Gransnet forums

Food

"Every little helps" - doesn't it?

(26 Posts)
Soutra Tue 15-Apr-14 17:31:25

Popped into Tesco Express for milk yesterday and very nearly bought some of my favourite instant porridge but it was £2.72 which seemed off the top of my head to be a bit more that I usually pay. Today in Waitrose, same product was £2 as a special offer on the usual price of £2.59.
Every little may well help, but I won't be seeking that help chez Tesco!!!tbushock

HildaW Tue 15-Apr-14 18:00:57

Gave up shopping in Tesco years ago, my only connection is my rather old fashioned mobile phone - but as I hardly use it they are not getting much from me now.
Seriously, I have long felt that Tesco have been very 'creative' with its offers over the years. Am happy to stick with Morrisons for basic, local small shops for meat and veggies and a once a month to Sainsbury for a bit of variety.

Ana Tue 15-Apr-14 18:21:13

I'm quite happy with the Tesco Price Promise at the moment - if any item you've bought would have been cheaper in Asda, Morrisons or Sainsbury's they give you a voucher for the difference. There isn't a Waitrose for miles around here!

Ana Tue 15-Apr-14 18:23:31

PS it includes alcohol - Asda were doing a special offer on my favourite wine last week and ran out of stock, so I just bought it from Tesco and got the price difference refunded smile

Soutra Tue 15-Apr-14 22:12:55

As I see it if Tesco's prices are higher than Waitrosr what is their USP? No wonder their shares have plummeted!

Ana Tue 15-Apr-14 22:17:05

Well, as I said, there's no Waitrose in my area, so the Price Promise is fine by me. I still prefer Asda, though - usually cheaper and the staff are certainly better trained in customer service skills!

Tegan Tue 15-Apr-14 23:13:13

Well, I park at Tescos when I go to the gym so I feel obliged to shop there. You get discount off their petrol [and I have to use their garage since the village garage closed down]. Today I bought two tubs of Olivio, a large jar of mayonnaise and a dozen bread rolls and it came to less than £5; I was quite pleased with that. Asda is further away from the gym and they have a strange garage [no building or staff]. If I had a choice I'd shop at Morrisons [we go to the one at Berwick when we're oop north]. Mind you, I went into a cheap shop today; B Wise or something and couldn't believe some of the cheap food they had. Meant to compare the prices at Tescos but forgot. Tins of corned beef for @ £1.90 [it's what we use to stop the dog running off when she's on the beach; if she knows we've got corned beef she stays close by wink].

glassortwo Tue 15-Apr-14 23:15:11

I have found the cost of grocery's have gone through the ceiling so last week I went through My Supermarket to see if I was getting the best price from Tesco (I shop online and have it delivered), I was sure that one of the other supermarkets would come in cheaper ... no Tesco was £5.41 cheaper across the board so that put an end to me chuntering on about Tesco's prices going through the ceiling.

Here is the link if anyone would like to check the prices before they do an online order, you just choose your shopping and you are given all the prices then asked where you would like to have your shopping list sent to for delivery.
My Supermarket

NanKate Wed 16-Apr-14 07:47:21

This is slightly off the mark of the topic but here I go.

It irritates me that Tesco use the words 'every little helps' when it is grammatically incorrect. Because it is now in common usage, it has somehow become accepted. Rant over.

I shop in Waitrose when I want a free copy of the Guardian plus a free coffee and at Sainsbury's when I want cheaper veg. Oh and at M and S when I want the £10 meal. We are fortunate to have all three in our small town, having said that it is sad we have lost most of our independent stores.

J52 Wed 16-Apr-14 07:55:11

I have noticed that sometimes the packaged multi buys work out more expensive than buying the product singularly! Don't know how they work it out? X

Aka Wed 16-Apr-14 08:00:28

Seen in Sainsbury's recently writ large under the smaller sign saying £3 each.

3 for £10

I was tempted to take three to the checkout and see what would happen when I demanded a £1 refund tbuhmm

shysal Wed 16-Apr-14 08:28:37

I believe that prices are often higher at the express supermarket shops, which doesn't seem fair.

glammanana Wed 16-Apr-14 08:30:15

After my moan last week about not being able to get just a 2kg of Pork cut in Morrisons and 3 bottles of different spirits I did my shopping at Aldi and I have been able to save £11.30 on my weekly bill so I will be staying with them for the time being and just topping up locally for bread and milk as I find the local shops have better sell by dates than the supermarkets.

