Gransnet forums

Christmas

Post Christmas Empty Nest Syndrome

(75 Posts)
Ilovedragonflies Wed 27-Dec-23 16:28:06

My DD, her BF and their kitten have just left for home. My DD came home on the 16th, with the kitten, BF joined us a bit later. The house has been filled with happiness, the kitten and my dog made friends and played chase together and now they've gone, the house feels so empty again. The dog is firmly lodged beside me, so he's feeling it too. I know it's daft, but I feel so utterly bereft I've just had a little sob. That's it really. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just needed to offload.

dogsmother Wed 27-Dec-23 16:34:34

Hugs to you 💐 and good fortune to your daughter in the exciting times ahead. Life is for living and I hope you find some peace and happiness going forward.

FannyFanackerpan Wed 27-Dec-23 16:37:07

Ah that's not surprising Ilovedragonflies, I completely understand how your feeling. I felt a bit like that when my lot departed after Christmas Day. Despite the noise and mess, it was lovely to have the house filled with life again and the silence felt louder than ever when they'd gone. Give yourself a day to recover and then how about inviting a friend over for coffee or a bite to eat in a day or so? I know it's not the same as having a full house but it's nice to look forward to having some company with a good friend.

AGAA4 Wed 27-Dec-23 16:41:35

I've often felt like that when my family have left for home. The place feels empty and too quiet. It passes when you get back to your normal routine.

fancythat Thu 28-Dec-23 06:34:48

I feel like that sometimes.
For me, I have gradually come to realise, if I am going to happen to see them again within about two months, I am a lot better than if I am not due to see them again for several months.

No problem at all this year. Some are staying until a few days into Jan, as their school is starting late. Plus I have to go visit the area where they live myself soon anyway.

HelterSkelter1 Thu 28-Dec-23 06:58:59

Oh it is hard. I am feeling I could have a little sob quite often now and do.
Christmas is a funny time. Winter feels long and dark. It does feel empty and strange when family go.
Your lovely dog is probably feeling your sadness more than his own and is comforting you.

Radio on lights on. Get out for a dog walk somewhere new? Can you plan to visit DD soon or for her to stay again soon? There must be so many, women especially, on their own now and feeling exactly the same this week. Hope you cheer up soon and that talking about it has helped.

GrannyGrunter Thu 28-Dec-23 07:21:04

I must be the only one grateful to see the back of them all. They have eaten and drank everything in the house, slept over so now lots of bedding and towels to wash. House to dust and vacuum. I closed the front door, breathed a sigh of relief and made a creamy coffee with Bailey's in it and some chocolates and sat down to watch catch up TV before I started on the housework.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family but after nearly 10 years of living alone since my DH died, I have had to get used to a simple, quiet way of living and now I am 81 years old, I am shattered when they have all gone home.

My goodness.

fancythat Thu 28-Dec-23 07:59:33

I am a younger granny.
I couldnt possibly do it all if I was 81.

Iam64 Thu 28-Dec-23 08:17:48

Christmas-new year exaggerate emotions, no matter how hard we try not to join the emotional roller coaster.
I felt out of sorts yesterday, my first day home alone since 24th December. Foolishly I took myself to the sales but soon came home.
I try not to moan but I’m finding the dark, the endless down pours a trial.
Onwards and upwards x

Redhead56 Thu 28-Dec-23 09:33:39

What a good idea Baileys and coffee I must try that one.
We had full days of fun family food chaos and laughter. Our son and daughter came different days with their families. I must admit I still have empty nest it started when our daughter left for uni. I miss our son too but he doesn’t live far away I know how you feel though.
Wrap up take your dog out make warming soups and stews to eat over a couple of days. But the best idea get the Baileys out and look after yourself!

Joseann Thu 28-Dec-23 09:48:07

I think it's probably a release of emotions after all the expectations and family physical closeness. I'm glad your dog is providing some comfort.
At the other end of the scale, apparently young DGS has been sobbing his heart out this morning after going home, "because its all over!"
Onwards and upwards.

polnan Sat 30-Dec-23 11:18:49

I feel it every time I leave from visiting my family.
dh died just before covid and I think I never grieved ... whatever! I do not like living alone but....

Annamoo Sat 30-Dec-23 11:22:27

My sis and brother in law just left to go back to Oz after an unexpected visit. Feeling tearful and sad but will plan to visit them in 2025. Also started to tidy up to keep me occupied and lol dog now sleeping after all activity!!!!!

Marthjolly1 Sat 30-Dec-23 11:32:13

I'm feeling the emptiness too. Had a wonderful few days with DC and DGC. We had so much fun together. Now it's just the 2 of us again and I miss the family so much as we live so far away from them. I'll soon get back to normal and already looking forward to my next visit in the early spring.

