Gransnet forums

Food

A Different kind of recipe

(32 Posts)
Paula8 Sat 21-Jun-14 10:20:48

Hi I am fairly new on GN and it has helped me..

As we all know trying to find something DIFFERENT to cook can sometimes be a challenge so I was hoping that if anyone cooks something out of the norm they could share it.

I personally would be very interested to learn about new foods

Thank you

janerowena Sat 21-Jun-14 10:22:37

Maybe you need to say what you do usually eat, so that we know what is normal for you.

Paula8 Sat 21-Jun-14 10:27:46

The norm, chicken salad, fish salad, pasta, roa etc etcsmile

henetha Sat 21-Jun-14 10:28:09

I picked up a recipe card in Tesco this week and it's for Tomato, Red Onion and Halloumi tart. I'm going to try it. To me it seems quite exotic as I'm a sort of meat and two veg person, and have never tasted Halloumi which I gather is a kind of cheese, so will make a nice change from cheddar, hopefully.
I will let you know how it goes, If I remember to.
Welcome to GN Paula8. I'm glad it has helped you.

Paula8 Sat 21-Jun-14 10:41:43

Thank you H Yes halloumi is a cheese that is widely used in Turkey, it does not have too much flaviour but people generally enjoy it due to its texture when heated--The recipe sound nice and has made me hungrysmile

janerowena Sat 21-Jun-14 10:42:10

What kinds of veg do you roast? I often roast my broccoli, for example, rather than steam it as I used to. You just take a small roasting tray, chop a head of broccoli into smallish pieces, stem and all, drizzle the tray with olive oil, also the broccoli, turn it over until it's all coated, and sprinkle with chopped garlic. Roast for 25 minutes, turning once during that time. It's a different vegetable done that way.

Also I roast masses of veg all at once. I prepare a mixture of potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, quartered onions, sometimes parsnips, maybe some big chunks of peppers, chunks of leek, perhaps courgettes and pumpkin. Again, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic. Serve with the roast, but any leftovers can be added to couscous along with any left over broccoli.

Couscous is so simple, just add one and a half times water to the amount of grains, add a little olive oil, any spices that you like (I use a moroccan mix) a lot of lemon juice, salt, pepper, a handful of sultanas and your roasted leftover veg, chopped much smaller. You can keep it in the fridge all week and use it as a base for meals, adding a selection of things like feta cheese, chopped chicken, sausage chunks, chorizo, olives. You can add dressings to it, mix it into a green salad, add chopped fresh herbs. It's very versatile. I always have a bowl of it in the fridge and a bag in the freezer, so that if someone turns up unexpectedly for lunch it looks as if I have spent hours cooking. Which I most certainly have not. grin

Paula8 Sat 21-Jun-14 10:48:17

That sound so nice and simple to do Jane will defnetly try that, I quite like Couscous but never know what to add to it..Thank yousmile

kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 10:51:10

There are loads of recipes in the recipe section Paula all listed in different categories - worth a look! smile

glammanana Sat 21-Jun-14 10:59:05

Paula8 Quite a few of the Supermarkets now have recipes for you to take away with you Morrisons do a quite good selection and Asda's free booklet is excellent some months, I tend to cook chunky veg (same as janerowena) and my favourite is the veg topped with marinated chicken (any flavour) or nice fillets of fish,which ever is in season and cheapest makes for a delicious change to everyday meal times.

Paula8 Sat 21-Jun-14 11:04:36

mmm*glamm*, you see this is what I mean, I would never really think of getting a dish of veg and place on top marinated chicken and cook. I would cook seperatly, but your suggestion would make for a much more flavioured meal.

I now am writing all these recipe ideas down, because they are all good, thank you smile

anneey Sat 21-Jun-14 13:50:11

Sainsbury's Magazine July issue, page 61.
Mushrooms with marinated Feta.
I adapted the recipe, I had 3 Peppers to use up.
Also I didn't Barbecue, baked in the oven.
A very easy dish I am looking forward to trying with mushrooms next time.

janerowena Sat 21-Jun-14 21:28:07

This is really nice, we are having it tomorrow. With the roasted veg underneath!

