Gransnet forums

Gardening

Bloody weeds coming up through the drive !

(43 Posts)
hazel93 Tue 05-Mar-24 15:42:10

Watched weather forecast meticulously this morning. What ? A day with no rain, the attack is on. Diligently mixed bicarb, vinegar, water into old sprayer. Two thirds of the way through a spot of rain, then a torrent for 3 minutes - so pissed off.
Did not help DH arriving back to tell me "Its dry everywhere but here.
Priceless !

Grannybags Tue 05-Mar-24 16:21:12

My husband brushes rock salt into the cracks on our block paving. Works like magic! Haven’t had one weed since it went down about 3 months ago.

It helps if it gets rained in too!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 16:23:20

I feel your pain. The waiting for a promised dry spell whilst watching the blighters grow - and then the heavens open when you think you’ve killed them.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 16:26:37

We have gravel - seems like acres of it …

Grannynannywanny Tue 05-Mar-24 16:30:16

Grannybags

My husband brushes rock salt into the cracks on our block paving. Works like magic! Haven’t had one weed since it went down about 3 months ago

I hadn’t heard of that and I must give it a try. Does it kill weeds already sprouting Grannybags or is it more of a preventative measure?

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 16:32:35

Hazel
does your weed killer mix work down to the roots or just kills the tops

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 16:36:12

My husband uses Roundup. Does the job.

Grannybags Tue 05-Mar-24 16:38:38

Grannynannywanny

Grannybags

My husband brushes rock salt into the cracks on our block paving. Works like magic! Haven’t had one weed since it went down about 3 months ago

I hadn’t heard of that and I must give it a try. Does it kill weeds already sprouting Grannybags or is it more of a preventative measure?

Killed every weed!

Grannynannywanny Tue 05-Mar-24 16:43:51

Thank you Grannybags. I was annoyed at myself for ordering a big tub of rock salt at the start of winter before I realised I had lots left over from last winter. Now I know what I’m going to do with it!

hazel93 Tue 05-Mar-24 18:22:31

Gwyllt

Hazel
does your weed killer mix work down to the roots or just kills the tops

Yep, kills the whole plant. Non chemical, cheap and harms absolutely nothing. That said it will kill any plants around it as the wind blows so definitely not for flower borders or your veg. patch !

hazel93 Tue 05-Mar-24 18:26:06

Germanshepherdsmum

My husband uses Roundup. Does the job.

Certainly does. Thought those days were gone though. No good to man nor beast .

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 18:32:51

Only used on weeds in the gravel.

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 18:56:54

Be careful using rock salt if you have animals, if the lick their paws it can kill them.

hazel93 Tue 05-Mar-24 19:00:14

Germanshepherdsmum

Only used on weeds in the gravel.

As is mine.

25Avalon Tue 05-Mar-24 19:06:59

You can get a lightweight propane weed burning wand to kill such weeds with.

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 23:14:42

Thanks Hazel will give it a go
What’s the proportions

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 23:16:19

I hoe gravel it’s cracks and tarmac that’s more problematic

Luckygirl3 Wed 06-Mar-24 00:06:55

I pour table salt over the weeds on the drive. It works well.

nanna8 Wed 06-Mar-24 00:26:39

Must try that. The worst ones are the dandelions that sprout up overnight . You can’t pull ‘em out, unlike oxalis which, although really prolific here, comes out easily. I found by accident that fly spray kills plants ( I sprayed a much loved, now dead passion fruit vine to kill the bugs on it) but too expensive for weeds.

AlwaysSmiling Wed 06-Mar-24 01:57:19

I used to use Roundup and it was great, but then I think they altered the make up of it because of all the controversy about it. After two weeks the weeds came back so now I just use White vinegar in a sprayer and it keeps clear for months.

Mamie Wed 06-Mar-24 05:34:45

I use 14% vinegar in a watering can and also pull the weeds out when I go past. We have the honeycomb fabric under the gravel which makes the roots much weaker.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 06-Mar-24 07:57:55

I’m going to buy MrOops a flame thrower, or the DIY equivalent, let’s hope he doesn’t set fire to the hedge, fence or cars……

nanna8 Wed 06-Mar-24 08:00:42

Oopsadaisy1

I’m going to buy MrOops a flame thrower, or the DIY equivalent, let’s hope he doesn’t set fire to the hedge, fence or cars……

Haha- you would get arrested over here with fire bans etc! 🔥

loopyloo Wed 06-Mar-24 08:03:21

Tried a weed wand but the weeds grow back very quickly and there have been some nasty accidents with the gas cylinders.

Esmay Thu 07-Mar-24 11:02:12

I use salt mixed into washing up liquid on a dry day .