Gransnet forums

Food

Your favourite meal?

(36 Posts)
papaoscar Thu 12-Jun-14 21:00:40

Smoked salmon & sour cream, followed by beef Wellington, roast potatoes & root vegetables, then Caerphilly cheese and white grapes, next tiramisu, Irish coffee and after eights. Red and white wine. Anybody else?

tiggypiro Thu 12-Jun-14 21:13:40

Mine is much simpler !!!!

Shepards Pie ( crunchy cheese on top) + mashed turnip/swede - (the orange one !), Apple Pie and custard washed down with a pot of tea.

Alternatively Yorkshire Puds and a good beef gravy hits the spot.

papaoscar Thu 12-Jun-14 21:15:17

Yes, yes, bring it on, tp!

Deedaa Thu 12-Jun-14 21:42:29

Can't beat breakfast! Eggs, bacon, beans, tomatoes and perhaps a couple of hash browns - followed by a large pot of tea and toast and marmalade.

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 21:43:03

My absolute favourite, which I would eat every night if I didn't end up getting sick of eating it, is scampi, coleslaw and petit pois (not common peas thank you very much) - delicious.

I also love smoked haddock, mashed potato, green beans and sauce made from the milk that the fish has been cooked in.

If there happens to be an apple and raspberry pie or raspberry trifle hanging around, I'll eat some of that as well!

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 21:43:53

I would also happily settle for what Deedaa is cooking grin

merlotgran Thu 12-Jun-14 22:10:53

I don't have a favourite meal. I like EVERYTHING. grin

durhamjen Thu 12-Jun-14 22:20:10

Baked aubergine with buckwheat noodles and a thick tomato sauce, followed by an apricot and almond tart.

PRINTMISS Fri 13-Jun-14 08:15:42

Like you merlot I would have difficulty choosing, particularly if someone else was cooking! I do quite like smoked haddock with crusty brown bread and butter, and kippers are the sort of thing I suddenly think - "OH! I WOULD LOVE A KIPPER"! but not necessarily a favourite meal.

suebailey1 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:22:42

Smoked salmon with dill and a very light very small amount of dressing

Fillet steak with fresh greens and new pots (NO BUTTER)

Fresh mango with greek yogurt

Lovely bottle of French Chablis in summer South African Pinotage in Winter

perfect!!!

Mishap Fri 13-Jun-14 09:02:21

Poached salmon with crusty bread and salad, followed by raspberries and cream. I have simple tastes!

papaoscar Fri 13-Jun-14 09:09:50

An image of lamb's liver with smoky bacon, onion gravy, fluffy mashed potatoes and garden peas has suddenly appeared in front of me, followed by fruit jelly and icecream, topped off by a nice cool ginger beer shandy...

rubysong Fri 13-Jun-14 09:16:35

Christmas dinner, especially if all the family are present.
(I feel grammatically that should be 'is present' but it somehow feels strange.)
We usually start with smoked salmon, then turkey, pigs in blankets, stuffing, lots of veg, gravy, then Christmas pudding and cream.

Agus Fri 13-Jun-14 09:40:47

In summer. Fresh North Atlantic prawns, Scottish poached salmon fillet or smoked slices plain or gravadlax and lobster. All served cold with a side salad and a good helping of aioli. A chilled bottle of Chablis Premier Cru. Not a pudding fan so a selection of cheese and oatcakes to follow.

newist Fri 13-Jun-14 10:45:02

I am lucky where I live, there's a peat smoke house 2 miles down the road. I buy at local rates Hot smoked salmon, smoked scallops and sea trout etc.
A friend gives me live lobster crabs and langoustines. I pick my own cockles and mussels. In October I buy a whole carcass of venison.
My favorite meal though is a stack of smoked bacon sandwiches, with soft thick sliced white bread and tomato ketchup

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:05:05

Oh this is so difficult, so many meals and so little time!Do you think we get a bit food obsessed as we get older?To compensate hmmn?wink
I like almost everything that has been written so far.You can't beat a great cooked breakfast[ we have one every Sunday, if we have the time.]I love shepherds pie and mashed swede followed by apple pie and custard [ tiggypiros choice.]I also love almost any roast dinner. I also love a really good chicken korma and pilau rice. Drool.

annodomini Fri 13-Jun-14 11:29:13

newist, you do live in foodie paradise!

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:45:31

Yes newist you do yourselves alright!

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:46:12

right now I would settle for a fish finger sarnie with ketchup.

newist Fri 13-Jun-14 11:47:06

Yes its a consolation on bad weather days smile

KatyK Fri 13-Jun-14 14:43:42

Couldn't possibly choose. When I was a kid my mother would fry bacon, add baked beans to the frying pan and serve the lot with mashed potato. It was delicious. I don't eat fried food now but one of these days I'm going to treat myself to that. smile

GillT57 Fri 13-Jun-14 15:08:03

I adore smoked haddock.....one of the best things I ever ate in a pub near York was smoked haddock on a bed of fork mashed new potatoes and spinach with a cheese sauce.......Also had it once served as a starter; served on bed of very thinly sliced beef tomatoes and red onions, cheese on top then grilled, a sort of smoked haddock rarebit, my local pub used to do that.....must remind them

whenim64 Fri 13-Jun-14 15:22:17

I do enjoy roast chicken dinners with apple sauce and stuffing, good home made gravy, followed by apple pie and custard, and there are lots of other meals that come a close second.......but, once or twice a year, a chip butty goes down very well. White bread, lashings of butter and home made chips.

On Sunday, a few of us are driving to Southport for fish and chips by the beach - tastes so much nicer at the seaside.

KatyK Fri 13-Jun-14 16:50:21

Ooo chip butties. Yum

joannapiano Fri 13-Jun-14 17:02:20

Tripe and onions simmered in milk, like my dad used to cook.
Chewy, but delicious.