Gransnet forums

Gardening

? Gardeners World ?

(28 Posts)
Millie22 Sat 27-Aug-22 14:37:33

Did anyone watch GW last night. Adam was presenting from his new smaller garden.

merlotgran Sat 27-Aug-22 14:40:29

Apparently Monty is having a few weeks off. Hope he’s OK.

Daisymae Sat 27-Aug-22 14:54:58

He's probably on some global eco trip ?

J52 Sat 27-Aug-22 14:56:30

I was just thinking that Adam seemed a bit lacklustre. I wonder if he’s ok, having downsized considerably.
I did like the gardening philosophy of the chap in the hat and smock, sorry I don’t recall his name.

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 15:08:01

Monty is doing the Radio 4 Appeal tomorrow morning for the Soil Association re peat free soil. I expect that’s a recorded programme.

Casdon Sat 27-Aug-22 15:09:29

Monty’s fine I think, he’s on Twitter anyway. He’s got a new series about Spanish gardens coming out in the next few months, so he could well be over there filming. * J52* do you mean Joe Swift? I like him.

Millie22 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:07:16

No Casdon on last night's programme there was a piece that featured a man wearing a smock type garment and a hat!

I like Joe Swift as well ... he nearly always wears a hat.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:26:50

Why did Adam move, as his home was so delightful, and I thought he saw it as a very long term project?

Patsy70 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:32:30

I haven’t watched it yet, but believe that Adam has had a difficult time of late. If I remember correctly, his wife has long COVID.
I also like Joe Swift - he is the son of the late Clive Swift (Mr Bouquet in Keeping up Appearances) and was in many other programmes.

Casdon Sat 27-Aug-22 16:39:28

Millie22

No Casdon on last night's programme there was a piece that featured a man wearing a smock type garment and a hat!

I like Joe Swift as well ... he nearly always wears a hat.

Sorry Millie22, I haven’t had chance to watch last nights episode yet, I just associated Joe Swift with the hat (it does really suit him!).

Beechnut Sat 27-Aug-22 16:44:52

I liked the man in the smock. He said his wife made it for him.
That’s a nice photo of Joe Swift that you’ve posted Casdon.

Redhead56 Sat 27-Aug-22 17:29:31

It's been recorded I watch it tomorrow.

J52 Sat 27-Aug-22 17:55:45

No it wasn’t Joe Swift. A few years I saw Joe Swift doing a one man talk show, he was very entertaining and hardly mentioned gardening! But he was gracious enough to invite questions at the end and some could be on the topic of gardens.
The man who owned last night’s garden was delightful and had my style of garden.

muse Sat 27-Aug-22 18:14:32

I’ve read an interview Adam did earlier this year when he said he wanted more time with his family. TV and other garden events were making his life chaotic with little thinking time. They wanted to slow down.

I’ve just finished mowing so I’ll now do that. Slow down, pour a G+T and look forward to catching up with last nights GW.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-Aug-22 18:19:39

Patsy70

I haven’t watched it yet, but believe that Adam has had a difficult time of late. If I remember correctly, his wife has long COVID.
I also like Joe Swift - he is the son of the late Clive Swift (Mr Bouquet in Keeping up Appearances) and was in many other programmes.

Well, I never knew that.

I did like Clive Swift ? He was a very versatile actor.

Oh, Clive was married to Margaret Drabble who is Joe's mother!

You learn something new every day on GN

Abitbarmy Sat 27-Aug-22 19:23:15

Oh yes I can see it now! Every day’s a school day as they say. Joe Swift is very knowledgeable but Adam is my favourite.

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 21:14:22

Oh, just watched the programme - the guy in the smock made by his late wife made me want to cry. What a lovely man, and such affinity with his plants.

J52 Sat 27-Aug-22 21:22:17

I hope Adam is able to spend more time with his family and can nurture them as he does with his plants.

merlotgran Tue 30-Aug-22 16:59:54

A little bit of trivia….Gert Schley and Charles Dowding (of No Dig fame) are neighbours. Their Somerset gardens back on to one another

Millie22 Sat 03-Sep-22 09:59:25

Monty was missing again last night so it was a programme with Adam and another presenter.

I loved the alleyway garden and all the different planters even a bread bin and a pair of old trousers ?

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:26:17

I missed the name of the other presenter but she had one of those soothing, lovely voices I could listen to all evening ?

I like Adam too.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:26:44

That alleyway garden was wonderful!

merlotgran Sat 03-Sep-22 10:48:54

Lovely programme last night. Adam’s voice amuses me the way it suddenly lurches up and down the scale but he’s a nice presenter.

The alley garden was amazing. I must drill some holes in my old bread bin! I doubt his wife will ever get him to move and I bet the neighbours want to keep him.

Casdon Sat 03-Sep-22 12:04:07

I loved that alleyway garden too, and I’d like him as my neighbour! There was a good choice of home gardeners this week, I thought the guy with the vegetable growing tiny backyard was very inventive as well.

FindingNemo15 Sat 03-Sep-22 12:28:07

Has Adam moved again? I am confused.