Gransnet forums

Christmas

Is Your Christmas Card List Getting Shorter

(99 Posts)
Moonwatcher1904 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:04:40

For quite a few years I kept a list of people who I send cards to in a file on my pc. I find it easy to keep a note but each year I send lovely cards out and especially to cousins, sister in laws etc. Every year I'm noting that I have not received one from several of them so I cross them off my list. This year I've sent 28 out and up to now only got 17 back. I know these people haven't moved or died. I know there is still several days to go but it's very disappointing that I have thought about someone and not had the thought returned. I posted mine the first week of December.
How do you all deal with cards?

SueDonim Mon 18-Dec-23 23:13:55

I haven’t sent any cards this year. Our house was flooded recently and cards are the last thing on my mind.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:16:35

Sorry to hear that sue

polomint Mon 18-Dec-23 23:19:13

I send out cards too. I like to remember old school friends as I write their cards. I would not mind if I didnt get a card in return as I wouldn't know the circumstances. I do admit that the amount I send has dropped due to relatives and friends dying. I think the cost of stamps is extorniate

henetha Mon 18-Dec-23 23:30:43

I'm definitely sending and receiving less cards now. Lots of my friends have died , and my sister and b.i.l also .

nanna8 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:41:23

Yes- about half what it was just 5 years back. I just figured if the only contact is just once a year,I’m not bothered, with the exception of overseas who are mostly relatives.

SueDonim Mon 18-Dec-23 23:47:17

Thank you, Silverlining. It was a shock but we’re getting there and Christmas will happen. smile

Dempie55 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:47:50

Yes. I used to send out around 50 cards, now it’s under 30. I’m widowed, and found that the cards I used to send out to my husband’s friends were not reciprocated after he died. So they got crossed off the list. Others have died, or lost contact after I moved house twice in two years. My adult children hardly send out any cards at all - I think the whole thing will die out in the next 5 years.

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:48:48

Sorry to hear this SueDonim. I hope you get your house sorted soon. xx

maddyone Mon 18-Dec-23 23:49:08

So sorry to hear about your house SueDonim. What a horrible thing to happen at anytime, but especially at Christmas.
Yes, we receive fewer cards these days. We used to get a lot of cards from our workplaces, but now we’re retired we get fewer, and of course, family members and friends who used to send cards have sadly died. This is the second year I haven’t had a card from my either of my parents. My father died seven years ago and my mother died eighteen months ago.

Bonnybanko Mon 18-Dec-23 23:50:53

I love to send cards it doesn’t bother me if I don’t receive one back
My pleasure is in the giving NOT in the receiving 😘

Theexwife Mon 18-Dec-23 23:59:34

Many people have stopped sending cards preferring to WhatsApp or email greetings.

nanna8 Mon 18-Dec-23 23:59:42

Sorry about your floods, Sue- are you in Australia ? We have a lot of floods just now. And the usual bushfires. Horrible, especially at Christmas and I hope you can get it cleared by then.

V3ra Tue 19-Dec-23 00:27:56

I posted mine on Sunday Moonwatcher1904 so they won't have arrived yet.
Still got the local ones to write and deliver.

I wasn't very well last Christmas and didn't send any cards at all.
I have been pleased to still get them this year from people who could very understandably have crossed me off their lists, so I have made a point of sending them.
I've also posted special cards individually to my two grandchildren, and money wallets individually to the family children I send a little something to.
I think children like to see their own name on an envelope when the post drops through the letterbox 💌 😊

adrisco Tue 19-Dec-23 00:44:44

My husband died on 8th December. I'm not sending cards this year but keep receiving a few addressed to both of us. Been trying to let people know of his death but it's not been easy and mail has obviously crossed in the post. Quite a few tears shed,

Redhead56 Tue 19-Dec-23 00:52:41

I support and give a lot to various charities especially when needed most at Christmas time. I still take time to send greeting cards no matter what my circumstances.

I know prices and postage have gone through the roof but it’s only once a year if people can’t be bothered now next year I won’t. I am getting a bit bored with the excuses so yes my Christmas list is getting shorter.

Redhead56 Tue 19-Dec-23 00:54:26

adrisco sorry to have just read about your husband 💐

Moonwatcher1904 Tue 19-Dec-23 01:26:14

Adrisco sending hugs to you. I lost my parents around Christmas. My dad in 1982 and mum in 1991 so it's always sad for me around this time. I always try to get a couple of bits in that they liked such as a bottle of Advocaat and some dates.
As Redhead says about the price of postage going up but yes it's only once a year. It will be interesting to see how many more we'll get before Saturday.

Calendargirl Tue 19-Dec-23 06:57:14

A few ex work friends and I meet up now and again, and the pre Christmas one is when we exchange cards. Last year one announced she wasn’t sending cards, giving to charity instead, another said she only sends out to anyone she gets one from. So we agreed, no cards, I had already given mine out.

This year, they still handed out cards! Well, I didn’t and aren’t starting again, if they wonder why not…..

Greyduster Tue 19-Dec-23 07:06:46

Yes, less than last year. I’ve only sent out about half a dozen; the rest have been hand delivered. We have had a spate of losing family and friends this year. I may not send any at all next year.

Greyduster Tue 19-Dec-23 07:07:44

Adrisco💐

tanith Tue 19-Dec-23 07:18:29

I’ve sent half a dozen this year instead of 40+ I’ve messaged those that I can but I’ve decided a specific charity needs the money saved more than people need a card from me. I don’t mind not getting cards.

recklessgran Tue 19-Dec-23 07:19:20

In my circle it's definitely the cost of postage that's stopping people from sending cards. I must admit I've cut out my list of "randoms" completely. By that I mean long lost friends and distant relatives who we never see or keep contact with except the annual card exchange. Wouldn't it be lovely if Royal Mail introduced a flat rate 50p card stamp just for December - that to my mind would keep the tradition going. I too think the card exchange tradition will die out before long - certainly the younger generations don't seem to bother.

karmalady Tue 19-Dec-23 07:25:27

I dont like cards, waste of effort, time and money. I don`t send them but give what I would have spent to the man from the salvation army. People still send them to me but that is up to them, I bin them.

I have no intention of adding to landfill

Esmay Tue 19-Dec-23 07:27:26

Most of our relatives seem to have given us the heave ho at Christmas after so many years .
It's so painful .
But I have lots of new friends and we exchange cards and small gifts .