Gransnet forums

Food

food made in China

(26 Posts)
rosesarered Mon 03-Mar-14 12:38:51

Whilst I don't mind buying some items that are made in China [difficult not to!]I am looking very carefully both at toiletries [having had a rash from Johnsons baby powder for the first time ever] and especially food items. I will not buy anything to eat that is made there.Looked at labels in Sainsbury's the other day as I was buying Easter choc things for DGC. A large Easter bunny [made in Switzerland, good] A Thorntons bunny [made in UK, good] and then picked up some nets of choc chickens, animals etc, Sainsburys own , but label said made in China.Did not buy those.I did manage to find some small choc things not made in China, but you need to look closely.

gangy5 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:24:37

Can't believe that we've reached the point of importing food items from China.
Sainsbury's should be ashamed of themselves!!
I have a feeling that most on here are very label savvy. Did any of you see the Fish Fight programme on Channel 4 yesterday evening?? Tesco's up to there old tricks again with labelling and non ethically caught tuna.

rosesarered Mon 03-Mar-14 17:38:58

Didn't see that programme gangy5 but it doesn't surprise me about supermarkets and old tricks.

rosequartz Mon 03-Mar-14 17:39:07

I had no idea that anything other than noodles or some chinese sauces were made jn China! I know Cadbury's chocolate is made in Poland, putting Bristol people out of work, since that dreadful American woman took over Kraft had a change of chief executive

rosesarered Mon 03-Mar-14 17:47:08

Yup! You need to check labels all the time now. I will only buy meat from here in the UK for example , when buying chicken in Tesco, most of it was from South America.I did find some fresh chicken pieces from UK but not frozen.I have the time [nowadays] luckily to check labels but most people do not.With China's poor record [think of what they did to their own baby milk formulae] I would not eat a single thing made there.

rosequartz Mon 03-Mar-14 17:59:09

Can we be so sure if we buy an occasional ready meal? blush

tiggypiro Mon 03-Mar-14 18:22:11

I certainly would not buy Chinese chocolate - for no other reason in that it is bl***y awful ! DD always has chocolate on her list for me to take for her in Beijing.
LIke many others I do try to buy British as much as I can.

absent Tue 04-Mar-14 05:50:09

Does the UK still allow food be labelled British even if it is imported provided that it is packed in Britain?

Anne58 Tue 04-Mar-14 09:26:14

I'm pretty sure that all of Lidl's fresh (and some of the frozen) meat is UK sourced, and a lot of it has the Red Tractor symbol

rosequartz Tue 04-Mar-14 15:55:51

They should label it, M&S do I think.

Would like to know how old some of the frozen stuff is in some supermarkets (I mean before it gets sent to the shops)

rosesarered Tue 04-Mar-14 17:45:47

absent since I became an avid label reader, I have discovered that it states where packed and then where produced or made. Sometimes the print is very small, but it has to be there.I just wonder how many stores now will have their things made in China [I know it's made there 'under Licence' but even so.]Here is a small cake made by me and also packed by me cupcake

GillT57 Wed 05-Mar-14 14:51:51

I always check labels, and put anything back that is made in China. The thought of chicken coming from Thailand or Brazil makes me feel sick, heavens only knows what junk they are fed on , and the animal welfare rules just dont apply. I also dont buy Dutch or Danish bacon because they didn't ban farrowing pens as we did in Britain. I dont buy Irish beef ( actually dont buy any beef anymore) because I just dont trust the source, sorry. I dont buy Cadburys because of the reasons that Rosequartz stated.

thatbags Wed 05-Mar-14 15:26:56

You can feed chickens pretty much anything. They are omnivores. They don't think anything edible is junk except, perhaps, layers' pellets (i.e. "proper" <cough, cough> chicken food made of fishmeal and soy – stuff they wouldn’t naturally eat). Ours turned their noses up at it but they would eat anything else from grass and grubs in the grass, to mice and any leftovers from the house.

GillT57 Wed 05-Mar-14 17:20:47

Quite happy to eat chicken that has grubbed around and eaten what it fancies, just dont fancy chicken that has been fed industrial grain with growth agents!

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 17:34:33

Chickens seem to go mad for pumpkin, SIL said it's like chocolate for them!
DD1 and SIL's chickens produce lovely tasty eggs and they eat all the scraps plus grub around the farm each day.

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 17:36:32

Well, not ALL I hasten to add, the vegetable peelings and other veg surplus to requirements, not meat or fish.

rosesarered Thu 06-Mar-14 16:49:42

chickens also like apples, DH used to have a relative with a small holding and the chickens roamed around the apple trees and ate the fallers.

thatbags Thu 06-Mar-14 16:59:58

Ours liked grated cheese and bacon fat (cooked or raw), or the chopped fat off chops and, as I intimated above, they happily ate raw mouse meat whenever they could catch any.

yogagran Thu 06-Mar-14 22:29:07

At least the mouse meat is British wink

yogagran Thu 06-Mar-14 22:31:35

I very often do my food shopping online - mainly with Tesco - and I get frustrated that there is no way of checking where the food is produced. I have emailed Tesco in the past and asked if they could add the origin of items to their website but they still don't do it

Aka Thu 06-Mar-14 23:05:01

Getting back to China / Asian posts, my chickens love rice, noodles, nam bread and left over curries.

durhamjen Thu 06-Mar-14 23:18:27

Nestle's the same about production in different countries. Three different size Smarties made in three different countries. One size is not suitable for people with nut allergies. They even make York Fruits in Poland, I think.

durhamjen Thu 06-Mar-14 23:20:36

Look at the Trading Standards website to find out about food labelling. They are responsible for policing them if you find a problem.

rosesarered Fri 07-Mar-14 18:04:17

AKA no need to spice your chicken dishes then [when you cook them!] they come naturally spicy.

Aka Fri 07-Mar-14 22:36:15

Rosesare wash your mouth out! I'd never eat Delphine, Cous Cous, Coco, Violette, Sheila or Shanghai Lil, they are purely egg layers shock