Gransnet forums

Christmas

What are you going to eat AFTER Christmas?

(62 Posts)
RosiesMaw Mon 18-Dec-23 12:53:45

Is it going to be bread and dripping - to recover from the expense? Or a New Year detox?
Or are you counting on leftovers? If so you have clearly never entertained my 6’4” nephew who has hollow legs or my eldest GS who is rapidly heading the same way! No leftovers when they visit.
Perhaps you already have a freezer full of “other” food? Or will it be macaroni cheese/pasta and tomato sauce/gnocchi with the same?
My post Christmas resolution is to eat up the assorted things I have no idea exactly why I bought - the duck breasts, stewing lamb, side of sea trout and ALL the bags of frozen veg -(those may become soup.)
And I will try not to be sidetracked by all the incredible reductions and yellow stickers on “Christmas” food.

Norah Mon 18-Dec-23 13:02:21

We've eaten far too much already this month, moments after Christmas Lunch I hope to begin 'detox' or my clothes will revolt!

Witzend Mon 18-Dec-23 13:15:22

Probably no leftover turkey alas since we’re going to a dd, but certainly gammon (I’ll be cooking ours on the 23rd) and I’ve just put a nice joint of pork in the freezer to have sometime during the week after.
Plus the 2nd 🎄pud - 1st will go to DD’s. And the brandy butter, if there’s any left

Apart from all that, as far as poss no food shopping for at least a week, so using up whatever there is in fridge and cupboards, so probably plenty of my ‘signature’ dustbin soups, as my mother used to call them, and ‘going on frugals’ as she also used to say after any expensive time such as Christmas.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Dec-23 13:21:35

Boxing Day will be any left over chicken and gammon, nothing will be wasted.

Then it will just be back to everyday meals, apart from my James Martin Whiskey Christmas cake, which will probably last about a week, if last year’s is anything to go by.

No desire to overeat really.

Beechnut Mon 18-Dec-23 13:31:50

I don’t recommend the frozen veg soup Maw. I’ve just been down that road and glad I’m back to ‘proper’ food 🤣

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-23 13:37:39

I always make Thai fishcakes for lunch on Boxing Day. It makes a nice change from the usual Christmas stuff.

There won't be many leftovers as DD is doing the Christmas meal (which isn't turkey) at her house. So back to normal really.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-Dec-23 13:41:23

We shall eat whatever we fancy.

I am not a fan of detoxing unless on medical grounds. I have done dry January many times, but nit this year as we are going away 🍾

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Dec-23 13:48:44

Normal meals up to Christmas Eve, then the same after Boxing Day, just a couple of days with ‘extras’.
To answer the question, nothing really.

MayBee70 Mon 18-Dec-23 13:55:49

For years we ended up having a Christmas lunch day after day for a week after Christmas. This year we’re going to my daughters and I’ve said I’m just going to eat normal food the rest of the time.

Cabbie21 Mon 18-Dec-23 14:18:07

I am just about to stock up to make sure I have enough food in the freezer in case I can’t get to DS on 25th or DD on 26th, as recently I have been using up old stuff in the freezer. So if I do go, my Christmas treats will still be there.

MrsKen33 Mon 18-Dec-23 14:24:16

Leftovers. I have so much prepared. Two casseroles, a fish pie etc. that we won’t starve.

pascal30 Mon 18-Dec-23 14:30:51

I used to love the turkey soup made with the carcass. stuffing and barley...

M0nica Mon 18-Dec-23 14:48:12

Turkey on the day, venison casserole on Boxing day (already made and frozen), and after that turkey and hamin a whole range of different dishes from pies, curry, with pasta, with pasta.

Every day will be something different until it is no more then the carcase will be put in the slow cooker overnight to provide me with the stock to make a delicious main course soup.

I spend a lot of money on a top quality turkey and justify this by not wasting a single cubic centimetre of it. I also put turkey slices in the freezer to be used up somtime between Christmas and Easter

annodomini Mon 18-Dec-23 15:18:19

After Christmas, I'll be staying with DS2 and partner. As they're vegans, your guess is as good as mine!

tanith Mon 18-Dec-23 15:22:57

I’ll be with family Christmas Day and Boxing Day so it’ll be back to my normal food/dinners after that. I have a beef joint I’ve bought to cook on NYD with all the trimmings.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 18-Dec-23 15:44:03

Boxing Day is a buffet with cold Turkey and gammon and salads. I am also intending making a recipe called Christmas pie which is a version of a raised pie made with chicken, sausage meat, apricots, cranberry’s etc. trifle and French apple tart for desert.

