Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Having all granddaughters

(62 Posts)
antonio6 Mon 12-Sep-22 01:22:36

Why is that some parents have all boys, all girls or vice versa and yet still have granddaughters?

Grams2five Fri 16-Sep-22 13:15:25

We have a good mix but has a good mix of children too. And they seem to come on waves - we had three sons, followed by three daughters! We now have three grandsons , followed by two granddaughters and three more grand babies due in the next six months - so it will be interesting to see the pattern of our baby boom! It will be a very busy winter here

Franbern Fri 16-Sep-22 09:39:37

Both set of g.parents were very clever in having equal numbers, Dad's parents, two of each, Mum's parents five of each ( at least that was what survived to adulthood).
My parents had me and my brother.
So......I broke that mould giving birth to four daughters and one son.
One of those daughters managed to get back into the equal numbers (two of each), the other three all gave birth only to girls. (My son and his wife chose not to have any).

Not that it matter, provided each baby is wanted, healthy and loved. I so wanted a girl with my first one, - that was my son. Then after four girls, adopted a second son.

hulahoop Fri 16-Sep-22 08:54:47

I'm a 7th daughter no brothers ,we mostly have one boy one girl.

Nanawind Fri 16-Sep-22 08:43:56

On my DH side of the family our DD was the first girl in 5 generations.

Emelie321 Fri 16-Sep-22 08:29:10

Reading these posts, I can't help feeling you are all so lucky, whatever the sex of your GCs.

I have one GC, for whose existence I am deeply grateful for, thanks to IVF. There cannot be any more, as my daughter's husband now has a terminal illness. Which makes fostering or adoption not a choice they can make.

My other AC and partner have no children.

Sorry if this adds a sad note to a light hearted conversation! Love and good luck to you all xx

Jayney715 Wed 14-Sep-22 14:55:12

We had a girl ?. Then our Daughter had two girls ??, My Sister had two girls, one Daughter had 2 boys, and the other one a girl.

antonio6 Wed 14-Sep-22 14:10:51

Fernhillnana

My DDs husband is one of 6 sons. All his siblings have had sons. My daughter is a little overdue with her little boy. But I’m ever hopeful she might have a little girl… I want her to have the joy that she’s given me.

I have four grandsons with high functioning autism. Three of them are grown and the other is still young. Are they having all sons, all daughters or vice versa. If I have great grandchildren from any of them, are they more likely to conceive sons?

Fernhillnana Wed 14-Sep-22 14:00:36

My DDs husband is one of 6 sons. All his siblings have had sons. My daughter is a little overdue with her little boy. But I’m ever hopeful she might have a little girl… I want her to have the joy that she’s given me.

Deedaa Wed 14-Sep-22 13:50:35

DH was the last male child in his family and the last hope to carry on the family name. Our three grandchildren are all boys so hopefully the name will carry on for a while yet.

Theoddbird Wed 14-Sep-22 13:41:22

I did laugh at this. Henry the eighth was so angry about having daughters. He divorced and beheaded wives because of it. Of course, back then, they did not realize that it was his sperm that decided on the sex of the baby....

TiggyW Wed 14-Sep-22 13:27:35

Our 5 year old grandson is one of only four boys in a class full of girls! ? Must be the local water! ?

LOUISA1523 Wed 14-Sep-22 13:18:50

My FIL was one of 4 boys....myDP has 2 brothers.....there were 8 grandsons and 3 GDs....there are now 12 GGDs and 2 GGSs ( i have 3 of the girls as my GDs).....there's no rhyme or reason to it really I think

Kayte Wed 14-Sep-22 13:00:09

Not a girl in sight for generations. No idea why.
No surprises (so far!) when a new baby arrives in our family.

I’m an only daughter with three brothers, each brother has two sons and their sons each has a son.

We have two sons and each of our sons has two sons. My husband had two brothers and each of them has two sons, who, in turn, have two sons each.

