Gransnet forums

Gardening

Being prepared for next year

(30 Posts)
ExDancer Sun 15-Oct-23 14:45:14

Has anyone used 'Waspinators' satisfactorily?
I know wasp time is as good as over and the queens will soon be hibernating, but I've been inundated with the things all summer and am determined not to have a repeat next year.
We had three different nests - all in surprisingly close proximity to each other - so I'm sceptical as to whether the idea of false nests will deter them.
Have you tried the fake nests?

Quokka Sun 15-Oct-23 15:19:00

Yep. I have one hanging under each of my three garden parasols. Seems to work,

Ziplok Sun 15-Oct-23 21:53:50

I had one hanging from an acer tree this year, and it seemed to work.

MayBee70 Sun 15-Oct-23 21:58:38

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve had wasps living in my back wall all summer. Last time it was warm they were still coming and going. When should I put up a waspinator? Should I put up several?

ExDancer Mon 16-Oct-23 09:23:43

I don't know.
You can get them on Amazon in packs of 3 and 4 so I'm getting some and will pit them up fairly early next year. Maybe in March.
But I really don't know, which is why I'm asking .......

Redhead56 Mon 16-Oct-23 09:29:45

They have not really been a problem this year to be honest there’s been a lack of them.

Hetty58 Mon 16-Oct-23 09:40:25

ExDancer, yes, I always have a supply at the ready. I stuff them with rags, enclosed in a plastic bag, when i need to use them. I'm allergic to insect stings (and very afraid of wasps).

They have their limits, though. I use them in the garden, to keep the area near the house free of scavenging workers. They are brilliant for that. I've heard that they're useless where there's an existing nest. They fool worker wasps, but not emerging queens looking for a nest site in your loft, for instance.

I also have the spray foam wasp nest killer - to be used with utmost caution - or get an expert in. If you spot the beginnings of a nest, the foam (used at night, from a distance) should destroy it.

Thankfully, this year, in London, I've seen very few of them around!

Hetty58 Mon 16-Oct-23 09:48:42

MayBee70, it's too late for this year - and they should die out soon in the cold weather. They won't use the same nest next year - but could find another place in your wall. There are fine mesh airbrick covers - and you can have any entrance holes blocked once they have gone.

At the college (where I worked) a caretaker decided to cement over the entrance to a nest - in mid summer. The result was an entire outside wall and windows covered with thousands of returning wasps - unable to go home - and we evacuated for the afternoon, calling in the experts!

MayBee70 Mon 16-Oct-23 12:43:43

I’ve got holes all over my back wall. In fact when I was looking at it a few months ago something else started exploring another hole in the masonry: I think it was a large bee. They’re getting in around the windows, too. Our local handyman is going to fill the holes in but it wouldn’t surprise me if they find another way in.

Quokka Mon 16-Oct-23 14:41:30

I feel sorry for the wasps and bees and all animals displaced by humans. My garden is bee and butterfly friendly. And birds, and wasps and so on. Somehow it’s not a problem even though I’ve been stung twice this year.

Quokka Mon 16-Oct-23 14:43:06

MayBee70

I’ve got holes all over my back wall. In fact when I was looking at it a few months ago something else started exploring another hole in the masonry: I think it was a large bee. They’re getting in around the windows, too. Our local handyman is going to fill the holes in but it wouldn’t surprise me if they find another way in.

I do sympathise if they are getting into your house through your back wall though.

biglouis Mon 16-Oct-23 14:54:25

I hate wasps. I was stung on the lip by one as a child and my face swelled up. I had to be taken to A&E and it seems Im allergic to wasp stings.

MayBee70 Mon 16-Oct-23 16:57:24

Thankfully they aren’t getting into the house but it means I can’t open any windows. My last dog had to be rushed to the vets after being stung by a wasp and I would assume my current dog would be the same. Whippets have very little body fat and do tend to over react to things. They can get in through the tiniest spaces though. When I was working I kept finding wasps everywhere. They were coming in from the loft via a tine hole where the burglar alarm sensor wire went through the ceiling.

Mallin Tue 17-Oct-23 11:36:24

Found a thriving wasp nest in a dilapidated allotment shed. Was told to get in touch with the council, who would remove it free of charge. And they did.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 17-Oct-23 12:49:15

I’ve used waspinators successfully to persuade the wasps to move further away from the house. There are plenty of trees around.

Sasta Tue 17-Oct-23 13:29:58

I’ve never heard of those. I’m not sure they’d help with our problem of ground wasps. Our entire front garden, lawn and borders are full of hundreds of individual wasps’ nests. They are everywhere. Called our local council (who dealt with a large nest previously) but they no longer offer that service.

knspol Tue 17-Oct-23 14:07:18

MayBee70, I have the same problem on a south facing wall, can't sit outside without swiping away wasps, can watch them going into the tiny holes in the between the bricks. Never heard of waspinators before but my order will be going in asap.

TillyWhiz Tue 17-Oct-23 14:09:50

I have 2 where wasps had had nests in the past and they have definitely worked

MayBee70 Tue 17-Oct-23 14:28:42

What is annoying is that they’ve been using the wood from my garden fence to build it.

Oldbat1 Tue 17-Oct-23 14:32:44

I maybe wrong but Im sure i read they only use their nests once. We had an enormous nest in the loft the year we moved in but the builders dealt with it. This year i did find a few wasps in the front bedroom crawling on the carpet and up the curtains - i just shut the small window. I am impressed with their nests just as long as it is somewhere far from the house.

yellowfox Tue 17-Oct-23 15:03:35

The first time I had one I made it myself from bin bags pulled into shape .
Definately keeps most of them away. I pnly see the odd one or two.

Noname Tue 17-Oct-23 17:34:08

Yes, we take one on holiday to Greece and hang it under our parasol at the accommodation (near the outside dining table) and have noticed the difference in the amount of wasps nearby.

Primrose53 Tue 17-Oct-23 17:37:49

For my birthday last week a friend bought me some tulip bulbs and a lovely plant with orange berries. Have planted those today.

I bought 15 cyclamen plants for my window boxes and I went out to do those today but my marigolds and petunias are still flowering and I can’t bear to pull them out. The blue lobelia has finished though so they came out. Have to wait another week I guess.

Gundy Tue 17-Oct-23 17:59:28

Bee and wasp stings can be fatal for some people. That’s terrifying.

I’m not sure what the best method of eradicating them is but here’s what I learned from a friend… she was digging in her garden one beautiful sunny day and she hit a nest underground. They came at her with a vengeance and was stung 70 times‼️
Ended up in Emergency, she thought she was going to die.

I only thought wasp/hornets nests were in trees or behind shutters or under eaves. They may be underground in your garden. Best to have them professionally removed.

She now carries an Epi-pen in her purse during warm weather.
USA Gundy

Summerfly Wed 18-Oct-23 10:00:10

Unfortunately wasps are pollinators and boy do we need them! Please try any other method, but don’t kill them.