Gransnet forums

Gardening

What flowers have you got open in the garden in January ?

(65 Posts)
paris123 Mon 29-Jan-24 12:43:33

I'm looking to buy some more plants that flowers in January for next year. Iv got some already that are in full flower at moment ie
red and yellow primroses
white beauty clematis
snow drops
my Camelia' golden anniversary' that always drop its buds before then open. Iv covered the plant this year with hope ll get some flowers as it has loads on there at moment.. Its in a large pot and l feed it every month with BFB, so im really hoping.
l like to have flowers l can cut for the house.. l dont have room for shrubs but any idea of anything else l could grow for flowers in January ?
Does any one have any hellebores that are flowering in January ?

J52 Mon 29-Jan-24 13:00:02

If you’ve got room a Viburnum Diana is a beautiful shrub with clusters of pink flowers before the leaves develop. It also has a fantastic fragrance. I grow mine in a large planter, it can be pruned after flowering to keep it in check.

J52 Mon 29-Jan-24 13:04:51

Re Hellebores, my hellebore argutifolius is flowering now, it is a segregated leaf variety and has a more upright structure with green/ white flowers. They are not cheap, but spread seedings freely.

tanith Mon 29-Jan-24 13:04:52

I have Winter flowering yellow Jasmine, pink Hellebores, Snowdrops just peeping through.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Jan-24 13:14:37

The only hellebores I have flowering at present are Helleborus foetidus (stinking hellebore - but I’ve never noticed a smell). A lovely bright green, really shines out.

JamesandJon33 Mon 29-Jan-24 13:17:00

Loads of camellias, red, pink and white. One lot of snowdrops and several daffodils in bud.

M0nica Mon 29-Jan-24 13:19:06

primroses, hellebores, snowdrops, daffodils

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Jan-24 17:00:15

I walk through the garden particularly on a still day and the whole garden is full of scent from the Christmas box and winter honeysuckle. Later -soon - they will be joined by the daphne.

The earliest flowers include snowdrops, iris uniguicularis (scented) and Helebore, soon to be joined by early daffs, iris lazica (for shade) and crocus.

Bella23 Mon 29-Jan-24 17:04:18

Snowdrops, cowslips, aconites, primulas and witch hazel.Lots of hellebore leaves but no flowers or buds.

Aldom Mon 29-Jan-24 17:13:20

Primulas, white and deep purple helibores, acconites, yellow winter Jasmine, and an autumn flowering cherry tree. Daffodils in bud. Camelia in bud. From September to February I feed with liquid seaweed. Helps the flowers. The rest of the year, ericaceous feed.

Aldom Mon 29-Jan-24 17:14:50

Re feeding: Camelia.

Aldom Mon 29-Jan-24 17:16:38

Correction! Camellia. Typing whilst on the bus. grin

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Jan-24 17:20:26

We have dwarf iris in bloom too.

Patsy70 Mon 29-Jan-24 17:25:53

Hellebores, Snowdrops, Viburnum Bodnantense ‘Dawn’, Mahonia.

Casdon Mon 29-Jan-24 17:27:05

Winter Sun mahonia is lovely, I’ve got some native primroses out on my bank, I prefer them to primulas. I’ve also got a clump of February Gold narcissi out, they are early this year - and strangely a purple heather that normally flowers in March is about to flower too.

kittylester Mon 29-Jan-24 21:41:58

We have 4 or 5 different hellebores, the masonic is fabulous as are the Batchelors Buttons. We has 2 daphnia that are about to flower and a winter box by the front door. We have a clematis, snowdrops and a very brave penstemon.

The rosemary is showing signs of flowering too.

MissAdventure Mon 29-Jan-24 21:44:15

My plants have gone to pot... pardon the pun.
I don't know if I'll restart anything this year.
Probably just some lovely tomatoes.

Coolgran65 Mon 29-Jan-24 22:18:22

My large Camellia is full of buds about to open. No other blooms but lots of evergreens.

lixy Mon 29-Jan-24 22:23:14

My Japanese quince is in a big pot and I trim it regularly so hasn't grown too large. It is just coming in to flower now - deep red blooms, yellow fruit in the Autumn.

woodenspoon Mon 29-Jan-24 22:24:18

Yellow jasmine, hellebores, bulbs poking through the soil, snowdrops, polyanthus all in flower. Lots of buds on the camellias too. Lifts your mood seeing them all once more.

lixy Mon 29-Jan-24 22:29:43

My hellebores niger, also known as the Christmas rose, is also in flower in a very sheltered space in the front garden. I have snowdrops, primulas, cyclamen and winter flowering pansies too.
The other things I have in flower now are shrubs so outside your remit.
I'm in the East Midlands, UK

Aldom Mon 29-Jan-24 22:34:56

I forgot the orange and dark blue winter pansies.

silverlining48 Mon 29-Jan-24 22:45:54

Our snowdrops were in bloom - and still are - at the beginning of December

Nannytopsy Tue 30-Jan-24 03:37:11

My prostrate rosemary is in flower, white quince, snowdrops, aconites, primroses, violas (in pots), clematis Jingle Bells and Sarcococca. Also hellebores but I don’t know the variety

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Jan-24 08:14:24

Oh yes winter clematis “freckles” loved by bees - big bumbles.