Gransnet forums

Christmas

Treating myself. Living alone

(56 Posts)
karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 06:16:15

It is a long holiday, so I get treats for myself for every christmas/new year break since I was widowed. I don`t wrap them up but it is nice to have a few special items just for me. It helps get through the long quiet time

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 06:33:54

I have a couple of tasty yummy advent calendars stashed in my garage and will open one first, keeping the second one for any potential bad-weather days after christmas

A magazine subscription, I don`t buy magazines but my sister recommended this one, I tried it and liked it. Only a one-off 12 months but a gift that will last a year

I have put together a sewing kit, to make myself a factotum bag, for when I need to be engrossed fully and to keep my mind focused

Two small kits to make a cute knitted bear and a companion squirrel for him

Eating treats: not too many as I have just about reached the weight I want to be. Nice crackers, maybe bath olivers and some cheese. A few prepared home made, tiny, mince pies that will bake straight from the freezer in my air fryer. Naturally a couple of bars of my favourite chocolate

Really nice basic organic food to arrive in my veg box, including a small stuffed turkey joint to treat myself.

First christmas I knew I would have to fill time so I bought a kit to make a spinning wheel. It was just cut bits of wood and the bits. It occupied me for a whole month and got me through that winter and is a beautiful wheel, I use it often

Last year it was an expensive reading lamp. It stands by my reciner and I use it every day during the dark months

BigBertha1 Thu 02-Nov-23 06:37:12

Sounds like a great plan. I hope there are still some people that you will have direct contact with over the period and will be chatting on here too.

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 06:48:35

Yes I have AC and dgc and see them all but basically am on my own as are many widowed people. I like my own bed best and always come back to my own home, I also like to give them space to have family time during this holiday. I do like the quiet time but won`t be depriving myself of treats, which remind me very much of how my husband used to spoil me, so now I treat myself, as he would have wanted

Cabbie21 Thu 02-Nov-23 06:52:10

Great idea Karmalady. I must give this some thought.

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 06:55:25

yes Cabbie, I know it is early days for you, we have to grasp the season with both hands otherwise all too easy to spend the time moping. Hence me usually getting something that makes me use my mind as well as my hands

TopsyIrene06 Thu 02-Nov-23 06:58:03

Karmalady thanks for that. Widowhood is not for the faint hearted.
As always, you speak to raise spirits, by showing what can be achieved if you have a plan. Loneliness is real and it takes strength to keep mind and body active. It can be done though as you show on a daily basis.
My go-to is current events which, at the moment, worry the life out of me. Then I switch to crochet or baking and if they fail me, I go to bed.

RosiesMaw Thu 02-Nov-23 07:00:50

It's a fine line isn't it between liking ones own bed best - which most of us do- and the well intentioned pressure from family not to be alone! The first Christmas after Paw died (November) I was quite content to let others decide for me but at the same time craved (if that's not too strong a word) my own nest. As Rosie is not what you'd call a "portable" dog, I also miss her when I am away and can say she's my reason to come home ! As for treating myself (well what's to stop me?) I'm not sure but maybe a couple of "projects" or something for others-a sort of reverse Advent calendar or a plan to get out to things more and stick to it.
Food for thought.

coco12 Thu 02-Nov-23 07:05:38

Sounds really nice Karmalady. We won't be seeing a lot of family this year and even though I work, the festive few weeks seem to drag on. I'll be getting some craft bits out I think like yourself to keep busy.

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 07:18:00

There are some to be had from the charity shop and they can go back after use

DVDs
jigsaw puzzles
books

I was going to try and recreate the irish coffee one year, I really enjoyed that when on holiday as a couple. I tried it last year and ended up pouring the whole bottle of whiskey down the sink. There is no way I will ever turn to the bottle, in fact I don`t like the taste of alcohol so the one bottle of malbec in the fridge, that I use for cooking will be enough for a glass to go with a meal

Redhead56 Thu 02-Nov-23 08:10:50

What an organised well thought out plan you have and useful ideas for others to consider. I have a friend who is widowed it did take her a long time to get over being alone. With the passage of time she has now made Christmas a busy and happier time. She started wrapping little gifts for herself to open around the holiday things she considers luxuries.
I hope time spent with your family and friends is joyous and you have a lovely Christmas.

Iam64 Thu 02-Nov-23 08:32:45

A timely reminder to have sone treats planned. It’s my 2nd Christmas without my lovely husband. I’m not as raw in grief as this time last year but I miss him so much.

