Gransnet forums

Food

Plates or bowls for everyday eating?

(149 Posts)
lixy Sat 05-Nov-22 17:45:42

My DD uses shallow flattish bowls for most food and says they hardly ever use flat plates. I use plates for most things but bowls for pasta.
There's an article in the Telegraph today saying that the trend is away from plates and bowls are the 'in' thing. They are comforting apparently and can be held comfortably so feel the warmth through them as well as the food.
Which do you prefer?

JaneJudge Sat 05-Nov-22 17:47:27

we have both but if it requires a knife and fork, rather than just a fork, then I put it on a plate
Pizza/quiche etc on a plate too

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 05-Nov-22 17:50:58

Soups and Pasta in a bowl, everything else goes onto a plate.

How can you cut things up in a bowl?

midgey Sat 05-Nov-22 17:51:22

I tend to use a flattish bowl as it is smaller than my plates.

kittylester Sat 05-Nov-22 17:53:36

I suspect they don't mean bowls as in cereal type bowls but wide bottom bowls.

Alioop Sat 05-Nov-22 17:58:58

I've started to use a flattish bowl instead of a plate now as I find that gravy and sauces stay put.

Calendargirl Sat 05-Nov-22 18:03:34

And then, in a year or two, ‘bowls’ will be ‘out’, and ‘flat plates’ will be ‘in’ again.

And so it goes on…..

🍚 🍽

Visgir1 Sat 05-Nov-22 18:10:36

I probably only use flat plates once a week.
I now use flattish bowls (from M&S) and traditional pasta bowls most of the time now.

Never gave it a ought until I read this post. How things change?

tanith Sat 05-Nov-22 18:13:21

I use flat bottom bowls 3/4 times a week for pasta and rice dishes or just a bowl of salad.

Blossoming Sat 05-Nov-22 18:15:48

Bowls, I find them much easier for one handed eating.

Prentice Sat 05-Nov-22 18:33:08

Bowls are the trendy thing grin I have noticed in tv dramas.
As so many now do not bother with eating at a table, simply scoffing from a bowl while sitting on the sofa, watching tv makes it easier for them.
I am not at all trendy and like a plate, knife and fork and eating a meal sitting at a table while chatting.

Lucca Sat 05-Nov-22 18:36:43

I think bowls maybe encourage smaller portions ?

Obviously plates for “meat and two veg “

Prentice Sat 05-Nov-22 18:43:20

Yes Lucca I think you are right, and my daughter says whenever they eat out, it’s always a bowl that arrives with a small portion of a meal, she says it probably saves the pub or restaurant money.Not good if you are really hungry though.

watermeadow Sat 05-Nov-22 18:47:05

When on my own I always use a pasta bowl. It keeps the food much warmer than a plate. Glad to hear I’m trendy!

Fleurpepper Sat 05-Nov-22 18:59:38

Plate.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 19:06:10

I nearly always use a flattish bowl and have for years - I didn't realise I was trendy!

And I sit at a table when I eat.

NotAGran55 Sat 05-Nov-22 19:14:18

Plate for sandwiches, bowls for everything else, except the annual roast dinner on Christmas Day when the plate warmer puts in an appearance.

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 19:34:07

Still mainly use plates and sit at a table to eat, but I prefer sitting at a table to do almost anything, read a book, the newspaper, sewing, somewhere to put the radio and coffee cup safely beside me.

If not sitting at the table I am sitting at my desk, same thing.

Both my children still sit at a table to eat and use mainly flat plates and DGC are being brought up doing that as well.

Oldbat1 Sat 05-Nov-22 19:38:14

Depends on the meal. Tonight is was a plate but yesterday was a bowl meal. Sometimes I use a bowl but husband will use plate. No hard and fast rules.

TillyTrotter Sat 05-Nov-22 19:38:38

I bought some nice blue Habitat earthenware “pasta” bowls and we are using them more and more for our main meals.
It has an added bonus of holding a smaller portion (helps with calorie intake).
Less chance of food escaping off the edge too.

Rosie51 Sat 05-Nov-22 19:40:48

JaneJudge

we have both but if it requires a knife and fork, rather than just a fork, then I put it on a plate
Pizza/quiche etc on a plate too

Same here. My bowl plates are a shallow wide bowl but with a flat rim just like a flat plate. A roast demands a larger flat plate grin

travelsafar Sat 05-Nov-22 19:43:03

Flat bottomed bowl's for pasta, rice and salads because now on my own. I hardly ever sit at the kitchen table to eat since my husband died, it feels all 'wrong' and a bit lonely staring at the space he use to fill. Now I eat on the sofa with TV for company and use one of those lap tray with fabric filled with something.

overthehill Sat 05-Nov-22 19:49:16

Plates mainly, bowls for breakfast and desserts

SueDonim Sat 05-Nov-22 20:43:08

Mainly plates, eating at the table. The cat eats out of a bowl grin although I use pasta dishes for…um…pasta and stir frys sometimes. Plates fit better into the dishwasher.

lixy Sat 05-Nov-22 21:04:13

Hadn't thought about a bowl being a good way to control portion size; that's a good tip.

G'children say they only eat at the table when they are with us or it's a special occasion at home, so bowls make sense.

Guess I'll have to get hip and happening!