they are talking about.

The government actually makes most decisions. The managers just enforce them.

volver Wed 16-Nov-22 13:23:22

Luckygirl3

Managers are not administrators.

signed, a former manager

(Who generally knew what she was talking about. Not NHS)

Oreo Wed 16-Nov-22 13:24:22

growstuff
Just because your sister was a manager in a hospital trust doesn’t mean that you are an expert.
Just as having a sister who was a teacher in a particular school doesn’t make a poster an expert on what happens in all schools.
There have been many articles written by hospital doctors and consultants over the past 25 years bemoaning the rise of the hospital managers.

Oreo Wed 16-Nov-22 13:27:10

Luckygirl3

Luckygirl3
A good summing up of the situation.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

welbeck Wed 16-Nov-22 13:33:25

the letter writer seems to ignore the input of nursing staff in the efficient running of a hospital.