Cabbie21 Thu 02-Nov-23 08:50:19

DH would never go anywhere or invite anyone ( after his mother died) on Christmas Day and though we enjoyed our day, I missed not being able to accept invitations from family. The one year I did was the best Christmas, when the grandchildren were 8 and 6, ten years ago. I have already been invited to them this year, but I expect to get invited to my son’s at some point. But I have always found all those in between days long, so I need a plan. Watching this thread with interest.

Fairislecable Thu 02-Nov-23 09:53:51

For my birthday I usually choose my own gift (clothing) from my DH, but this year on visiting a craft display I was inspired to buy a Lino cut kit.

It has really filled me with delight as it was pointed out to me by the demonstrator if your own drawing is not too good you can trace from anything you fancy.

This would be an ideal ‘gift to self’ for Christmas as you would have plenty of playing time.

LucyAnna Thu 02-Nov-23 09:58:33

Some good ideas, karmalady. What was the magazine you have a subscription for?

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 10:07:29

I had the important conversation, they were all worried about me over that christmas break. I have re-assured each of them, that I will be fine by myself and I could see that `worry` cloud lift from them. No longer any need for them to plan so much and I get to see them for a day during the hols, I like to drive and I leave them early enough so that I don`t have to drive in the dark. I come in and it is a phew, safely home and back in my nest

Part of coping of me bereavement was to make that nest and I have it now

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 10:09:20

Lucyanna, prima. I haven`t read it for years, my sister bought one on spec and said how good it is now. I bought the november one and thoroughly enjoyed it, took me days to get through it

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 10:25:19

I have just bought another gift to myself grin

Beyondthepinkdoor. A jacket kit to sew. No guilt even though I have a big fabric stash. Everything included and a wrapped box to open on `the day`

I am trying to avoid buying expensive calorific foods and I get engrossed when sewing, so much so that I don`t think of food nor nibbles

1summer Thu 02-Nov-23 10:28:53

This will be my second Christmas without my dear husband as well, widowhood and grief has been hard. I especially hate going into the winters alone although I have good family support.
My husband always bought me either the gift I asked for or some jewellery which he was always good at choosing. Also he always bought me some slippers, a book and a box of my favourite Anton de Berg chocolates. So last year I bought myself the slippers, a soppy Christmas book and the chocolates and wrapped them up from him. It was so nice opening them having a weep then spending a few days between Christmas and New year enjoying them.
I will do the same again this year, I will also make some mince pies didn’t have the heat last year.

LucyAnna Thu 02-Nov-23 12:32:50

karmalady

Lucyanna, prima. I haven`t read it for years, my sister bought one on spec and said how good it is now. I bought the november one and thoroughly enjoyed it, took me days to get through it

Ah - I thought you were going to say Landscape or the simple things smile

charliebb Sun 05-Nov-23 11:40:41

I was widowed five weeks ago so I'm in deep grief right now. I don't have any children but my sister who lives in Tasmania got the first flight to be with me for nearly four weeks until after the funeral. My brother who lives over 50 miles away also stayed with me for a few days and helped me so much with all the formalities. He then invited me to his house for the first weekend after my dear husband's funeral and was so kind and generous to me. I don't know how I would have got through those first few weeks without the two of them and feel very blessed to have such loving and caring siblings. Just reached the end of my first week alone at home and it's been so hard. I feel tired and ill most of the time. I know it's early days and I will start finding a way forward. I have a lot of good neighbours and friends from my local church which us very comforting.

GrannySomerset Sun 05-Nov-23 11:49:10

This second Christmas without DH will be hard as he loved Christmas and all the fuss. A windowed friend and I are planning to spend the day together and will gather up one or two others in the same position if they would like to join us. That way my AC do not have to anguish over who will have mother and I can feel I am doing something positive for others.

Tamayra Sun 05-Nov-23 11:54:38

Sending hugs to you
It’s a tough gig but as time goes by one learns to live with the loss & life goes on in a different way
Baby steps xxxxxx

grandMattie Sun 05-Nov-23 12:01:44

Interesting. I'm too mean to treat myself, although I can afford it. I just think that it's not worth it.
Having said tha, I shall go to the local beautician for a manicure - although I don't enjoy the actual manicure, my very ugly hands do look better afterwards!
I have just had quite a nice little win from ERNIE, so shall buy myself a steak.
I'm usually with one of my children form Christmas Day, so shan't be alone.

Gundy Sun 05-Nov-23 12:01:51

You are so good to yourself! I love reading this and am glad you do this kindness for a little happiness. I do the same around the holidays. For at least 20 yrs.

We are worth it, right?
Cheers!
USA Gundy