Gransnet forums

Christmas

Garden Centre Christmas has started me off! Help.

(29 Posts)
keepcalmandcavachon Tue 21-Nov-23 16:27:37

Had a very merry visit to such a Christmassy garden centre yesterday with my daughter & son in law (my birthday treat!). Oh my goodness- the displays! Everywhere festooned with festiveness and twinkling like crazy.
I don't know if it was " visions of sugarplums dancing in my head " but by 9.30 this morning I'd put up my first tree (dining room).
Our Christmas Market and Lights Switch on are happening on Friday so I may not be able to hold back on the rest of the decorating on this weekend! Talk me down someone shock

Joseann Tue 21-Nov-23 16:39:31

Very naughty!
Garden centres really have got their displays down to a fine art.

Smileless2012 Tue 21-Nov-23 16:44:24

Well now you've started, you might as well carry on. Just enjoy decorating your home and then sit back and enjoy what you've achieved.

fancythat Tue 21-Nov-23 17:33:04

While you are in the mood, carry on?!

I so vary each year. I can be Dec 1st[not often], Dec 23rd, or anywhere in between.

I am quite in the Christmas mood this year, so may be earlier rather than later.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Nov-23 17:55:58

DH will bring down the many many boxes of decorations from the loft over the weekend for me to sort out.

The house will be decorated, the artificial trees will be in situ by 1/12 (including Christmas bedding on all beds, Christmas cushions and throws in sitting room, Christmas towels in downstairs loo), along with outside lights. The real tree ( for the sitting room) will not be bought until 13/14th Dec.

I love to see the house decorated inside and out. Christmas holds many memories for me, both happy and sad, but I absolutely love it, especially the special church services.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 21-Nov-23 18:02:33

Ooh, I shall carry on now! Hopefully Kirsty will soon be back to inspire with her lovely festive fancies on TV, cant waitgrin

Cossy Fri 24-Nov-23 11:34:28

Just go for it! Life’s too short, yolo etc! Do what makes you happy and smile x Merry Christmas grin

B9exchange Fri 24-Nov-23 11:40:22

I went to a local Christmas fair and fell for a really pretty natural wreath for £11.99, bargain! Not worth storing it in the loft, so it has gone on the front door. Now that I see it every time I walk in and out, the urge to get going on decorations has started!

Dempie55 Fri 24-Nov-23 11:41:34

No, not allowed. I am containing myself till December. I have got out all the decorations and lights, just been sorting through them - several broken, don’t understand how when they’ve been sat in a box for a year!

Amalegra Fri 24-Nov-23 11:41:54

I have finished my extra Christmas cleaning, which I do out of habit (my dear Mum used to always insist it was necessary!) rather than need. So it’s all systems go for the decorating now! I will sort everything over the weekend and spend the next week or so putting them up. I live alone but go overboard, I know. Every room is decorated; five Christmas trees, a six foot in each of the two bedrooms, two in my large hall and a huge 7ft+ in the lounge. I also have a small one in the kitchen and a tabletop one on the sideboard. All are themed ( I’m obsessively particular about them!). Then there’s all the rest of the (themed again) decorations. I will have a clear out of the things I’m no longer using and a trip to the charity shop. They’ll be replaced, of course, with ones I’ve picked up in last year’s sales or this year. My (adult) children and my grandchildren adore my Christmas house and tbh so do I! Makes me feel like a little girl again but with the added bonus of having it all my own way! My mother didn’t like too much fuss when we were young although she always made a huge effort, and sadly got progressively more and more dismal about Christmas as she got older. I have vowed never to be like that and thoroughly enjoy the whole season! Decorations done, it’s just the food to plan, with the help of my two daughters (while attempting to please my gourmet inclined son!). Very happy days indeed!

MiniMoon Fri 24-Nov-23 11:51:10

I'd love to get started with the trees and decorations but we are going away for the first 3 days of December. I'll have to wait until we come home to put my trees up.
We went to York for the day yesterday and I amused myself on the homeward journey looking for signs of Christmas in the houses we passed on the coach.
I've been waiting for an electrician to come and install an outdoor socket for the new lights DH has bought. I must try to chase him up.

