Gransnet forums

Christmas

Dealing with unwanted Christmas gifts

(84 Posts)
Judy54 Wed 20-Dec-23 13:19:36

I read recently that a Mother and one of her Daughters put their money together to buy a handbag for her other Daughter one Christmas. Not long after Mother and Daughter who had bought the gift saw it in the window of a charity shop. They went in and bought it wrapped it up and gave it to said Daughter for her birthday. I am not saying that it is something I would do but understand their reasons for doing so. If I receive something that is not to my taste, I try to smile politely and show some gratitude. How about you what would you do with an unwanted gift?

swampy1961 Wed 20-Dec-23 14:39:50

Family know that we keep receipts for virtually every purchase and would far rather they asked for said receipt so they can exchange for duplication, sizing or not to taste.
No-one can get it right all the time so I'd rather they returned the gift and put the value to something they would rather have than re-gift or put in a cupboard never to see the light of day.
I have received some questionable gifts though - usually chocolates - even though I don't like them but DH and family have no problem in sampling them for me!!

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Dec-23 15:03:45

I have a friend for whom it is difficult to buy presents. The same item was returned to me the next Christmas. She seeks out the person who gave it to her originally and does not bother giving it to somebody else. I no longer give her presents.

Eirlys Wed 20-Dec-23 15:07:54

I used to hang on to unwanted gifts for years! Then charity shops benefited. I give money now and a small, often jokey gift, just something to unwrap. The main gift is the recipient's responsibility/

biglouis Wed 20-Dec-23 15:09:07

I would thank the given and stuff it away in a cupboard. Then when it became retro I would sell it in one of my online shops.

Louella12 Wed 20-Dec-23 15:24:19

I'm just wondering how on earth they knew it was the handbag they'd bought!

I don't think I'd have leaped to the conclusion these ladies came to.

OldFrill Wed 20-Dec-23 15:30:19

Online swap groups are rife with unwanted Xmas presents. That or re-gifting. I don't care what happens to a gift once I've given it, not my business.

Aveline Wed 20-Dec-23 15:32:10

The next Christmas would be awkward for that mother and daughter.

AreWeThereYet Wed 20-Dec-23 15:33:48

I also wondered how they knew it was the bag they bought. Was it a unique, handmade bag? I would rather people exchange anything I buy that they don't want. But once it's given it's up to them.

Parsley3 Wed 20-Dec-23 15:44:50

I also wondered how they knew that it was the same bag. I did once receive a gift in a bag with to Rosemary with love from Lavender written on the card. Clearly, one of Rosemary's unwanted gifts.

sodapop Wed 20-Dec-23 16:26:06

I think one of the saddest things that happened to me was finding all the gifts I had given or sent to my mother all wrapped in tissue paper in a drawer. This was when we were clearing her house after she died. I don't keep things for 'best' now, I use or wear all the gifts I am given.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Dec-23 16:30:33

How do they know it was the handbag they gave the granddaughter did it have her name on it in the charity shop???
That’s mean really mean

Maybe your mum treasured them so much she didn’t want to use them up sodapop 🥰

crazyH Wed 20-Dec-23 16:38:43

Yes sodapop - I think your mum treasured your gifts. That’s why she wrapped them in tissue paper 😢

silverlining48 Wed 20-Dec-23 16:41:09

Soda pop my mum was exactly the same. She even put notes with the gifts, of who and when they were bought for her. She kept lots that I had given her.
Must confess to being a bit the same but am trying hard not to hoard/ cherish but use some of the nice toiletries I have been given.

Blossoming Wed 20-Dec-23 16:47:42

My sister once gave me a truly hideous handbag for Christmas. I have no idea why she thought I might like it and she is usually good at gifting. It wasn’t just ugly, it was huge and heavy and completely unwieldy to someone with a walking stick and a useless left arm. I had to wax lyrical on its fabulousness upon opening it and I think I deserved an Oscar for my performance. I eventually gave it to a charity shop, there was no chance of her seeing it as she doesn’t live local to me.

Calendargirl Wed 20-Dec-23 16:57:03

This thread shows yet again that the giving of gifts can be a total waste of time and money if it is not the recipient’s choice.

So often on Facebook I see stuff, toys, handbags, clothes being put up for sale- ‘unwanted gift’,

Pointless exercise.

Aldom Wed 20-Dec-23 16:59:27

In the little town where I live unwanted Christmas /birthday gifts are given to a local charity. The charity holds a New Year party for people with mental health difficulties and everyone receives a gift, using the unwanted gifts. These gifts bring great joy to the recipients.

urooj Wed 20-Dec-23 18:57:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Witzend Wed 20-Dec-23 19:01:17

Aldom

In the little town where I live unwanted Christmas /birthday gifts are given to a local charity. The charity holds a New Year party for people with mental health difficulties and everyone receives a gift, using the unwanted gifts. These gifts bring great joy to the recipients.

What a good idea.

Among the adults in this family, we now only give fairly token presents of edibles or drinkables. Nobody wants any more ‘stuff’ and IMO unless you know exactly what someone wants, any clothes/toiletries etc. are best chosen by oneself.

Fleurpepper Wed 20-Dec-23 19:06:39

Men at the local refuse tip told us that after Christmas they get loads of Christmas presents dumped there- many of them unwrapped.

So much waste- we are like Witzend- only give to children and those we spend Christmas with - and make sure receipts are kept and we all know how to organise exchanges, without any acrimony or bad feelings.

Jimjam1 Wed 20-Dec-23 19:06:52

We as a family had a discussion in August regarding Christmas presents. We decided to buy Christmas presents for the children that are still at school but not for adults. As a alternative we are all meeting for a pre Christmas meal on Friday. It has taken a lot of pressure and expense away. We will be doing the same next year.

BrandyGran Wed 20-Dec-23 19:35:30

My daughter and I treated ourselves to afternoon tea in a posh hotel for our Xmas present to each other. Pianist playing Xmas tunes on a baby grand, delicious food and wonderful attention- it was the best present ever!! Try it!

M0nica Wed 20-Dec-23 19:39:51

Everyone in our family files a sish list in early November, obviating the need to give presents to chairty because they are not wanted. Every gift a wanted gift!

M0nica Wed 20-Dec-23 19:40:43

wish list

Aveline Wed 20-Dec-23 21:41:40

At one church guild I was speaking at they had a table at the back where people could donate unwanted presents every week. They were all sold to any of the ladies who wanted to buy one and the proceeds funded their annual outing. Seemed a excellent idea to me