Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anyone else making 🎄 puddings soon?

(40 Posts)
Witzend Sun 22-Oct-23 13:32:59

I’m going to make mine next week, while Gdcs are staying (half term) so they can help with mixing up and make a wish.

Need to make sure I’ve got all the wherewithal first, but I did buy a bottle of ale the other day - ale is included in my favourite old GH recipe. It honestly smells like Christmas heaven while mixing up. And the final article is so much nicer than anything from a shop.

Grandmabatty Sun 22-Oct-23 13:37:09

I don't know. No one eats them in my family except me. I used to make individual puddings so I might half the quantities and join you next week

Glorianny Sun 22-Oct-23 13:43:59

I always make mine late October / early November. My family have gone from "We're not really bothered" to "when are you making them"
We always make a wish as well.
I think home made ones are so much better. Guinness and brandy in mine. I also use grated carrot and chopped apple which makes them lighter than shop ones.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 22-Oct-23 13:44:40

Ah, Witzend, nothing like little ones knelt up on a stool helping, what fun! I'm going to look for a slow cooker pudding recipe this year - has any one tried this? Any tips at all would be appreciatedsmile

Georgesgran Sun 22-Oct-23 13:48:30

No, never. I don’t like anything with dried fruit, but I always bought DH a few of the individual puddings, as he liked the odd one. They kept well, so I often surprised him with one at Easter or on his (November) birthday.

Grandmabatty Sun 22-Oct-23 13:50:04

keepcalmandcalvachon Mary Berry has a slow cooker recipe. I might try mini puddings in the slow cooker. Thanks for the suggestion!

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 22-Oct-23 13:53:47

Thankyou grandmabatty, will look it outflowers

5beam2 Sun 22-Oct-23 14:31:23

keepcalmandcavachon I started making mine in a slow cooker. Used the same recipe I'd used for years. Turned out lovely. 4 hours on high and 4 hours on low. So much easier, no topping up with water at all, no steamed up kitchen!

lixy Sun 22-Oct-23 14:37:51

Not puddings but all GC will be here next week for a Christmas cake stir-up. Great way to keep the kitchen warm on rainy half-term day.

I like the idea of using a slow-cooker; that sounds almost manageable. My MiL used to make a lot of puddings as gifts each year - she had a boiler that came out of the garage and sat in the garden bubbling away for days on end in November!

Callistemon21 Sun 22-Oct-23 14:40:24

I might make a couple this year, gf ones.

Still eying up the large one I made ?? years ago, still sitting in the cupboard, it must be vintage by now. To eat or not to eat? I wouldn't inflict it on anyone but DH and me.
🤔

At the moment the slow cooker is full of red cabbage simmering away.

Grannybags Sun 22-Oct-23 14:52:04

Not pudding but I always make the cake in half term. Started the tradition when my boys were little so they could ‘help’

Spinnaker Sun 22-Oct-23 14:57:04

Cakes and puds all done, wrapped and being brandy fed every ten days. Still have a pudding from last year too - it smells divine, yum !

Moonwatcher1904 Sun 22-Oct-23 15:11:45

My mum always made a cake and a pudding. I didn't make one for years as my ex didn't like them. When I remarried my DH likes his cake so I made them for years and ended up making a few for relatives. Then slowly as family members passed I stopped and decided to buy. The bakery I used closed this year so I have made my own cake and it's nicely wrapped and ready to be fed this week. However I haven't made a pudding and just buy a supermarket one.

eddiecat78 Sun 22-Oct-23 15:29:33

Just wondering if those of you saying home made are best have actually tried a supermarket one lately! I used to make a tweaked Delia Smith recipe - it was delicious but 3 years ago we tried one from Aldi and decided it was better, a fraction of the cost and much less faff!

Rosalyn69 Sun 22-Oct-23 15:37:27

No. I shall buy one.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 22-Oct-23 15:54:26

5beam2 , yes! Its forgetting to keep an eye on the steaming that I worry about, one year I was stuck with Miss Mattie in 'Cranford' and boiled myself dry ......
Feeling all puddingly now, cant wait to get started!

FannyD Sun 22-Oct-23 17:33:04

Yes - and a cake. I always do them at half term, even though I’ve been retired from teaching for some years. I made my first cake age about 15 as part of O - level cookery, and have made one every year since, with slight tweaks along the way.
I remember the anxiety during the pandemic of not being able to buy all the ingredients!
The other job I always do during the October half term is swapping my clothes over - away go the summer things, out come the winter jumpers. Feeling equal measures of sadness and anticipation, I think!

Jaxjacky Sun 22-Oct-23 18:39:12

Afraid not Witzend none of our family are fussed, MrJ and I rarely eat a pud anyway and we’re at my daughter’s this year. In past years, she and the grandchildren have been here and we usually have a chocolate roulade she’s made, or not in our case.
Best of luck to those all stirring up.

SueDonim Sun 22-Oct-23 18:43:44

Mine were done and dusted a few weeks ago. That was because I wanted to bring some to the US, where I am now, for my son.

I packed them with my dh’s stuff and when we arrived we found his case had been searched by the TSA. I guess circular, foil-wrapped packages must look a bit suspicious on X-rays/scans. 👀

Regarding slow cookers, I just use my usual recipe and steam it for the normal amount of hours. It’s a great way to do it as you can go out without worrying about it boiling dry.

Philippa111 Sun 22-Oct-23 18:46:51

My mother used to make them. I don't. No one likes it and it sits for a year drying out and then gets thrown away. We make trifle and Yule log.
I sometimes buy a tiny one and we have one bite each!

Primrose53 Sun 22-Oct-23 18:51:03

Used to but stopped years ago whenDH won M and S cake and pud in Xmas raffle. Everyone said they were wonderful so I thought “why bother?” Bought theirs fir few years then switched to Aldi or Lidl ones and they are even better. The luxury ones.

B9exchange Sun 22-Oct-23 19:02:53

Christmas cake in the oven right now. Morrisons are selling bags of presoaked (in brandy) fruit, with a recipe on the back, so trying that but had to use gluten free flour and Plant butter as one child has gluten and dairy intolerance.

We have a family Sunday lunch at the end of November on the actual Stir Up Sunday and everyone stirs the puddings then, and I cook them the following day.

Nannytopsy Sun 22-Oct-23 19:06:41

Yes, I shall go down to town on Wednesday and get my fruit. I love anything with dried fruit, so I will make the cake too this week. It’s 10 miles to our town, so it will be an outing!

BlueSapphire Sun 22-Oct-23 19:50:38

Made mine last Sunday, both in the freezer; easy microwave recipe, used it for over 20 years.
Mince pies on the to do list for next weekend; not bothering with a cake, as no-one is fussed.
Sausage rolls to do next month.

Bella23 Sun 22-Oct-23 20:01:47

Got all my ingredients sorted and listed for a pudding and a cake, Mary Berry recipes.
I always think of the 'My naughty little sister story", whilst making them her gran made them on Bonfire night because she was frightened of the fireworks. I used to do the same with one DD when tiny for the same reason.