Gransnet forums

Food

Black Tomatoes

(46 Posts)
Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 10:31:46

I read in my paper that apparently black tomatoes are set to become a common sight in gardens and supermarkets across the land . "Indigo Rose", a new jet black variety has been introduced here for the first time.
Supposed to have more health benefits than their red cousins.

I am afraid I don"t find this appealing at all . I may be boring , BUT I like my vegetables just the colours they are and always have been ! Not for me I am afraid !!

However, having said all that I might just be prepared to give them a whirl to see what they taste like !

smile

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 11:00:46

I know what you mean, but apparently the first carrots were purple!

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 11:13:09

What??? Purple carrots? shock

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 11:21:30

Yep! www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/carrots-used-to-be-purple-before-the-17th-century/

Galen Tue 25-Mar-14 11:22:52

She's correct. Wild carrots are purple. The Sicilian tomatoes I buy are very dark. They're a bit sharper than the normal red ones. I love them

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 11:27:30

Or for the true carrot devotee, there is always the Carrot Museum.

Worried about the kids getting bored in the holidays?
Feel there may be gaps in your knowledge that might make you appear ill informed?
Do you worry about topics of conversation around the water cooler, the dinner table or at the school gates?

Fear not! The answer is here!http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

never worry again that people might thinking you boring or ignorant! Visit the Carrot Museum today, you know you want to!

mrshat Tue 25-Mar-14 11:47:02

I had back tomatoes when in Australia earlier in the year. I was amazed (never having heard of them before) but found them quite tasty and they added a bit more to the usual tomato and pepper salad! Worth a try. grin

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 11:49:51

Very interesting, phoenix. I must admit I'd been imagining a rather more...vibrant 'purple' grin

Charleygirl Tue 25-Mar-14 11:59:22

I may be alone but I feel today's tomatoes are fairly tasteless.

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:01:41

Ana they are carrots, they do not come with a Farrow & Ball colour chart! grin

And if they did they would have very odd names, Varicose Vein, Wheelie Bin Bruise and Hidden Haemorrhoid, for example.

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 12:28:49

I think the tomatoes are more savoury than sweet. Must look out for them.

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 13:03:35

Carrot museum , here I come !!
grin

merlotgran Tue 25-Mar-14 13:19:56

I grew Black Russian tomatoes last year. They were a kind of mottled purply/brown but I didn't really like the texture which was a bit velvety.

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 13:28:49

Merlot , you are a front runner Again !
smile

janerowena Tue 25-Mar-14 13:36:24

Hah! I grew them longer ago than that! Several years. I think we didn't have good enough summers to bring out their true flavours. I grew some in the greenhouse, some outdoors, and the ones that ripened last were really good, the ones that ripened first weren't particularly nice at all. I almost pulled them all up. But we went away on holiday and when we returned I tried some of the later ones, and they were lovely. So forcing them and bringing them on early doesn't do any good, unlike say cherry tomatoes, which being far smaller ripen more quickly. Black Russians get to quite a size. The later ones grown naturally outside also didn't have the grainy 'velvety' texture that merlotgran mentions. I grew them for two or three years before I was able to persuade DBH off them, he loved them for their colours, which varied hugely from black all over to a streaky brown/green/blacky-purple.

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 13:52:10

Jane
grin

janerowena Tue 25-Mar-14 13:57:09

It's a pity this isn't a photo thread, I have photos somewhere amongst the thousands. I remember taking a photo of a bowl of the varying sizes, shapes and colours that I obtained from one plant alone.

janerowena Tue 25-Mar-14 14:00:36

I don't know if this will work, please bear in mind (if it does) that I used flash so the colours are paler

i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm181/janeharrison/miscellaneous/P1010002-1.jpg

Elegran Tue 25-Mar-14 14:17:24

I was away for a while when my tomatoes were growing well and had fruit. I thought I had left enough water in the reservoirs for them, but on my return they had dried out. The Gardeners Delight were OK, but as they grew further the Black Russian developed blossom end rot. I think it was beacuse they had such big fruits and needed more water than the little cherry ones.

nannyfran Tue 25-Mar-14 14:27:01

My DH grew Black Russian last year and I wasn't at all keen, not much flavour and quite tough skins. Bearing in mind what you said janerowena perhaps we should have left them longer. All the other varieties were good.
I cant say I fancy the new black ones but will reserve judgement.

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 14:36:08

JANE just looked at your photos , presume the ones of all the pretty flowers are yours also .
Fabulous !!

POGS Tue 25-Mar-14 15:27:02

I like the look and sound of them.

I can just see a dish of salad with black tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, orange, green and red peppers, purple broccoli, green lettuce and celery, beetroot and balsamic vinegar. Nice to look at and even better to eat, yum.

Have many of you used pansies and nasturtiums as a compliment to a salad?? I always think they look lovely but I have never tried it for myself.

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 15:35:09

I know I'm being fussy, but I really wanted to see a black tomato!

Galen Tue 25-Mar-14 15:37:57

Jane those look like the Sicilian ones I get from ocado. I love them. Might save some of the seeds and try and grow them

Galen Tue 25-Mar-14 15:40:46

Just looked. They're winter camone tomatoes from Sardinia. ( well I was almost right with sicilyhmm)