2020convert Sat 30-Dec-23 11:32:16

Same here. Don’t exactly like the fuss and bother of a fully fuelled Christmas, but don’t like the loneliness afterwards either. Just can’t please me🤣 Hate these gray, dark days, some of which would have turned duvet days if I hadn’t to get up to take my dog out. Then I seem to spend the day “waiting for bedtime”. Roll on spring 🌿🌸🌷

Nannina Sat 30-Dec-23 11:33:36

I think I must be odd or even hard hearted! I love to see family and friends and have them stay but it’s also nice to see them go so I can revert to my old routine and have peace and quiet

HelterSkelter1 Sat 30-Dec-23 11:39:15

Yes roll on Springtime. I like seeing the pots of daffodils in the shops after endless holly etc. Although I love the holly as well, but I like the freshness now. It feels like a new start.

RicePudding613794 Sat 30-Dec-23 11:48:42

I feel for you…I’m currently waiting for my middle son and his lovely girlfriend to come downstairs with their suitcases, ready and eager to head back to England this afternoon after being here for over a week. It’s been lovely having them here and I see them often, but I hate this part and like you, at this moment I’m holding back the tears at the sheer anticlimax of their visit and Christmas being over. I’ll be fine once I leave them off at the airport and know they’ve arrived safely at the other end, and I have to admit that I love getting my house and their bedroom back into order, either for us to use, or ready for the next time they come home. Each time my son comes back, I become more aware that he has a new and good life elsewhere, and I’m glad of that…he and his girlfriend are missing their cat and I know they can’t wait to see him. It’s the way it’s meant to be I guess…children should fly the nest and make a life and family of their own, but I don’t think a mother can ever truly let go, no matter what age her children are, and for a long time after my son left home, I felt my house wasn’t complete without the five of us under one roof. I still have my two other sons at home and I also have two dogs, two cats and a new kitten, so my life will certainly be full and busy again once things return to normal. Might I suggest that, if you and your dog enjoyed having your daughter’s kitten to stay, that you consider getting one of your own, if circumstances allow…our newest little kitten is just a bundle of life and joy 🤍🤍

icanhandthemback Sat 30-Dec-23 11:52:30

I miss my boy when he goes back but there is also an element of relief too. When he is with us, I find myself watching to see that he isn't bored or upset about anything all the time. My husband is the same. I think it goes back to the time when he was struggling. When he goes back to his life where he seems very happy, it is with mixed emotions for me. That said, every time he says he is coming home, we are very excited. What strange beings we are.

Mollietwoknees Sat 30-Dec-23 11:53:07

Oh I’m with you on feeling bereft after the Christmas festivities when everyone departs to their respective homes. I really struggled this time . No idea why but I really had to give my head a wobble .
The dark wet days don’t help nor the wars and catastrophes occurring across the world. It’s such a strange time for everyone but in the words of that famous catchphrase….”…let’s be careful out there”….

Ilovedragonflies Sat 30-Dec-23 11:55:43

Thank you all for responding so kindly, it's good to know I wasn't alone in feeling that way.

I did take the dog out and he's still being cuddly. Am now in the process of dismantling the tree as I think that will help, too.

I have succumbed to the cold/cough that's doing the rounds so am doing it piecemeal - trimmings are off and I'm resting for a bit with a cuppa; next will be the annual fight with the strings of lights (which I will start off rewinding with patience and end up dumping in a mess in a box, as I do most years... eek!)

I hope those of you who felt like me are now feeling a little happier, it's such dreary weather and that doesn't help much, does it? Hugs to you all x

JaneJudge Sat 30-Dec-23 11:55:43

Our house was overflowing over Christmas and the last two days it has just been us, our youngest and the dog so it has been very quiet. Dog is over the moon! smile I do get what you mean but at least they come home, spend time with us etc. It could be worse

curvygran Sat 30-Dec-23 12:03:34

I feel for you - my youngest son flew back to Sydney on Thursday , having been here for a couple of weeks . My middle son and his young family are in Melbourne and didn't come over this year . The time together is very , very precious and the partings seem to get harder . I had a weep over the washing machine yesterday, having held myself together until then ....

Tenko Sat 30-Dec-23 12:06:36

I’m the same . DD came home on the 22nd and is going back today . DS went back on 28th . My brother and his dc came for Christmas and stayed until 27th . We’ve also met up with friends for dog walks and pub lunches . It was a lovely time .
I hate this time of year , it’s so dark and depressing weather wise . I’m going to have a coffee and plan a holiday .
Dogs are just the best companions.

Luckygirl3 Sat 30-Dec-23 12:09:37

I know that feeling - company seems to be either feast or famine - and the start of the famine hits like a brick! Hopefully you will gradually settle back into the old routine. Sending new year wishes ....