Gransnet forums

Food

Cornflour disappearing from supermarket shelves?

(60 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 15-Nov-22 21:53:44

From latest news in the DT

Used to do everything from thickening Sunday roast gravies to making shortbread biscuits light and crumbly, cornflour was, and is, a necessity for most home cooks.
But now there are fears it could disappear from supermarket shelves forever after Tesco announced it was no longer selling the product as a result of “low customer demand
The revelation came after one unhappy customer posted on Twitter asking the company why it was no longer stocking cornflour
A spokesman for Tesco responded by saying: “Cornflour has been discontinued because of low customer demand I'm afraid “.”
This prompted outrage on the internet forum for parents, Mumsnet, with users saying that although they often didn’t buy the product more than once every six months, it was still an essential part of their food cupboard

Quick check kitchen cupboards-yes, got one! .

Caleo Tue 15-Nov-22 21:55:47

I know. I gave up trying to buy it. I use plain flour for making roux.

Fleurpepper Tue 15-Nov-22 21:57:01

Wow I use cornflour a lot and am really surprises about low customer demand.

But a roux is supposed to be made with normal flour.

growstuff Tue 15-Nov-22 22:05:10

I haven't used cornflour for years, so I'm one who has contributed to its disappearance from the shelves.

Oreo Tue 15-Nov-22 22:05:44

Nope, never used it and we have all survived.grin

Oreo Tue 15-Nov-22 22:06:19

I think blancmange may have gone the same way.

merlotgran Tue 15-Nov-22 22:10:40

I use cornflour quite a bit because I can’t tolerate gluten. I managed to get a packet from Morrisons last week after searching for three weeks.

I wonder why people don’t use it much these days? It was always a kitchen cupboard staple.

25Avalon Tue 15-Nov-22 22:12:38

Ordered and received a box from Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like I will have to stockpile. I use it to thicken gravy and Welsh Rarebit. McDougals do a thickener but it’s not as good.

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:27:31

I use Cornflour to thicken casseroles, but it from Ocado.

tanith Tue 15-Nov-22 22:30:40

I’ve looked in Tesco and Sainsbury to no avail but my daughter got me some in Aldi.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Nov-22 22:41:26

I bought some recently in B and M they seemed to have plenty Didn’t realise there was a shortage I use cornflour for thickening soups, vegi stews, cauliflower cheese etc etc so use it a fair bit

Urmstongran Tue 15-Nov-22 22:45:19

Oh heck.
It’s my go-to when making gravy. I used two forkfuls this evening to make some, adding a few drops of gravy browning.
Seems I might have to learn new tricks.

Old Dog.

welbeck Tue 15-Nov-22 22:45:55

i have never bought it.
don't really know what it is.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:47:05

I'm demanding it!

Cabbie21 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:49:10

I always use it for cheese sauce and occasionally for thickening.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:51:19

Tesco don't have any.

It's as if it never was!

Cornflour is not that expensive, blends easily and, most importantly, is gluten-free.

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Nov-22 23:15:08

Many kitchen uses for cornflour. In addition to the ones outlined - some meringue, cake decorating, Turkish delight...

Lots of educational experiments using it.

Great (and safe) instead of talc too!

My last purchase was from Ocado I think.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 23:17:19

NotSpaghetti

Many kitchen uses for cornflour. In addition to the ones outlined - some meringue, cake decorating, Turkish delight...

Lots of educational experiments using it.

Great (and safe) instead of talc too!

My last purchase was from Ocado I think.

Meringue for pavlova needs a small spoonful of cornflour.
Ordinary flour will not work.

It seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Why?

Margiknot Tue 15-Nov-22 23:23:53

I could not buy cornflour last time I needed a new pack. I bought something called thickening flour instead- it is not corn flour, but works in a roux.

mumofmadboys Tue 15-Nov-22 23:31:39

I've never used cornflour to make pavlova. I follow the Delia Smith recipe.

Doodledog Wed 16-Nov-22 01:12:27

Sainsburys have it in stock at £1.75 for 500g.

I always have it in stock but don’t use it a lot (mainly in Chinese cooking), so I don’t know if that is expensive or not.

I added a pack to my order just in case #suggestible 😂

BlueBelle Wed 16-Nov-22 04:35:14

As I said up thread if you have a B and M it’s still there and cheap a lot of food is cheaper in B and M well worth a visit

JackyB Wed 16-Nov-22 05:25:29

I often substitute up to a quarter of the amount of flour for cornflour in cakes and biscuits for a lighter texture. And of course use it for thickening sauces where necessary. Here in Germany there is no question of it ever going out of fashion - well not for ten years at least. That is the amount of time it usually takes trends to get here.

When doing out a cupboard the other day, I discovered that I had two unopened packs - had forgotten I'd bought it and gone and bought another one "just in case". May be doing some baking with the grandchildren so it will come in handy.

Shall I send a carton over?

ilovepuffins Wed 16-Nov-22 06:29:17

Yes please JackyB !
I have to make a large batch of chocolate dipped shortbread and always use cornflour so will try Sainsburys later

teabagwoman Wed 16-Nov-22 07:55:22

Yet another problem to solve. I always use ground rice in my shortbread and that’s hit the buffers too. Hey ho!