Gransnet forums

Christmas

November too early

(56 Posts)
Puzzlelove Fri 24-Nov-23 12:04:26

Am I the only one who thinks November is too early to put up Christmas tree/decorations? Personally if I put them up before December I would get fed up with seeing them by the time Christmas arrives.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:08:10

Too early for me but each to their own.

Georgesgran Fri 24-Nov-23 12:13:56

A lot of young families where DD1 lives, put their decorations up mid-November. Many have super outdoor lighting/decor that they adapt for birthdays/Halloween or any sort of celebration.

Too early for me, but I am a bah humbug!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:22:51

We have a neighbour who puts up their de orations at the beginning of November 😃- but they are a very social couple who love any excuse for a beano and there are lots of “dos” at their place to which neighbours are invited - always enjoying a splendid time.

So I put up my decorations about a week before Christmas - I like tradition, and that is what I’ve always done. That weekend we are all going (about 10 couples I think) to dinner and carols at the golf club, and I’m doing my bit by inviting them to drinks and canapés before we all go to dinner.

Everyone is different which makes life more interesting I think.

eazybee Fri 24-Nov-23 12:26:29

I dislike it intensely because by the time Christmas arrives the decorations are jaded, dusty and depressing. and so many people seem to rip them down immediately after Christmas day. Why?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 12:33:43

Beginning of December for me, and leave them up until Twelfth Night. Thank goodness none of our neighbours puts up any more than a lighted tree outside, as do we.

V3ra Fri 24-Nov-23 12:36:22

Normally I'd agree!
I don't have a Christmas tree as such, but have found some lights that fit my big pot plant perfectly.
I tried them out yesterday when they arrived and they're staying put for the duration now 🙂

Siope Fri 24-Nov-23 12:41:02

I normally do mine about December 20th and they are up for nine or ten days, as we go away for new year.

Georgesgran Fri 24-Nov-23 12:47:17

Take mine down the day after Boxing Day. Can’t wait to get rid and look forward to Spring bulbs and flowers.

aonk Fri 24-Nov-23 12:50:02

I really don’t mind what people do. Maybe having the decorations up early cheers up the dark nights? Not something to get bothered about. We leave it until about 2 weeks before Christmas as we have a real tree. Each to their own!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 24-Nov-23 12:52:08

I love your Festive Fig(?) V3ra. I don't normally start this early but I have a tree up in the dining room already! I like to layer up my Christmas starting with trees and garlands then adding lights, ribbons, candles and bits as the weeks go on - baubles and sparkles come out mid December. Keeps the excitement goinggrin.

Oreo Fri 24-Nov-23 13:18:47

aonk

I really don’t mind what people do. Maybe having the decorations up early cheers up the dark nights? Not something to get bothered about. We leave it until about 2 weeks before Christmas as we have a real tree. Each to their own!

Same feelings here.
A dark cold month needs a bit of cheer.The item on the news about the immense wonky Christmas tree in the town of March cheered me up this morning. 😂
Maybe the councillors will give their supplier a rocket about it, but it put their town on the map, I’ve never heard of it.

Norah Fri 24-Nov-23 13:19:15

We've lots of GC, GGC that pop over often. They love sparkling trees outdoors, as do we. Near Christmas they enjoy larger than life-size outdoor inflating Father Christmas and elves, for a few days. To each their own.

Theexwife Fri 24-Nov-23 13:36:45

Other peoples decorations do not affect me so they can have them up all year if they want to.

I dont put any up, I live alone and do not spend christmas at home.

Celieanne86 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:36:50

I have two sisters whose birthdays are 2nd and 7th of December and when we were children my dad would not allow any pre Christmas celebrations until after these birthdays. We could make the streamers and tissue paper flowers but they had their birthdays then the fun started. Because of this which has become a life time habit I don’t do anything about Christmas until after the 7 th I don’t even write a .Christmas card but I co admit to secretly Christmas shopping (sorry Dad) my outside lights will be done and Christmas tree decorated on the 8 th. Yes I know it’s crazy don’t judge me but it’s how I like it.

Louella12 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:40:59

I don't mind if people want to keep their decorations up all year

Not my business !

Bella23 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:10:54

When young our decorations went up in early December for family birthdays.
I'm a bit of a Scrouge, not with presents, decorations as near as possible to Christmas that fits in and down on 12 night.
I have never joined in any Blackpool illumination competition wherever I have lived but have lived near villages that had cars just driving around looking at the lights.

AreWeThereYet Fri 24-Nov-23 14:30:22

Ours don't go up till about the week before Christmas. Come down 5th January. What others do is up to them. Part of celebrations for us is the anticipation - for two weeks we enjoy Christmas - presents, visits, games, food, decorations - then it's back in it's box for another 50 weeks.

We have whole roads near us lit up from the beginning of December - people go and have a gawp and 'ooh' and 'aah' for a week then it's old news.

SueDonim Fri 24-Nov-23 15:37:56

Christmas trees that go up in November are displaying a case of premature treejaculation. grin.

I don’t much care what others do, but for us, decorations go up in the week before Christmas and come down just after NY.

AGAA4 Fri 24-Nov-23 15:49:31

When I was a child the tree and decorations went up on 24th December and taken down early January. We all have our own customs so no wrong or right way.

vintage1950 Fri 24-Nov-23 15:58:03

Yes, we always put up our decorations on Christmas Eve and left them till Twelfth Night. However, one snowy year my poor father realized that all the tree lights were duff, so he had to go out and buy another set from the curmudgeonly old man who owned the local ironmonger's shop. My father not best pleased.

Fleurpepper Fri 24-Nov-23 16:02:52

Far too early- DEcember is the month and not a day before. I am not religious, but it starts with Advent.

Witzend Fri 24-Nov-23 17:02:16

V3ra

Normally I'd agree!
I don't have a Christmas tree as such, but have found some lights that fit my big pot plant perfectly.
I tried them out yesterday when they arrived and they're staying put for the duration now 🙂

I’ve got some lights in a big plant (more of a mini tree) which went on before Christmas over 2 years ago. I’d intended to take them down once the clocks changed in March, but they’ve been there ever since. Nice and cheerful after dark, or on a dull, grey day, whatever the time of year.

rafichagran Fri 24-Nov-23 17:10:45

I put my real tree up middle of December and it stays until 12th night.
This is one of the Joy's of Christmas for me.
I would not put it up in November, but its up to others what they do.

MissChateline Fri 24-Nov-23 17:58:13

My Christmas twig goes up on Xmas Eve and comes down on Boxing Day. That’s long enough for this consumerist shenanigans.