Gransnet forums

Food

(Drink, not food) G & T Question ?

(38 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 08-Oct-22 14:47:46

_Trigger Warning_: This is a very first world problem

I’ve recently gone off gin and tonic, well, the tonic part really.
I find it too sweet.

My usual is whatever Fevertree tonic is on offer, usually the Mediterranean one.

Any ideas for a more dry tonic water please?

Thank you smile

MiniMoon Sat 08-Oct-22 14:52:59

My favourite brand of tonic is Fentimans. They have several different varieties. They do a really good dry one.

MerylStreep Sat 08-Oct-22 14:56:48

I prefer Nordic Mist. ? ?

Galaxy Sat 08-Oct-22 15:14:03

First world problem? That's the one of the most serious problems I have ever heard of. Thinking of you fanny flowers

FannyCornforth Sat 08-Oct-22 15:19:48

Thank you Galaxy
I knew that you’d understand.
It’s particularly upsetting as it’s almost M&S light up gin season too ?

Callistemon21 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:23:51

Try squeezing the juice of a lime into it, nice and sharp - one of your five a day, too! ?

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-Oct-22 15:28:53

I'd make sure you opt for an Indian style tonic as they have the quinine bitterness.
Try Double Dutch Indian tonic water.
?

Norah Sat 08-Oct-22 15:33:08

Fentimans is our choice for dry tonic water.

FannyCornforth Sat 08-Oct-22 15:34:02

Thank you! These are great, especially the ? idea
I have tried Double Dutch before (the cucumber one) and it was very
acceptable

Joseanne Sat 08-Oct-22 15:39:26

I don't think you can beat Fevertree personally.
Having said that, last week I had a clotted cream g & t and the F tonic certainly did it no favours. I might have to try again with a different type.

buffyfly9 Sat 08-Oct-22 17:19:52

Don't scream in horror but I can recommend the tins of gin and tonic (premixed) from Lidl at 85p a tin. I love Gordon's gin and fevertree as much as the next woman but these are so nice straight from the fridge, a slice of lemon or lime and Bob's your uncle.

Hellogirl1 Sat 08-Oct-22 17:24:31

Can`t stand gin!

kazzerb Sat 08-Oct-22 17:35:59

I use Vive Indian tonic water from Aldi. I chop lemon and limes in to chunks and freeze them. Keeps my drink cool and I squeeze them with my stirrer as they defrost. Tastes amazing. I also use plastic ice cubes so my drink isn't watered down when normal ice cubes melt.

Georgesgran Sat 08-Oct-22 19:36:58

Purely in the interests of research - I shall undertake some taste tests and report back later, if I’m still sober!

JackyB Sat 08-Oct-22 20:09:11

buffyfly9

Don't scream in horror but I can recommend the tins of gin and tonic (premixed) from Lidl at 85p a tin. I love Gordon's gin and fevertree as much as the next woman but these are so nice straight from the fridge, a slice of lemon or lime and Bob's your uncle.

---

I love those, too! But they are a little on the sweet side,so maybe not what Fanny is looking for. If it's too sweet definitely go for the classic Indian tonic.

V3ra Sat 08-Oct-22 20:42:24

I'm at my mother-in-law's this weekend.
She has a new bottle of Whitley Neill Blood Orange Gin ?
But no tonic...
So I've mixed it with lemon and lime sparkling water.
Very nice, and doesn't overwhelm the gin ? ?

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Oct-22 16:14:38

Georgesgran

Purely in the interests of research - I shall undertake some taste tests and report back later, if I’m still sober!

Yes please do!
Come back soon. ?

BlueBelle Sun 09-Oct-22 16:34:05

I don’t think I ve ever drank gin not that I remember anyway

Fleurpepper Sun 09-Oct-22 16:42:33

Well I am not fussy. I have to say I am just amazed about all the snobism and oneupmanship about gin these days, and tonics!

notgran Sun 09-Oct-22 18:57:14

Fleurpepper, you aren't fussy. Which explains your amazement.

BigBertha1 Sun 09-Oct-22 22:26:57

Can't bear good old Schweppes and a good price too. I'm a purist plain gin no flavours and diet Schweppes lots of ice no lemon.

dogsmother Sun 09-Oct-22 23:07:36

Nah…..Bacardi and coke please!

FannyCornforth Mon 10-Oct-22 03:20:48

I wonder what has happened to Georgesgran?
BlueBelle I think that you’d remember if you had, it’s quite a distinctive taste and divides opinion.
You should try it! You can join me and JaneJudge in her greenhouse.
BigBertha Schweppes is just too sweet for me.
Dogsmother that’s really sweet!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Oct-22 04:02:09

To be honest fanny apart from an occasional cider I don’t buy alcohol I ll have a wine if I m out on an occasion (rare) but there’s no way I could afford to buy alcohol regularly so I don’t think I ve had anything stronger since I was young and free
I think I m in a different money bracket to most on here ?

silverlining48 Mon 10-Oct-22 07:53:13

Can’t help with tonic as most are ok with me (use fever tree and Aldi) but instead of lemon or lime started to use strips of cucumber ? in the glass. Very refreshing.
Cheers ?