Gransnet forums

Food

Squeezy bottles

(30 Posts)
newist Tue 20-May-14 11:59:56

How do others get on with Squeezy bottles?.
I have at present a well known brand of mayonnaise in my fridge, the sides are squashed in so it has stopped squeezing, I have to take the top off and shake it up and down which makes big dollops all over on my salad.
I have the same problem with ketchup as well, so I have made the decision I will not buy any more, I shall stick to glass bottles in future. Is it only me that has this problem

besottedgran Tue 20-May-14 12:07:33

Sorry but have never had this problem. I store with nozzle end at bottom.

Elegran Tue 20-May-14 12:08:55

Honey is the same. The last bit is impossible to extract.

You can cut it off at the shoulders and scoop it out - but why should you? They must make a good profit from the amount that is bought and thrown out.

suebailey1 Tue 20-May-14 12:10:20

I hate squeezy bottles of anything - they just feel wrong.

Elegran Tue 20-May-14 12:11:04

Storing with the nozzle at the bottom does not help much. I always do that, and always there is some that just does not come out. I don't think the containers are well designed to let the whole contents slide right down. Depends on the product, i suppose.

Ana Tue 20-May-14 12:17:26

I stopped buying the squeezy bottles of mayo and now just have the small-sized jar. You have to scoop it out with a teaspoon, but at least you can see what's left and what state it's in!

suebailey1 Tue 20-May-14 12:17:42

Oh the very idea of squeezy Marmite Yuk Yuk Yuk

newist Tue 20-May-14 12:23:59

That is another good point Ana you cannot tell how much is left

Tegan Tue 20-May-14 13:12:51

No problem with ketchup but mayonnaise is impossible; really hurts my hands even when it's full..virtually impossible as it starts to empty confused. Nightmare for me as a I hate wasting anything! I bought some jam in a squeezy jar as one of my grandsons loves jam and that has worked quite well because it limits the amount I use if I eat any myself wink. Mind you, the first time I bought some mayonnaise in a squeezy thing it was very difficult because I hadn't realised you had to take the top of and remove the security thingy from the top of the container blushblush...

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-May-14 13:57:33

suebailey1

Oh the very idea of squeezy Marmite Yuk Yuk Yuk

this...

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-May-14 13:58:40

Although golden syrup is my exception to the rule. Just finished the very messy, sticky tin and the squeezy new bottle is so easy in comparison.

Marmight Tue 20-May-14 14:07:31

I don't like them at all. Like Newist I have trouble with upside down mayonnaise 'squirties'. So much is wasted as it just won't come out so I take a knife and scrape out as much as I can - I land up with more on my fingers and on the handle of the knife than on the plate...... I once shook it violently and ended up with mayo all over the door of the fridge and on the floor when the cap flew off

Agus Tue 20-May-14 14:18:28

I don't buy them now either. I hate waste so got annoyed when I was binning squeezy mayo bottles because I CBA cutting them up to get what is still in the bottom.

Am I wrong in thinking glass is more Eco friendly than plastic? If so, why promote the squeezy ones?

newist Tue 20-May-14 14:19:19

And there was me thinking I was the only one. blush

newist Tue 20-May-14 14:21:04

I agree with you Agus at least you can recycle the glass ones

newist Tue 20-May-14 14:23:44

While I am in the moaning mode, I also think some products are watered down so they will come out of the nozzle easier

Nelliemoser Tue 20-May-14 15:13:30

I struggled with a tube of tomato puree t he other day as I could not squeeze the very hard metal tube. Painful thumb joints don't help at all.
There is a awful lot of stuff that gets left in plastic tubes unless like me you cut the bottom off.

There really is nothing like a jar you can get a spoon or a finger in and wipe it out.

Galen Tue 20-May-14 15:23:11

The security seals on milk cartons I find impossible. Also the new style containers for things like Humous which you have to bend a bit back then prise the lid up. I keep a pair of pliers handy for those.

Stansgran Tue 20-May-14 15:29:52

I remember the kitchen designer who was disgusted that I wanted a drawer for things like pliers (two sorts) my personal collection of screwdrivers and spanners and my secret cache of secateurs. Otherwise DH would take them away or lend them out to be lost forever. I do have some long handled sundae spoons which are ideal for getting the dregs out.

Galen Tue 20-May-14 15:32:08

I use the sundae spoons for getting the last of the coffee granules out of the jar as well

Soutra Tue 20-May-14 17:30:27

Glass ketchup bottles remind me of the rhyme of my childhood
"Shake the bottle, shake the bottle
None'll come , then the lot'll" grin

MiniMouse Tue 20-May-14 18:12:32

Same goes for moisturiser that's in a tube. If you CBA to cut the tube down there's at least another week or two's worth in there!

Squirty mayonnaise is impossible to get out, especially if it's been stored in the fridge - and it's not just the last bit either, it's all of it angry

Icyalittle Wed 21-May-14 07:25:50

Elegran you can get at the last of the honey if you give it a few seconds in a microwave or in a bowl of hot water. NOT mayonnaise! (Besides which, I don't like not being able to see the stuff I'm getting out. In case it's gone off).

feetlebaum Wed 21-May-14 08:14:20

I too have reverted to glass bottles...

Nelliemoser Wed 21-May-14 08:20:37

I think the plastic that they are made of is a large part of the problem, the sauce etc "clings" to a plastic surface more than to glass. Something to do with surface tension.