Gransnet forums

Classics

Are you woke?

(133 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 27-Jan-20 17:06:00

Disclaimer: I have nothing against veganism. Each to their own.

I bought this (pictured) in Morrison's a couple of days ago. It's vegan mould and mildew remover! I looked at other products that tackle this job. All have similar ingredients, none of which are derived from animals. I bought this one because it was only £1. The others were much dearer for less product! I'm glad to report that it did an excellent job but really??? Vegan!

M0nica Sat 01-Feb-20 11:34:58

Iam64 It is a question I have asked a number of times, because, while there are those who are lactose intolerant and have some problems with fish and eggs, the majority of food allergies are fruit, veg, nut, soya and grain based.

If veganism is the way forward then its supporters must address the issue of those with extensive allergies to these non-meat foods and how they can possible have an interesting and fully nutritious diet, when so much of the key protein, and mineral and vitamin providing foods, must be excluded from their diet.

For my family and many others with members with food allergies, animal foods are essential for good balanced nutritian.

As I said, I have asked this question before, but every time they see it, all the vegans on GN head for the hills.

GillT57 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:50:48

I am curious as to why non-vegans expect vegans to justify what they do/don't eat.

Doodledog Sun 02-Feb-20 14:36:55

Why must vegans address the concerns of non-vegans with allergies, though? I'm not being confrontational - I'm not even vegan! - but unless you are talking about evangelical vegans (aka pains in the proverbial) then they won't be interested in what other people eat.

As GillT57 points out, it is vegans who have to put up with constant questioning of their choices, and are expected to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of ecosystems, dietary food groups and carbon footprints. If they get a question wrong, they are assumed to be hypocrites.

I find that all very strange, as people following other diets aren't put through this. Not all vegans are of the rather tired and cliched 'they tell you' stereotype. They have just chosen a lifestyle that is a little outside of the norm.

M0nica Sun 02-Feb-20 16:53:37

I am not asking vegans as a group to justify what they eat. But quite a number of vegans on GN see veganism as a moral issue and castigate those who do not agree with them.

In those circumstances it seems quite reasonable to expect proslytising vegans to have considered all the problems that adapting a vegan diet could cause those with allergy and other problems and also other issues that will arise from adopting a vegan lifestyle.

My God daughter is vegan. It is a personal decision that we all respect. Were she to be constantly trying to get everyone round her to become vegans and criticising those who are not, then it would be a very different matter and she should then expect to be asked about the problems that choosing to be vegan would cause some people - and be able to answer them.

Other people following other diets are similarly questioned by vegans and there are quite a number of us who have addressed these issues. Dare I say 'sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander'?

Callistemon Sun 02-Feb-20 17:04:33

lizzypopbottle grin

I am woke but may not be come 9 o'clock when I might nod off for a couple of minutes. That means I will be woke and worrying about such things until 2 am.

Callistemon Sun 02-Feb-20 17:07:53

Ps I should go and practise some mindfulness too, stroking the bark of my tree, but it's too wet and windy out there.

Ps could it be to do with the packaging rather than the contents?

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 06:35:33

I'm awake, if that helps?!