Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Having all granddaughters

(62 Posts)
antonio6 Mon 12-Sep-22 01:22:36

Why is that some parents have all boys, all girls or vice versa and yet still have granddaughters?

TiggyW Wed 14-Sep-22 13:27:35

Our 5 year old grandson is one of only four boys in a class full of girls! ? Must be the local water! ?

Theoddbird Wed 14-Sep-22 13:41:22

I did laugh at this. Henry the eighth was so angry about having daughters. He divorced and beheaded wives because of it. Of course, back then, they did not realize that it was his sperm that decided on the sex of the baby....

Deedaa Wed 14-Sep-22 13:50:35

DH was the last male child in his family and the last hope to carry on the family name. Our three grandchildren are all boys so hopefully the name will carry on for a while yet.

Fernhillnana Wed 14-Sep-22 14:00:36

My DDs husband is one of 6 sons. All his siblings have had sons. My daughter is a little overdue with her little boy. But I’m ever hopeful she might have a little girl… I want her to have the joy that she’s given me.

antonio6 Wed 14-Sep-22 14:10:51

Fernhillnana

My DDs husband is one of 6 sons. All his siblings have had sons. My daughter is a little overdue with her little boy. But I’m ever hopeful she might have a little girl… I want her to have the joy that she’s given me.

I have four grandsons with high functioning autism. Three of them are grown and the other is still young. Are they having all sons, all daughters or vice versa. If I have great grandchildren from any of them, are they more likely to conceive sons?

Jayney715 Wed 14-Sep-22 14:55:12

We had a girl ?. Then our Daughter had two girls ??, My Sister had two girls, one Daughter had 2 boys, and the other one a girl.

Emelie321 Fri 16-Sep-22 08:29:10

Reading these posts, I can't help feeling you are all so lucky, whatever the sex of your GCs.

I have one GC, for whose existence I am deeply grateful for, thanks to IVF. There cannot be any more, as my daughter's husband now has a terminal illness. Which makes fostering or adoption not a choice they can make.

My other AC and partner have no children.

Sorry if this adds a sad note to a light hearted conversation! Love and good luck to you all xx

Nanawind Fri 16-Sep-22 08:43:56

On my DH side of the family our DD was the first girl in 5 generations.

hulahoop Fri 16-Sep-22 08:54:47

I'm a 7th daughter no brothers ,we mostly have one boy one girl.

Franbern Fri 16-Sep-22 09:39:37

Both set of g.parents were very clever in having equal numbers, Dad's parents, two of each, Mum's parents five of each ( at least that was what survived to adulthood).
My parents had me and my brother.
So......I broke that mould giving birth to four daughters and one son.
One of those daughters managed to get back into the equal numbers (two of each), the other three all gave birth only to girls. (My son and his wife chose not to have any).

Not that it matter, provided each baby is wanted, healthy and loved. I so wanted a girl with my first one, - that was my son. Then after four girls, adopted a second son.

Grams2five Fri 16-Sep-22 13:15:25

We have a good mix but has a good mix of children too. And they seem to come on waves - we had three sons, followed by three daughters! We now have three grandsons , followed by two granddaughters and three more grand babies due in the next six months - so it will be interesting to see the pattern of our baby boom! It will be a very busy winter here