Gransnet forums

Food

They. Are. Not. Pancakes

(79 Posts)
Soutra Sun 02-Mar-14 20:09:24

Full page ad by Asda in today's Sunday Telegraph Stella magazine for "Scotch Pancakes" - all 9 flavours apparently.
May I make this clear
1) there is nothing "Scotch" about them under this designation
2) They. are. not. pancakes
They are drop scones - also known as girdle scones.
Not pancakes.
Got it?
As such they may well be Scottish, but I imagine other areas such as Yorkshire or Wales can lay claim to a similar baked good.

Rant over (just so long as you remember) smile

whenim64 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:21:56

They're drop scones to me, but I keep seeing packets of them, called Pancakes! Puzzles me why they sell them when it takes as long to toast the things as it does to make them fresh.

yogagran Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:35

They're bannocks to me

yogagran Sun 02-Mar-14 20:28:34

Anyway Tuesday is pancake day (or Shrove Tuesday) , nothing else will do except proper thin pancakes about the diameter of a plate. Lemon and sugar with mine please

merlotgran Sun 02-Mar-14 20:36:11

I'm getting hungry now.

Soutra Sun 02-Mar-14 20:39:13

I would agree with you all except yogagran - a bannock (as in Selkirk Bannock) is a sort of fruited teabread eaten with lashings of a smidgen of butter. But I am glad we are seeing eye to eye on pancakes!!

newist Sun 02-Mar-14 21:07:52

I agree with when they are drop scones, its quicker to make them than toast them

Ana Sun 02-Mar-14 21:09:50

I thought Scotch was a drink, anyway.

thatbags Sun 02-Mar-14 21:19:35

They've always been Scottish (not Scotch) pancakes to me and always will be. The griddle scones I make contain no egg. Pancakes contain egg.

Ana Sun 02-Mar-14 21:19:37

Although we have scotch eggs as well. I'll have to google it.

thatbags Sun 02-Mar-14 21:32:13

My Scottish recipe book published in 1900 calls them pancake scones.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 21:43:35

Drop scones and done on a griddle (if you have one) not baked. However they are sold as Scotch pancakes in Tesco as well. My Scottish friend likes them fried with bacon and egg.
Pancakes are, as yogagran says, the size of a dinner plate, best served with sugar and lemon, although for some strange reason OH likes marmalade with his.

Deedaa Sun 02-Mar-14 21:46:11

They were always called scotch pancakes in my family. My mother was always very dismissive of people who called them drop scones - but then she was dismissive of a lot of things!

annodomini Sun 02-Mar-14 22:07:50

Girdle (or griddle) scones are much the same as oven-baked scones or soda scones but baked on top of the cooker on a girdle (griddle). Scottish pancakes are not too different from the crepe-type of pancake but made with a thicker batter containing a raising agent, usually bicarb. We would never have called our pancakes 'drop scones'. My Scottish granny was a dab hand with scones and came from a family of bakers.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 22:20:46

Have you seen the flipping good pancake recipe complete with picture on GNet?

They. Are. Not. Pancakes.

They look like an import from across the Pond.

baubles Sun 02-Mar-14 22:27:41

Yes. They. Are.

At least they are in Scotland. In Greggs the bakers they are pancakes, the bigger ones are called crumpets just to confuse things even more.

annodomini Sun 02-Mar-14 22:45:07

Scottish crumpets, lovely rolled up with butter and home-made raspberry jam.

annodomini Sun 02-Mar-14 22:47:29

My DS1 makes American-style pancakes for breakfast treats on special occasions like Christmas and Mothers' day. Bigger than Scottish pancakes and thicker than crepes.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 22:49:02

grin
Where I come from:
Crumpets have holes in and are quite thick
Scones are small and thick (no comments please) and baked in the oven, served with jam and clotted cream
Welsh cakes are not really cakes, they done on a griddle and more like a sort of flat scone in texture with currants
Pancakes are the size of a dinner plate, slightly thicker than a French crepe, and rolled up.
DD1 calls the little ones made on a griddle drop scones, I sometimes call them scotch pancakes as that is what they seem to be in the shops, but whatever they are I could eat one now

I guess you could say lost in translation
And whatever you call them, enjoy on Tuesday. Or any time in fact.

durhamjen Sun 02-Mar-14 22:53:18

Welsh cakes called singing hinnies round here.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 22:58:40

I can hear them in my kitchen warbling away 'eat me, eat me'

Must go, am getting silly, must be a full moon

janerowena Sun 02-Mar-14 23:02:50

I know and love them all. I make singin' hinnies, welsh cakes, drop scones, girdle scones, English pancakes, crepes, American pancakes, muffins, scones and crumpets. They are my very favourite form of baking and my griddle is constantly on the go. As is my waistline.

Granny23 Sun 02-Mar-14 23:05:45

Anno Scottish crumpet, buttered and rolled up with a small Banana inside. Yummy!

newist Sun 02-Mar-14 23:11:18

My NaNa cooked her drop scones on a "singin hinnie" on top of her stove

annodomini Sun 02-Mar-14 23:34:40

Granny23: how about a banana and home-made raspberry jam?