Gransnet forums

Food

Meat Free May

(103 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 20:44:04

Why??? hmm

rosesarered Thu 01-May-14 21:08:41

This won't do butcher's any good will it?

rosesarered Thu 01-May-14 21:09:02

where's my bacon sandwich?

Ana Thu 01-May-14 21:17:35

Yes, why? (Actually, I know nothing at all about it, wot you going on about? confused)

durhamjen Thu 01-May-14 21:28:48

Why not?

janeainsworth Thu 01-May-14 21:32:09

From the Friends of the Earth website:
"Sign-up to take part in Meat Free May now and start your journey towards reducing your environmental impact through what you eat.

Food, fundraising, and fun!

Meat and dairy production is responsible for 14.5% of all global greenhouse gas emissions and overfishing is damaging our marine ecosystems.

It would be better for ourselves and the planet if we ate less meat and fish, and a more plant based diet. To show you that it is more than possible to reduce your consumption, Young Friends of the Earth is challenging you to cut out meat and fish from your diet for an entire month.

We will support you with information and fundraising packs."

If they are concerned about the effects of dairy production, then logically they should be exhorting everyone to adopt a vegan diet.
Good luck with that one!

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 21:37:46

I didn't know anything about it until I read the newsletter. We have lots of no meat days but like roses I don't like the thought of butchers and farmers losing trade.

We had a lovely meal in Carluccio's last week and I was pleased to see rose veal on the menu.

Unless you are already a vegetarian, in which case you are not going to eat meat anyway, I cannot see the point on No Meat May which sounds like something Paul McCartney would dream up.

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 21:40:19

DH says that Young Friends of the Earth are just the children of Old Friends of the Earth grin

durhamjen Thu 01-May-14 21:41:46

Paul McCartney dreamed up meatfree Mondays, which is on all Linda McCartney products. I do not see anything wrong with him dreaming up meatfree May.
www.viva.org.uk to get more information on why you should give up meat every month, not just May.

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 21:45:10

I don't think he did dream it up, durhamjen, I was joking.

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 21:46:52

We've been doing meat free Mondays for years. I cook double the amount of veg I need on Sunday and do things with it on Monday...Simples!

Nonu Thu 01-May-14 21:48:00

Mr N and I will not be giving up meat for anyone.

SIOB !!

Nonu Thu 01-May-14 21:51:04

Blow The friends of the earth, they can do what they like.

We are certainly not going to follow !

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 21:51:38

SIOB ??

Nonu Thu 01-May-14 21:54:10

:-)

grumppa Thu 01-May-14 22:03:07

Friends of the Earth certainly know how to make enemies.

grumppa Thu 01-May-14 22:03:32

Friends of the Earth certainly know how to make enemies.

grumppa Thu 01-May-14 22:05:57

Sorry about the repetition; put it down to too much terrine de campagne followed by terrine de canard.

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 22:07:51

Hopefully all washed down with a bottle of Bull's Blood grin

janeainsworth Thu 01-May-14 22:08:34

I think that what is silly about it is that it is unrealistic to expect people who normally eat meat and fish to devise completely different menus for a whole month.
Reduce your portion size maybe; reduce the number of days you eat meat and fish, maybe.
But targets should be realistic and achievable. Most people will look at this campaign and react in the same way that most of the posters on this thread have done.
I also cannot help wondering if Friends of the Earth, in calculating the effect of meat eating on global emissions, have taken into account the fact that if everyone was vegan, the human population would produce far more flatus than it does at present.
This would surely counteract any benefit, though I don't know to what extent.
hmm

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 22:10:58

I think you're right, janeA

Step away from the lentils!

Ana Thu 01-May-14 22:12:38

grin

nightowl Thu 01-May-14 22:15:59

I don't think it's silly. It's only a suggestion, not an order. Young friends of the earth are simply asking people to consider whether they could reduce the amount of meat and fish they consume. They challenge people to try it for a month, and offer help with ideas for meals. Some people might try it, most won't. Where's the harm? confused

nightowl Thu 01-May-14 22:17:18

Oh and vegetarian wind is nowhere near as stinky as carnivorous wind, believe me grin

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 22:18:09

No harm at all, nightowl smile