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/pork/pork-chops-baked-with-wild-mushrooms-and-creme-fraiche.html

Except I just use ordinary mushrooms and often use greek yoghourt instead of crème fraiche.

Paula8 Sun 22-Jun-14 11:16:03

anney I love mushrooms but can not think outside the box when cooking them, han meranade feta sounds lovely, so glad I asked this question Thank you smile

Paula8 Sun 22-Jun-14 11:18:30

jane funny enough my brother in law-now passed bless him- used to cook this when there was a family gathering at their house.

It really is nice and I love it . thank you for the Delia recipe because brother in law never put mushrooms in it so that would make it taste much better!

Soutra Sun 22-Jun-14 21:35:09

Sorry what is "han meranade feta"??? confused

rosequartz Sun 22-Jun-14 22:09:40

We like roasted red onion, garlic and beetroot with sausage and mash these days (instead of baked beans!).

Use good sausages and nice creamy mashed potatoes. A couple of red onions cut into quarters, peeled garlic cloves and peeled raw beetroot (peel and cut up wearing those vinyl gloves otherwise they stain your hands). Roast in olive oil in the oven, add some thyme if you like, when cooked through make a glaze of about 2 tbs. of chicken stock and balsamic vinegar and reduce on the hob. It is an adaptation of an Anthony Worrall Thompson recipe - he roasts the beetroots then peels them, but I peel them first and it seems to work fine.

We had halloumi cooked on the bbq yesterday - yummy.

Aka Sun 22-Jun-14 22:44:22

Can I come to your house Roses sounds yummy?

rosequartz Mon 23-Jun-14 19:48:12

As long as you peel the beetroot, Aka!

It is very tasty, makes a change from baked beans.

Aka Tue 24-Jun-14 07:42:09

I'm going to try that recipe today rose smile I love roast beetroot

TriciaF Tue 24-Jun-14 13:42:11

We often have chicken, very little meat, so I make different casseroles.
One with coconut milk and peas.
One with orange juice and rosemary.
Always plenty of onions.

rosequartz Tue 24-Jun-14 14:18:14

Here it is, Aka, I just never follow a recipe exactly! As mentioned earlier, I peel the beetroot first and chop it into quarters if it is small. I know some people like to follow a recipe exactly, but I am a bit slap-dash!

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastbeetroot_72797

kittylester Tue 24-Jun-14 14:42:08

I always follow a recipe first time so I know what I am aiming for but then...... grin

One of our favourite meals is just thrown into the oven for an hour or so!

Chicken thighs [with bone and skin]
New potatoes halved
Peppers sliced and de-seeded
Red onions peeled and cut into 6/8 wedges
A head of garlic bashed and papery skin discarded
Cherry tomatoes or halved larger ones

Stick in a roasting tin, add a few glugs of olive oil, salt and pepper.

Mix with your hands. Ensure the chicken is near the top.

Roast at Gas 6.

rosequartz Tue 24-Jun-14 14:46:25

Might try that tonight, kitty, as I have all the ingredients and was wondering what to do with the chicken (they are skinless and filleted - see what I mean about never following a recipe properly). I will add a couple more glugs of olive oil!

kittylester Tue 24-Jun-14 15:11:29

It's the crispy skin that is the best bit though rose sad

sparkygran Tue 24-Jun-14 16:49:46

I have a nice dish that is easy to make with smoked haddock (am making it at the weekend)

You need

2 onions - chopped
5/6 tomatoes - chopped
1 fresh red chilli - de-seed and dice finely
2 red peppers - de-seed and slice
2 garlic cloves
black pepper
Ground nut oil

Cook all above in a pan for approx 20 minutes then add the smoked haddock - the fish cooks in a few minutes on top of the above then its ready to serve.

I just shred the haddock instead of cutting and serve with rice