Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

DGS unhappy about convos not involving him

(58 Posts)
HappyBut Sat 22-Oct-22 22:54:48

9yo DGS told DD he feels invisible when we get together. I rarely see DD on her own and I definitely don't ignore DGS. Have invited DGS to tea by himself but DD says he doesn't want that and hasn't suggested an alternative resolution. DGS has always been consulted on any decision involving him. He has a baby sister and was refusing to go to school although that has improved since DD alerted school. Hoping that time will help and situation will resolve itself. This is a very new situation and suppose I should be glad he can express his feelings but I'm sad that I'm not being given a chance to speak to him. AIBU?

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Oct-22 14:16:25

Wrong thread, sorry! blush

Norah Wed 26-Oct-22 14:26:51

I find time to talk to our daughters on the phone, when out with them, or when their children are well occupied.

Indeed, interrupting is rude.

However out GC have trivia they very much want to tell to us - our daughters really can wait as they've lots of time for and means of communication.

I post this knowing nothing our daughters talk to me about "impromptu" is important anyway or they would have given thought to the timing and their childrens desires to be in the mix with me.

Perhaps not everyone agrees, opinions differ, as usual.

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Oct-22 14:30:19

Children should not interrupt adult conversations.

However, ignoring children is wrong too.

Can you visit DD sometimes when DGS is at school, HappyBut?

welbeck Wed 26-Oct-22 15:01:32

i agree with Anneeba.

Herefornow Wed 02-Nov-22 08:16:13

See if you go back and read op, does it actually say he interrupts, i don't see that? It says he has said to his mother afterwards that he feels invisible.

Can we please stop ragging on the kid for interrupting?

MawtheMerrier Wed 02-Nov-22 10:06:31

One of my grandchildren is a singleton and a gentle good natured little boy (6) who is very outgoing and friendly .
I don’t get to see my D as often as I might like so I like to catch up with her, but she is also very tactful and aware that the little chap can feel left out if the grown ups just talk amongst themselves.
I saw them for lunch on Sunday and was only there for 3 hours or so (long drive to Norfolk and didn’t want to do all the return journey in the dark.) She reminded me that he had really been looking forward to seeing me and was sad that I couldn’t stay over ( couldn’t get dog care) and quietly asked me to give him lots of attention. She was right of course- we can sometimes forget that when we see our AC and the relationship between grandparent and child is a very precious one.

Norah Wed 02-Nov-22 11:57:25

MawtheMerrier

One of my grandchildren is a singleton and a gentle good natured little boy (6) who is very outgoing and friendly .
I don’t get to see my D as often as I might like so I like to catch up with her, but she is also very tactful and aware that the little chap can feel left out if the grown ups just talk amongst themselves.
I saw them for lunch on Sunday and was only there for 3 hours or so (long drive to Norfolk and didn’t want to do all the return journey in the dark.) She reminded me that he had really been looking forward to seeing me and was sad that I couldn’t stay over ( couldn’t get dog care) and quietly asked me to give him lots of attention. She was right of course- we can sometimes forget that when we see our AC and the relationship between grandparent and child is a very precious one.

Precisely what I was inarticulately attempting to say.

Our GC want us to talk to them, not our daughters. GC have important minutia to pass along - "Do you know it's autumn? All the leaves are falling up the beeeeg and widdle trees, lets go collect leaves."

We can phone our daughters, not even talk about coloured leaves.