Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Does anyone use weights, like dumbbells or those kettlebells

(27 Posts)
bikergran Tue 28-Dec-21 19:16:01

Been looking at exercises weight exercisers for over 60s.

Seems there are plenty of over 60s use weights for strengthening etc.

I'm not talking about the big dumbbells just smaller weights.

tanith Tue 28-Dec-21 19:35:23

I do, when I remember, just to keep my upper arms and shoulders a bit toned.

Grannycool52 Tue 28-Dec-21 19:53:44

Yes, I use small weights and exercise to music in the house for maybe 20 minutes at a time.
I use slightly weightier ones at the gym but only do a certain number of repetitions.
It's just to keep a little less flabby!

paddyann54 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:27:59

I use 5k weights while on my vibration plate machine ,,it increases the effect .I use them while doing a range of exercises ,squats etc at variable speeds on the machine .

JillyJosie2 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:48:00

Yes, I use small weights - 3 and 5kg - at home to add effort to squats, balance and other cardio exercises. There are quite a few videos on YouTube which tell you how to use weights during exercise.

Wall Tue 28-Dec-21 20:51:57

I think about useing them...its the thought that counts grin

CanadianGran Tue 28-Dec-21 20:55:19

I have 2lb and 5 lb set of dumbells., and a set of ankle weights.

When I did go to an exercise class I found their light ones started at 7 lb, and I found it too difficult to do all the reps.

There are lots of on-line classes, including on youtube.

Shirleyw Tue 28-Dec-21 21:02:37

I have a pair of small weights in the kitchen so use them whilst waiting for kettle to boil or things like that. I also have ankle and wrist weights, not mega heavy but enough to feel them after doing reps or I sometimes wear them doing the housework.

bikergran Wed 29-Dec-21 07:26:29

Sounds good, Canadiangran yes I have been looking at some videos, I could do with building/toning up my muscles.

I used to work on supermarket checkout and got used to lifting weighty bottles, boxes etc from right to left, but since being moved to a different section that just involves walking around, I have noticed my arms not as toned.

Will have a look around see what I can use.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Dec-21 08:19:06

Yes, I’ve a set of small weights and some wrist ones. I use them these days with the Fabulous Fifties workouts on YouTube or just while doing a bit of exercise in front of the TV.

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Dec-21 11:08:27

Yes I use them. Very good for toning and tightening especially for the arms.

Flaxseed Wed 29-Dec-21 18:51:38

I actually prefer weights and kettlebell exercises to anything else. The guy who did my induction at my gym listened to me (bad shoulder, arthritic knees and an aversion to exercise!) and tailored everything to my needs. A good gym will do this. I also follow some older ladies on Instagram.

AreWeThereYet Wed 29-Dec-21 18:56:18

I have a kettlebell and small weights. Prefer the kettlebell but exercising with it in the house is a bit restricted. Better in a larger space where you can raise it over your head without smashing your lights ?

bikergran Wed 29-Dec-21 19:21:39

Oh gosh! AreWeThere lol didn't know they had to be chucked above the head. My ceilings are quite low lol.

I may make some from bottles with sand or little stones first, then if I make a habit of it, then will buy some real ones, there seems to be plenty about at the moment. Lots of fitness stuff.

AreWeThereYet Wed 29-Dec-21 19:25:43

Bikergran they don't have to be chucked over the head ?there are loads of exercises for them, same as weights. I just wasn't thinking too clearly when I first started using it at home. I did check the clearance to the ceiling. Just forgot about the lights.

bikergran Wed 29-Dec-21 19:55:17

AreWeThere no lol I know lol, anyway I have just ordered( I was only browsing) but! too good of a bargain to miss.
So have just ordered a set of weights from Argos, they are on a stand, should have been £25 down to £12.50 collect them next Monday. Mrs Universe here I come.!

My dd used to have a set many yrs ago from argos and they were all pretty colours on a stand, these are just plain grey but do the job just the same.

bikergran Wed 29-Dec-21 19:57:02

I also bought some resistance bands a few months ago, there lurking in a drawer somewhere. Now that the festivities are almost done with , I shall search them out.

jeanie99 Fri 07-Jan-22 00:38:46

I did weight training for years mainly for the prevention of Osteoporosis but I have Osteopenia which is a lesser disease and I have never had a fracture.
Daughter said I would probably be worse if I hadn't done weight training.
Weights make a difference to your strength but will not tighten your loose skin after a certain age on your arms or legs.

MeFgman Thu 16-Feb-23 09:38:00

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

henetha Thu 16-Feb-23 09:44:42

I use tins of baked beans on the odd occasion that I exercise my arms.

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Feb-23 11:08:51

Flaxseed

I actually prefer weights and kettlebell exercises to anything else. The guy who did my induction at my gym listened to me (bad shoulder, arthritic knees and an aversion to exercise!) and tailored everything to my needs. A good gym will do this. I also follow some older ladies on Instagram.

This sounds like me! Great idea.
I have avoided my gym and just used the pool for 3 years!

tickingbird Thu 16-Feb-23 11:59:14

Yes I use weights at the gym

Quokka Thu 16-Feb-23 13:26:33

Yes. I use a pair of 1kg weights as part of my home exercise routine. I also use resistance bands.

MissChateline Thu 16-Feb-23 13:32:50

I’ve done kettlebell trading for years. Best thing ever. I have a couple of training videos and a weekly class with a personal trainer. She has us swinging 16kg and lifting at least 25 kg. I am 68 and have never had as much as a twinge anywhere. I totally swear by keeping up with using muscles as much as possible.

M0neypenny Thu 16-Feb-23 14:23:58

I have been using weights for a few years now and definitely feel the benefit. If you have never used them before it might seem quite difficult at first but it is worth persevering.