DamaskRose Fri 24-Nov-23 13:06:20

Right! You’ve all inspired me to get the decorations down and give them the once over. DH has already checked the lights (didn’t even have to ask him!). Good for you Amalegra for your determination to “carry on undaunted”!!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 24-Nov-23 13:29:56

Amalegra I salute you! And to all the kindred 'Christmas' spirits out there - go for it chumsgrin.
The Gingerbread Lattes are on me!

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 24-Nov-23 13:30:55

Oh you temptresses ...

Mouse Fri 24-Nov-23 13:45:05

I have given up on putting a tree up. One of my cats chews it and the other climbs it. After picking up tree and baubles then redressing the tree several times a couple of years ago, I gave up. I do try to Christmas the house in other ways though. Any ideas gratefully received.

Mayjohn Fri 24-Nov-23 13:56:32

My Father passed away in November and I am Recovering from a hysterectomy so decorations will be limited this year to a couple of small optical trees. Still intend to enjoy the festive season best I can with the family. Period of reflection this year.

Oreo Fri 24-Nov-23 13:58:26

Dempie55

No, not allowed. I am containing myself till December. I have got out all the decorations and lights, just been sorting through them - several broken, don’t understand how when they’ve been sat in a box for a year!

It’s the mice! They dance about on boxes in the loft🐭😄

Oreo Fri 24-Nov-23 14:02:06

Mouse

I have given up on putting a tree up. One of my cats chews it and the other climbs it. After picking up tree and baubles then redressing the tree several times a couple of years ago, I gave up. I do try to Christmas the house in other ways though. Any ideas gratefully received.

Use Christmas swags around the place instead?
There’s a really funny Simon’s Cat video on Youtube about dressing the Christmas tree then coming back to find it in a terrible state, have you seen it?🤣

Mouse Fri 24-Nov-23 14:25:09

Oreo
Yes I have lol. Reminds me of my two. I’ve had cats all my adult life but never had any as naughty as these two.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 24-Nov-23 14:28:41

Elder son and family put their tree up on 1 December. Ours goes up the weekend before Christmas. I have friends who wait until Christmas Eve.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 24-Nov-23 14:30:45

With a previous cat we had to tether the tree to a book case otherwise she pulled it over! Our current cats behave beautifully and just stare.

AreWeThereYet Fri 24-Nov-23 14:41:43

You do you. It doesn't really affect anyone else.

Our postie was telling me yesterday about a house that has been fully 'dressed' for a week - the squirrels ate through the wires for their outside lights, the wind blew their wreath down the road and demolished it and their dog pulled the tree down and broke most of the baubles. All over a three day period. Not a great start to their Christmas.

MBM Fri 24-Nov-23 15:20:10

Wow that’s early
Mary hasn’t told Joseph she’s pregnant yet😳

Gundy Fri 24-Nov-23 15:46:41

I love Christmas! I start planning/doing in November. I love putting things up and enjoy the ambience and atmosphere.

Things are getting pricier. If you are on a budget the one thing that will give you the mood and beauty is candles and pointsettia plants. Clip a few boughs🌲(or buy some). Then turn on some music. It doesn’t take much.

❄️ I’ve also become an expert in cutting out snowflakes (for the kids rooms). Hang with a thread (so they spin and twirl) from the ceiling, windows or in doorways. I use plain 8x10 copy paper which is easy to cut through. Start with an 8 inch circle - the secret is in the folding. Beautiful! ❄️

You don’t need all the electrified bright shiny baubles and tinsley pre-made wreaths, centerpieces and things made in China.

Go natural. Lots of Red Ribbon helps too.
Cheers!
USA Gundy

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 24-Nov-23 17:01:11

Awww just enjoy it ..,I’m sure it’ll look great.Mine will go up over the weekend 🎅🏽🌲🎄