Gransnet forums

Christmas

WORST Christmas Presents Ever

(50 Posts)
RedN0se Sun 31-Dec-23 11:38:30

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgL3RMaCPqI

Found these pretty hilarious. What is your worst Christmas gift you've ever received?

fancythat Sun 31-Dec-23 16:56:53

A nightdress from my mother.
Appreciated the thought, but just seemed all wrong.

Harris27 Sun 31-Dec-23 17:00:18

My mam bought me an old fashioned telephone I did like it it was decorative! /but it used to ring in the middle of the night think it was haunted! 😂

glammagran Sun 31-Dec-23 17:16:11

DH bought me a butter dish the first Christmas we were together in 1979. 🥴

Marriedalongtime Sun 31-Dec-23 17:19:14

My sister in law once gave me a roll of tin foil and cling film as she apparently liked to ‘buy something practical’……

Marydoll Sun 31-Dec-23 17:35:31

Mine was two hair clasps in the staffroom Christmas secret Santa. The suggested amount was £5. I saw them in a discount store at 50p.
I knew immediately whom they were from. This mean staff member used to ask people to share the cost of a 1/4 pint of milk, despite the fact that she very wealthy.

Gwyllt Sun 31-Dec-23 17:40:15

A pale blue towelling dressing gown from my husband which I put away
Next year I was presented with another identical one

Mollygo Sun 31-Dec-23 18:39:28

A beautiful bouquet as a thank you gift, just before we went on holiday. It was easy to be delighted in front of the giver, but I was desperate for my DH not to mention we were going away, and thankfully, he didn’t. I offered them to my next door neighbour, who was keeping an eye on our house while we were away.

Georgesgran Sun 31-Dec-23 18:50:45

Not me, but a former friend’s husband bought her a slimming belt!!

A friend of DH’s bought his girlfriend a fabulous pair of diamond earrings one year. I oooed and arrred over them, until she showed me an identical pair he’d bought the previous year and from the same jeweller!

kittylester Sun 31-Dec-23 19:25:08

An iron from DH. We have 5 children so at one stage I was doing an awful lot of ironing but still.........I tell him it was the best domestic appliance anyone has ever bought me!

Oreo Sun 31-Dec-23 19:31:30

Gwyllt

A pale blue towelling dressing gown from my husband which I put away
Next year I was presented with another identical one

😂

Oreo Sun 31-Dec-23 19:33:12

A scarf I gave to a relative the Christmas before😤

Bella23 Sun 31-Dec-23 19:35:09

Puce cami knickers and a litre bottle of "Charlie ", perfume from my late MIL In the hope, there might be a grandchild the next year. I was so embarrassed I did not know how to thank her.

esther0204 Sun 31-Dec-23 19:44:56

A car battery charger with jump leads (from my OH)
ps, I did have a carsmile

FannyFanackerpan Sun 31-Dec-23 19:48:23

A purple, green and orange badly hand knitted scarf. Horrific.

Oreo Sun 31-Dec-23 20:24:52

FannyFanackerpan

That may have been the scarf I knitted and gave to a relative the year before ( and got back the following Christmas )😂

Katek Sun 31-Dec-23 20:31:36

Some years ago I was involved in a planning dispute over a new landfill site and my brother gave me a gift wrapped roll of black bin bags for Christmas.

TwinLolly Sun 31-Dec-23 20:35:51

A pocket hand warmer from a boyfriend.confused

Marmight Sun 31-Dec-23 20:56:55

A plaster of Paris ornament of a cat (think fairground win) from DDs mother in law in Oz. I regifted it the next day to the daughter of our landlady who loved it! My DD received a gold satin evening bag which MiL had used at a wedding a few weeks before, complete with stain 🤦‍♀️.

RosiesMaw Sun 31-Dec-23 21:03:28

FannyFanackerpan

I made that for you with love 💕💕💕😢😢😢😢😢

Attlee Sun 31-Dec-23 22:05:05

Oh that would be the bright orange wool jumper with brown blanket stitches on the bottom, neck and sleeves and a big dog on the front 🙈
I felt I had to wear it on Christmas Day (my DH bought it) and itched all day.
It was the most hideous thing ever.I kept it for a few years in my wardrobe and got rid of it as soon as I thought he wouldn't miss it - and he didn't.

MiniMoon Sun 31-Dec-23 23:05:22

An electric toothbrush from my husband one year. Useful yes but not what I'd been hinting about for most of the year.

CoolCoco Mon 01-Jan-24 06:29:28

My late MiL was the one for “thoughtful “ gifts. - An ashtray and a can of Stella for my DS ( who doesn’t smoke). - “ for visitors”, a ball of elastic bands collected from discards from the postman “ may come in useful”, last year’s diary - “ you can just change the days” - plus numerous regifts with the person’s name crossed out etc etc.

Curtaintwitcher Mon 01-Jan-24 06:30:52

Large white Sloggi knickers from my husband. No more sexy nighties!

NanKate Mon 01-Jan-24 07:20:32

A deep fat fryer from DH 😏 admittedly he did buy me other things.