Fortunately, the ‘boys’ (of all generations) are all lovely. I have nice sisters in law, and best of all, my sons have chosen super, charming wives.

Keffie12 Wed 14-Sep-22 12:43:21

Loads of info on Google about it. It's all in the medical science. This is one of many links that is useful to read. It's to do with X and Y chromosomes. "There are more questions than answers" as the song goes ?

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211121835.htm

Leavingnormal Wed 14-Sep-22 11:58:19

Lathyrus

You can see the difference in sperm. Male sperm are thinner and have longer tails, are more active and move faster.

Female sperm are rounder, have shorter tails and move more slowly, but are longer lived.

So the point in the menstrual cycle when sex happens is part of the equation.

The second is the natural propensity for some men to produce more male or female sperm. That’s genetic.

The third is the chemical balance of the female vagina. It affects which sperm is most likely to get through.

We can do a lot naturally to sway the odds if one sex is desired.

But, of course, lots of countries offer IVF selection.

Very well explained, Lathyrus. Thank you. I knew the one about the chemical balance of the vagina. It was a theory when my aunt was having boys - she ended up with 6 of them - but wasn’t sure if the theory had held up to time. The others I really did not know about.

Juicylucy Wed 14-Sep-22 11:57:14

I had 2 girls and between them they’ve had 3 girls. So all female family here to.

Chicklette Wed 14-Sep-22 11:54:40

I had three daughters. My brother had a daughter. My sister had a son. But he is transitioning to female, so another girl in that generation.

My eldest grandchildren are three boys and we now have one granddaughter. My brother’s daughter has 2 sons. I’ve always found it fascinating.

SparklyGrandma Wed 14-Sep-22 11:52:51

In my sisters husbands family, a girl has not been born for over 130 years.
Myself and siblings have all had boys, I have 5 granddaughters. In my fathers family, having all daughters or granddaughters is very common.
I reckon if my DS and DDiL tried for a sixth baby, I am not saying anything, but bet she would be their 6th girl.
I was told long ago by a wise woman at work, that more male babies fail in the womb and more boys are conceived to counter this. Something to do with females being stronger genetically because of our XX makeup.

JdotJ Wed 14-Sep-22 11:46:31

I only have one male cousin but six female cousins

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 14-Sep-22 07:22:18

nanna8, my mother was one of 5 girls. She would refer to the years of " first up, best dressed " ..

nanna8 Tue 13-Sep-22 07:11:43

My mum had 7 sisters, must have been fun in their house.

pinkprincess Mon 12-Sep-22 20:16:09

I have two children both boys
My DS1 has no family, my DS2 has four daughters and one son.
One of his daughters, the only one to produce children yet, has two both boys.
My mother had five children, four girls and one boy.
When she died she had 17 great grandchildren, only two were boys.
My father's brother had six, all boys.

SueDonim Mon 12-Sep-22 19:58:41

This talk of boys and girls has reminded me of a friend’s mother. She was having her baby at home, as people did back then, with dad kept well out of the picture. All went well and the baby arrived safely.

The midwife leant over the bannister and shouted down to the new father ‘Congratulations, Mr X, you’ve a beautiful baby daughter, now make everyone a cup of tea!’

She then went back to the new mother, who was acting a bit oddly and in moments, she had delivered a second baby! The midwife then returned to the landing and calling down to Mr X, informed him he had a gorgeous baby boy.

Mr X responded with ‘Make your blo*dy mind up, woman, which is it? I’d have thought you’d have known how to tell the difference between the two by now!’ ?

Grammaretto Mon 12-Sep-22 18:27:17

3 boys 1 girl here and now 5 DGD and 2 DGS so girls have the edge overall but pretty even. Good old mother nature.
You are always told you have a 50:50 chance each time. Slightly more boys because they aren't as strong so less likely to survive.

Lexisgranny Mon 12-Sep-22 18:14:08

After wall to wall boys, I asked for the news to be repeated when I heard I had a granddaughter!