DebnCreme Wed 16-Apr-14 08:55:39

Can't shop at Tesco at the moment. Unfortunately a member of their staff has taken against my daughter and also it appears, because I am her mother, me. It is a personal matter but she has taken it into the store. It is just a bit scary. tbusad

sunseeker Wed 16-Apr-14 09:06:35

I stopped shopping in Tesco when I found rotting fruit on the shelves! I use Sainsburys for my main shop and Waitrose for things Sainsbury no longer stock. I also shop in Iceland when they have a special offer on my favourite ice cream

NanKate Wed 16-Apr-14 09:14:39

You did make me laugh grin Aka.

There was a somewhat complicated offer on some Rimmel makeup in Superdrug last week.

I said to the assistant 'Have I got this right, I can have this mascara full price, and this shadow stick half price, plus this free nail varnish ?'.

His reply was 'Yes you are the only person to have got the right combination'.

I wish he hadn't looked so surprised that someone of 67 can work out what the tiny print meant under the items.

nightowl Wed 16-Apr-14 09:14:40

DebnCreme that is shocking!

I have ranted before on here about Tesco but forgive me if I feel a need to do it again. I hate them with a passion. I hate their aggressive business practices, buying up land and letting it stay idle and an eyesore for years until they decide to put in a planning application, bribing local councils for planning permission and continuing to put pressure on until they cave in, using their muscle to squeeze others out of the market. Maybe I'm just unlucky where I live. There are about four of the horrible monstrosities within a three mile radius and they have built a huge eyesore of a supermarket in my small town. It has to be the ugliest version of a Tesco supermarket ever built, and how the local council allowed them to get away with it I cannot imagine, oh no, silly me they paid for a few trees to be planted and a bit of paving. There was already a well established Asda just across the road and an Aldi next door so we needed Tesco like a hole in the head. Meanwhile the local town centre has died even further. I have never set foot in this horrible Tesco and never will, however much my family might laugh at me!

Rant over.

annsixty Wed 16-Apr-14 09:16:26

DebnCreme what an odd situation and very awkward for you.Have you had a word with management?

MiniMouse Wed 16-Apr-14 09:59:13

This is slightly off piste, but doesn't warrant a new thread . . .

I've just had a letter from Domestic & General trying to get me to insure my cooker. Now maths was never my strong point, but even I can manage to work this one out!

Their kind offer is: 12 calendar monthly payments of £4.95 or

1 annual payment of £69.48

????? tbuconfused

Tegan Wed 16-Apr-14 09:59:40

nightowl; you're making me feel soo guilty now, cause I, too hate Tescos for the same reasons; they closed down a beautiful row of terraced houses in Birmingham years ago [along with a well used social club] but still haven't built on the site. But along with their evil deeds they are also terribly clever. I used to shop at Sainsburys but one winter it was very icy and I was scared of slipping in the car park so I went to Tescos [covered car park] and continued to do so. At least other supermarkets are copying [I think] their idea of opening small local shops. And you get very good deals with their clubcard [although I don't use it myself].

glassortwo Wed 16-Apr-14 10:58:47

mini thats an offer not to be missed tbugrin

MiniMouse Wed 16-Apr-14 11:34:41

glass think I just might give it a miss! I'm tempted to contact them, but I'm too scared that they still won't get it & then I'll get into stressed teachy mode trying to explain - life's too short . . . . . tbuwink

nightowl Wed 16-Apr-14 11:35:48

Don't feel guilty Tegan I'm sure all supermarkets are as bad, it's just that Tesco seem to have had a bit more practice!

GillT57 Wed 16-Apr-14 13:48:43

I wont shop in Tesco until Dame Shirley Porter comes back and faces the music. Arrogant bloody woman. Hate Tesco and their business model with a vengeance, all those deserted building sites. Also, I have often found their shops to be on the grubby side. But my main, perhaps irrational cause for my loathing of Tesco is when the gobshite cashier in the Tesco convenience store near my parents was exceedingly rude to my Father who despite being in the early stages of dementia at the time, knew that he had been short changed. I didn't find out for some time, or I would have ripped the assistant's head off angry. So, lucky for me that I have a Sainsburys and a Waitrose, but more importantly a lovely village coop, a farm shop for veg and I bake my own bread.

rosesarered Wed 16-Apr-14 13:51:25

More like 'every little helps' Tesco themselves.They issue mounds of coupons which I either forget to take with me or are out of date [announced gleefully by the usually not very pleasant staff.]I don't want to buy 3 of everything [or even 2] so that doesn't help me at all, and as others have said the price at the Tesco Express stores are higher.
We don't have Morrisons here or Asda or several others, only Tesco, Sainsburys or Waitrose, so I tend to use the last two more and more.