Then we always have nice meals until New Year after which it will be back to normal. I sometimes have a twelve night meal, but nothing planned this year.

Redhead56 Mon 18-Dec-23 16:05:08

There shouldn't be many leftovers here I have a big bag here with goodies for Christmas. The other day I went through it and filled a carrier bag for the food bank. Other people can have the pleasure of the food I don't neeed it. I don't detox after Christmas I just eat my usual rather sensible choice of food.

RosiesMaw Mon 18-Dec-23 16:16:15

Maybe this is the place to repost a little something from a year or so back!

On the first day of Christmas my true love said to me:
I`ve bought a big, fresh turkey and a proper Christmas tree.
On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard
as we tucked into our turkey- a most delicious bird.
On the third day of Christmas came the people from next door.
The turkey tasted just as good as it had done before.
On the fourth day of Christmas came relations, young and old.
We finished up the Christmas pud and had the turkey cold.
On the fifth day of Christmas, outside the snowflakes scurried
But we were nice warm inside – we had the turkey curried.
On the sixth day of Christmas, the Christmas spirit died
As the children fought and bickered – we had turkey rissoles fried.
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love he did wince
When he sat down at the table and was offered turkey mince.
On the eighth day of Christmas the dog had run for shelter
He`d seen our turkey pancakes and the glass of Alka Seltzer.
On the ninth day of Christmas by lunchtime Dad was blotto
He knew that bird was back again, this time as a risotto.
On the tenth day of Christmas we were drinking home-made brew
As if that wasn`t bad enough, we were eating turkey stew.
On the eleventh day of Christmas the Christmas tree was moulting.
With chilli, soy and oyster sauce the turkey was revolting.
On the twelfth day of Christmas we had smiles upon our lips.
The guests had gone, the turkey too – we dined on fish and chips.

Casdon Mon 18-Dec-23 16:17:29

We have a Turkey crown for Christmas lunch because none of us are big fans, we only want enough for lunch on Christmas Day, cold on Boxing Day, and one batch of sandwiches. After that we might have scrambled eggs on toast, and always keep a few Pieminister pies in the freezer, that’s our go to when we’ve had enough of Christmas food, and everybody chooses their own favourite.

Witzend Mon 18-Dec-23 16:47:55

Whitewavemark2

Boxing Day is a buffet with cold Turkey and gammon and salads. I am also intending making a recipe called Christmas pie which is a version of a raised pie made with chicken, sausage meat, apricots, cranberry’s etc. trifle and French apple tart for desert.

Then we always have nice meals until New Year after which it will be back to normal. I sometimes have a twelve night meal, but nothing planned this year.

That Christmas pie sounds delish!
I will Google a recipe.

foxie48 Mon 18-Dec-23 17:30:07

RosiesMaw love the poem!

We're staying with family from Christmas eve to the 28th, so I'll be coming home to an empty fridge. We're booked in to a restaurant on Boxing Day to celebrate my birthday, we've been before and the food is usually very good. SIL always bakes me a chocolate log as a birthday cake.

CanadianGran Mon 18-Dec-23 17:45:39

We freeze leftovers, so can have turkey any time in January. My favourite is turkey gravy and rice, with peas. I've never heard of anyone else making this, but my Mum used to, and it something comforting and filling on a winter's day.

I don't do a detox, in fact January is when I enjoy tucking in to boxes of chocolates that were gifts, having a slice of Christmas cake, and nibbling on cookies baked in abundance. They usually tide me over until Valentine's day!

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 18-Dec-23 18:20:43

RosiesMaw Fab!
Will strike fear in those who have ordered a big 'ungrin

Whitewavemark2 Mon 18-Dec-23 18:24:29

Witzend

Whitewavemark2

That Christmas pie sounds delish!
I will Google a recipe.

BBC recipe🙂🎄

sharonarnott Wed 20-Dec-23 11:12:34

Whatever I fancy. I can't eat just anything these days, it has to be something I feel I can eat on that particular day.