Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mincemeat, can you use after bbe

(33 Posts)
Mikkima Thu 02-Nov-23 23:49:35

I've been given several jars of mincemeat which are past their best before date by years rather than months. Why my sister bought them is beyond me, she never bakes. Anyway she has had a clearout and as usual I am the beneficiary of multiple purchased on a whim items. It seems a shame to waste it. I know it has been mentioned on a thread before but I can't remember the replies. Would anyone use it?

B9exchange Fri 03-Nov-23 00:03:08

I think it would depend on just how far out of date they are. If I find an old jar of mincemeat I boil it up to kill off any bacteria, and then might add some extra fruit and brandy. If it tastes okay then, I will use it!

Calendargirl Fri 03-Nov-23 06:57:09

I would open one, look at it, sniff it, taste a bit.

If it tasted and smelled ok, and not mouldy or obviously too old, I would use it.

Having said that, if it is literally several years old, I might think differently.

(But if you don’t want your sister’s out-of-date impulse purchases, I would say “thanks, but no thanks”).

She might think about it if she has no one to dump them on.

Cabbie21 Fri 03-Nov-23 07:06:57

I guess it is the suet in it that might taste rank. Otherwise sealed jars and tins keep for years.

RosiesMaw Fri 03-Nov-23 07:08:52

Several years ?

I'd chuck them- I mean just why?

GrandmaSeaDragon Fri 03-Nov-23 07:24:38

I’ve used bought mincemeat that is 2-3 months out of date in Mary Berry’s mincemeat cake. It was fine but if jars are years old, I wouldn’t waste time, effort, other ingredients and fuel cooking something that may or may not be “ok”.

sodapop Fri 03-Nov-23 07:29:28

Mincemeat usually keeps well, however several years may be a step too far.

M0nica Fri 03-Nov-23 07:41:07

If worried about using it, empty all the jars, regardless of make or use by date etc into a saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer for a few minutes, lace heavily with brandy/whixky or other liqueur, rebottle and keep in the fridge.

Use it up in mincepies, large and small, bake apples and stuff them with it, stir it into stewed apple and make crumble or eat on its own.

GrannySomerset Fri 03-Nov-23 07:45:24

I make mincemeat every two or three years and it’s always fine. Stir a little brandy in if it looks a bit dry. Been doing this for 60 years without any ill effects.

Witzend Fri 03-Nov-23 08:08:29

If it looks and smells fine, , I’d use it. But I’m very much in the waste not, want not, camp.

Joseann Fri 03-Nov-23 08:14:45

Years out of date, I would throw away. I'm not saying it will poison you, but why use ingredients that are past their best and might spoil the taste of a whole recipe?

Witzend Fri 03-Nov-23 08:20:42

GrannySomerset

I make mincemeat every two or three years and it’s always fine. Stir a little brandy in if it looks a bit dry. Been doing this for 60 years without any ill effects.

I once added about half a teaspoon of fresh orange juice to each mince pie just before putting the lids* on and shoving them in the oven. The mincemeat was old-ish - I’d already added brandy in the jar but it still looked a bit dry.
Seemed to work fine.
*I always do star tops now, less pastry and they turn out looking more reliably tidy.

lemsip Fri 03-Nov-23 08:25:03

Do not even think about using it why risk food poisoning on your family?

shouldn't have accepted them from your sister.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Nov-23 08:47:53

I d use it if it smelt and tasted ok a lot of things keep way way beyond their sell by date
My best was when my daughter borrowed my clove oil off me and said OMG mum it’s 16 years out of date (it was fine)

Cabbie21 Fri 03-Nov-23 09:02:29

Loads of foods are wasted by worrying about Best Before dates. The ones to worry about are those which contain fish, dairy, fats, hence the suet in mincemeat may cause problems.
The vast majority of the contents of tins and jars are safe, they have been sterilised and sealed, but may not have the best flavour after a few years. I have got a number of out of date things in my cupboards which I have no worries about at all.

Joseann Fri 03-Nov-23 09:19:54

I know out of date wine tastes vinegary if that helps! 🤮

Bella23 Fri 03-Nov-23 09:24:56

I would throw them why take the risk?
After several bouts of campylobacter whilst on foreign holidays I no longer take any risks and have finally taught DH as well.If it looks or smells"off" out it goes without any tasting.

Cabbie21 Fri 03-Nov-23 09:27:15

But a vintage red can be like velvet, Josanne!!

Joseann Fri 03-Nov-23 10:34:57

Cabbie21

But a vintage red can be like velvet, Josanne!!

Ooo yes, funny you should say that, I was watching Ce qui nous lie yesterday and the children dug out a bottle of vintage red Burgundy covered in cobwebs from their dad's old cellar! 🍷 🍷

Fleur20 Fri 03-Nov-23 12:13:42

Not sure I would risk wasting the rest of the ingredients to be honest.
When I have mincemeat left in the jar I push it all down then cover the surface with some brandy. Keeps beautifully.. hic!!😊

Nannan2 Fri 03-Nov-23 12:23:04

Yes i wondered about this i have 2 jars about 2-3 years old i found in cupboard when i cleared to move- one is a Fortnum & Masons so im loathe to waste it.GrannySomerset- you say 2or 3 years could be fine?

Nannan2 Fri 03-Nov-23 12:29:48

I once made loads of mince pies with my kids when they were little- we made about 4 or 5 dozen i think- we handed them out to anyone who called but by christmas we froze the rest and we were eating them till Easter!🤣 I dont think they eat them now theyre adults😂

Farmor15 Fri 03-Nov-23 12:32:26

Retired microbiologist here! Mincemeat has such a high level of sugar that it definitely won't cause food poisoning. I've used 2 or 3 year old jars with no problems. Apple and mincemeat tart is nice any time of year!

Mikkima Fri 03-Nov-23 14:07:15

Thank you all for your opinions. Im going to try it myself after stirring in a good amount of fresh brandy. If I survive I will let others eat them. If not I will get someone to post about my demise. wink

Spidergran3 Fri 03-Nov-23 18:47:20

A lovely way to use up leftover mincemeat, of any age, is to add it to an apple crumble. My son reckons it’s good enough for Christmas with a posh topping if you don’t like Christmas pudding.