Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden gone mad!!

(27 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sun 08-Oct-23 11:55:25

My plum tree is in full bloom again and my wild flower patch has new blossoms!

V3ra Sun 08-Oct-23 12:11:04

My outdoor tomatoes are still flowering! 🍅

Redhead56 Sun 08-Oct-23 12:12:53

I am in the process of cutting back the herbs the rosemary is beginning to look like a tree!

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Oct-23 17:07:42

My garden's gone mad too. The berries on the Pyracantha are really dense and the grass is growing fast and there are new buds on the Hydrangeas.

Ziplok Mon 09-Oct-23 16:42:11

My hypericum is showing another flush of blooms, along with the spiraea. In past years, they’ve usually stopped flowering by now.
I think it has been a confusing year for many plants.

Aldom Mon 09-Oct-23 16:54:16

My Phlox has only just begun to flower. Normal flowering time is July to September.
Primulas have never stopped flowering this year. Normal flowering time January to May.
Currently my garden is full of colour, including a mass of roses.

Aldom Mon 09-Oct-23 17:00:34

The Nerines usually flower in September but are late this year.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Oct-23 17:11:59

I ve got three cowslips in bloom and quite a lot of grape hyacinths up and shooting about 3 or 4 inches high
They re about 5 months early
My nerines are just out too Aldom

Mizuna Mon 09-Oct-23 19:53:16

My son is still harvesting strawberries and grapes from his back garden. My geraniums in tubs are re-flowering as are various shrubs which I thought had finished for the year.

MayBee70 Mon 09-Oct-23 19:57:43

Not just gardens. I don't go out much these days but a rare drive to the shops today showed road signs obscured by trees and bushes, partly as a result of not cutting back the hedges to help wildlife; a good idea in a way but everything looks so messy. And it's dangerous if road signs aren't visible.

lixy Mon 09-Oct-23 20:24:14

Two poppies burst into bloom in my front garden this morning - they set off the Winter pansies beautifully!!

I agree with Maybee that the road signs need to be visible all year round.

Aldom Mon 09-Oct-23 20:41:57

* BlueBelle* your Nerines are spectacular. I lost most of mine and several agapanthus last winter. I'm Oxfordshire.

Callistemon21 Mon 09-Oct-23 21:04:14

Ours is blooming!

Kim19 Mon 09-Oct-23 21:11:31

My Wisteria has taken on a new lease of life. Amazing.

Skydancer Mon 09-Oct-23 21:13:09

My Camellias are in bud! They didn't flower back in the Spring!

JaneJudge Mon 09-Oct-23 21:15:18

it has been so hot today and I have just taken the dog a walk in a lightweight cardigan and vest! (and trousers)

RosesandLilac Tue 10-Oct-23 08:13:46

My ranunculus has started flowering again, I noticed buds on a number of plants still including my roses.

Jodieb Wed 11-Oct-23 13:38:35

I have been enjoy picking up acorns fallen from my tree with my pick up stick and hearing a satisfactory 'clunk' as they hit the bucket.

Joseann Wed 11-Oct-23 13:48:51

Skydancer

My Camellias are in bud! They didn't flower back in the Spring!

Same here.

Joseann Wed 11-Oct-23 13:52:07

And I've no idea what this weird thing is just appearing now. Can I eat it?!

Azalea99 Wed 11-Oct-23 14:23:19

Joseann I believe you can, although maybe it’s a little too late now because it has flowered.

As I understand it, Fatsia shoots are considered a delicacy in Korea. As far as I know the berries are also edible. However, please don’t just take my word for it - and although my plant has two shoots I definitely won’t be eating them!

Cagsy Wed 11-Oct-23 14:28:29

We had a blue tit visit the nesting box several times on Saturday, would hate them to get so confused they start nest building!

Callistemon21 Wed 11-Oct-23 14:34:12

Cagsy

We had a blue tit visit the nesting box several times on Saturday, would hate them to get so confused they start nest building!

Well, that's confirmed what I saw 🙂 We have a nest box for blue tits which has been there two or three seasons but never used. I saw some blue tits inspecting it at the weekend and thought either they must be confused or I was seeing things.

MaggsMcG Wed 11-Oct-23 14:38:30

My tomatoes have bloomed again but I don't think there's time to get any actual tomatoes. My lavender which I pruned for the Winter at the beginning of September as it had all died back, has now flowered again.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Oct-23 15:57:35

This sort of thing has been happening in Denmark for the last couple of years.

But our road signs are visible, as you are fined if your trees or bushes overhang public paths, pavements or roads, or obscure road signs. And the works dept. are at liberty to cut them back if householders don't do so, and then send the bill for their time to the householder.

My estragon is flourishing and in some of the neighbouring gardens rhododendrons are coming into bloom!