Gransnet forums

Food

Poached eggs help please

(45 Posts)
AussieGran59 Sat 19-Nov-22 08:46:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nannagarra Sat 19-Nov-22 09:05:13

Some people poach eggs in swirl boiling water to which vinegar has been added, some cook them in a mug in the microwave but I never fail with silicone poaching pods.

Sago Sat 19-Nov-22 09:31:09

I have a silicone mould that goes in my instant pot, 4 minutes for perfect eggs.
Otherwise a shallow frying pan water salt and vinegar, add eggs just as the water is starting to boil, turn down heat and poach 3 minutes.

25Avalon Sat 19-Nov-22 09:35:22

Apparently if an egg is completely fresh you need do nothing except put it in the water. It will automatically form a nice ball. I heard this recently on a cookery/country programme but I can’t remember which. Anyone else verify this from experience?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 19-Nov-22 09:42:08

I use the same pods as Nannagarra on the odd occasion that I bother to poach eggs. If they are well-buttered, they give a fairly good result.

For me, I find them hardly worth the effort, so soft boil them instead, it still tastes like an egg, after all.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Nov-22 09:48:33

After trying various allegedly tried and tested methods, including vinegar, whirlpools etc., I do this. Bring water to the boil in a kettle, pour it into a pan on a high heat, turn it down to medium. Break egg into a small dish and then slide into the bubbling water. Have the timer set for 2 minutes. Lift egg out with slotted spoon and drain on a piece of kitchen paper. Trim off any wispy bits of white. Serve. Yes, using fresh eggs ensures the egg white doesn’t spread.

MaizieD Sat 19-Nov-22 09:58:21

I think it all depends on what one's idea of a 'just right' poached egg is.

I can't bear runny egg yolk, so, for example. Ladyleftfieldlover's poached egg would have me heaving...

So what is AussieGran59's OH's idea of a perfect poached egg?

Nannagarra Sat 19-Nov-22 10:01:33

* a swirl of

Kim19 Sat 19-Nov-22 10:24:15

I put an inch of water into a teacup, break in an egg then microwave for 1 min 15 secs (different powers different times). Delicious! Actually takes longer to make the toast.

Dinahmo Sat 19-Nov-22 10:26:52

25Avalon

Apparently if an egg is completely fresh you need do nothing except put it in the water. It will automatically form a nice ball. I heard this recently on a cookery/country programme but I can’t remember which. Anyone else verify this from experience?

The older the egg the more likely the white will feather when put into water

Dinahmo Sat 19-Nov-22 10:28:01

Once on holiday in France, many years ago our first course was poached eggs which were then deep fried. Delicious but fattening.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Nov-22 10:28:54

Yes this:
I think it all depends on what one's idea of a 'just right' poached egg is

I'd probably do it for a bit longer than two minutes.

I've tried microwaving, tried silicone things but gone back to a small pan, simmering water and a splash of cider vinegar until it's done to satisfaction. Slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper.

Blondiescot Sat 19-Nov-22 10:31:06

Ladyleftfieldlover

After trying various allegedly tried and tested methods, including vinegar, whirlpools etc., I do this. Bring water to the boil in a kettle, pour it into a pan on a high heat, turn it down to medium. Break egg into a small dish and then slide into the bubbling water. Have the timer set for 2 minutes. Lift egg out with slotted spoon and drain on a piece of kitchen paper. Trim off any wispy bits of white. Serve. Yes, using fresh eggs ensures the egg white doesn’t spread.

Exactly how I do mine too - perfect every time. Lovely runny poached eggs.

eazybee Sat 19-Nov-22 11:05:08

I use the silicone moulds regularly in an old shallow omelette pan with boiling water for 4-5 minutes; perfect.

Liz46 Sat 19-Nov-22 11:09:03

I'm following this hoping for inspiration. I watch Four in a Bed sometimes and see some lovely poached eggs but I am a bit of a failure.
The silicone moulds went in the bin.

Redhead56 Sat 19-Nov-22 11:09:08

Small pan with enough simmering water to cover the egg. Put a few drops of vinegar in and swirl water. Crack egg in small cup gently ease into water leave to simmer for a minute take off the heat. Leave it for another minute then take out with slotted spoon.

essjay Sat 19-Nov-22 11:10:04

i just crack straight into boiling water, nothing added, 3-4 minutes later perfect poached eggs

snowberryZ Sat 19-Nov-22 11:15:33

Kim19

I put an inch of water into a teacup, break in an egg then microwave for 1 min 15 secs (different powers different times). Delicious! Actually takes longer to make the toast.

I'm going to try this.

Rosie51 Sat 19-Nov-22 11:16:20

I've watched my daughter-in-law crack 6 or more eggs into a big bowl, then tip the lot into a big pan of boiling water. Each egg came out separate, beautifully shaped and cooked to perfection. I struggle to do this method for one!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 11:28:31

The silicone mould method is fine if you like the sort of poached eggs we had years ago in a little pan with a lid.

They are nothing like a water poached egg. I like them but would not want one if I was hoping for a "real" poached egg.

To water -poach a single egg I gently stir the water in a large pan once it's boiled and turn it to nearly off.
I wait till major bubbles stop and gently put the egg in the middle. The white wraps round the yolk and lift it out when done enough using a slotted spoon.
No salt, no vinegar.

If I'm cooking for a big family like mine I use my enormous omelette pan and a frying pan so I can do eight eggs at once.
Basically I boil water in them (2-3cms deep) make sure the water comes to a rolling boil and then switch them down to barely on. (I also make a kettle of boiling water in case I've not quite got the water deep enough).
Next I pop four eggs into each pan in the just-off-the-boil water and then if needed I pour a little more kettle water into the pan if the yolks are exposed above water level.
They usually are easy to see if they are cooked "perfectly". They come out flatter (like a fat fried egg shape) rather than a yolk fully wrapped in egg white but they taste like individually poached ones.
...And it means no-one has to wait!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 11:31:01

Rosie51

I've watched my daughter-in-law crack 6 or more eggs into a big bowl, then tip the lot into a big pan of boiling water. Each egg came out separate, beautifully shaped and cooked to perfection. I struggle to do this method for one!

I need her skills!
Fabulous!
Can we have a video demo please?
grin

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 11:33:31

This is what I do and this is what they look like:

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/how-to-poach-several-eggs-at-once/xtedrvga

Blossoming Sat 19-Nov-22 11:36:11

I love runny egg yolks but hate slimy egg whites! This is why I usually have scrambled eggs.

ParlorGames Sat 19-Nov-22 11:38:00

snowberryZ

Kim19

I'm going to try this.

Me too! I have a set of silicone moulds and they are a pain in the **! Doesn't matter how well I 'butter' them the eggs still stick and end up looking like road kill. Plus I have to heave out the largest saucepan otherwise all four moulds won't fit in together.

shysal Sat 19-Nov-22 12:06:29

I use Poachies. I buy them 100 at a time on line as I have 2 poached eggs for breakfast most days. These bags give a compact shape even when the eggs are not very fresh, when the whites can spread into the water with conventional cooking.
Poachies