Gransnet forums

Christmas

Advent calendars

(131 Posts)
karmalady Tue 12-Sep-23 16:50:53

I bought one last year and it was nice, cost a fair bit but was sewing related. Afterwards I appreciated that I only had a few things that I would use, the rest went to the charity shop

I have just ordered a calendar for this year, entirely different

karmalady Tue 12-Sep-23 16:56:03

An advent calendar is something that I can do without but it is nice to have something to open every day in the dark season, especially when living alone. I have had various e mails from companies, wool related, sewing related etc.

I fancied one I have had before, entirely hedonistic. It was £60, I had £10 off with the spin of a wheel and I had free postage. Liquorice from Denmark

My resolve was not very strong this year

Ilovecheese Tue 12-Sep-23 17:02:52

I had the sewing one. I made up a sort of lucky dip for our sewing group with bits and bobs from it. It was fun.
We had a jam one last year. 24 flavours to sample. I know they re extravagant but they are enjoyable.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 12-Sep-23 17:20:45

Ooh yes - I loved my jam advent calendar last year.

Grandmabatty Tue 12-Sep-23 17:22:37

That sounds like a good idea. I shall explore

Joseann Tue 12-Sep-23 17:25:10

Sounds nice.
Mine us a self indulgent beauty calendar, as usual. I agree, it's a treat.

CanadianGran Tue 12-Sep-23 17:33:59

These don't seem as prevalent over here, but last year I bought for myself a 12 days of Christmas puzzle set and it was lovely.

They are a nice idea for gift giving. I like the idea of 12-days since you can give them at Christmas time with the intention that they are opened afterwards.

Spinnaker Tue 12-Sep-23 17:43:40

DH has just this afternoon ordered two wine (red) advent calendars from Laithwaites. We've had them for the past couple of years so I think they qualify as one of our traditions now grin. We're treating DD to one as a change from the usual chocolate one we get for her wine

Visgir1 Tue 12-Sep-23 17:46:21

We had one.. A different little bottle of wine each day, enough for a glass each, on the last day full size bottle of fizz.
Though we didn't drink it every day... Honest 🍷

Urmstongran Tue 12-Sep-23 17:53:19

During Covid times I ordered FOUR (!) Advent calendars from Liberty - such luxury and decadence for our 2 adult daughters and 2 sons in law. Cost me £700! It took me ages to save that amount up but as a one off it was SO appreciated by all of them to enjoy full sizes (not samples) of pampering products.

I’ve not done it since. 🤣

CanadianGran Tue 12-Sep-23 18:02:00

So, are these given as gifts at the beginning of December?

Urmstongran Tue 12-Sep-23 18:05:12

Yes CanadianGran they open one window a day from 1 Dec through to Christmas Eve. 24 gifts.

grannydarkhair Tue 12-Sep-23 18:09:53

I’ve never bothered with one before but thought this sounded/looked good, so have ordered one for myself as a wee treat.
17 wee jars of assorted jams, six different herbal teas and a Christmas Eve surprise.

www.bonnemaman.co.uk/advent

Georgesgran Tue 12-Sep-23 18:21:15

This year’s Jo Malone Advent Calendars cost up to £450!! I’ll have to give it a miss.

Joseann Tue 12-Sep-23 18:21:58

grannydarkhair

I’ve never bothered with one before but thought this sounded/looked good, so have ordered one for myself as a wee treat.
17 wee jars of assorted jams, six different herbal teas and a Christmas Eve surprise.

www.bonnemaman.co.uk/advent

And a rare teas one to go with your bonnemaman jams (on toast) grannydarkhair.

JackyB Tue 12-Sep-23 19:26:12

My family love the mystery story Advent calendars.

karmalady Tue 12-Sep-23 19:31:59

In for a penny and advent calendars can be opened after christmas, during that long holiday. Thank you grannydarkhair, that is a nice one to enjoy on my toast every day. Bought it

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Sep-23 19:55:08

Spinnaker

DH has just this afternoon ordered two wine (red) advent calendars from Laithwaites. We've had them for the past couple of years so I think they qualify as one of our traditions now grin. We're treating DD to one as a change from the usual chocolate one we get for her wine

Ooh, that sounds interesting!

I daren't order a wool one, in fact I didn't even know there was such a thing. Although there are shepherds in the Nativity scene.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Sep-23 19:56:04

Georgesgran

This year’s Jo Malone Advent Calendars cost up to £450!! I’ll have to give it a miss.

😲

I'm ploughing very slowly through a bottle of Jo Malone perfume.

Rosie51 Tue 12-Sep-23 20:35:53

Callistemon21

Spinnaker

I daren't order a wool one, in fact I didn't even know there was such a thing. Although there are shepherds in the Nativity scene.

www.worldofwool.co.uk/products/world-of-wool-advent-calendar-2023

Are you tempted Callistemon? grin

CanadianGran Tue 12-Sep-23 20:41:35

Sorry to sound daft. I understand the concept of an advent calendar, but had always viewed them as small tokens, usually candies or chocolates for children.

With the popularity of some very nice and somewhat luxurious advent calendars, do people give them as a Christmas gift, and then not give anything at Christmas? If you give them as gifts, let me know. It might be an easy way out of the mad rush at Christmas, to give everyone their gifts at the end of November.

Rosie51 Tue 12-Sep-23 21:00:15

I'm not sure how many are given as gifts CanadianGran, and it's not something I've ever done but personally I'd be delighted to be given one and would know that was my Christmas gift and wouldn't expect anything on the day.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Sep-23 21:05:43

Rosie51

Callistemon21

Spinnaker

www.worldofwool.co.uk/products/world-of-wool-advent-calendar-2023

Are you tempted Callistemon? grin

grin
Do I have to knit a Nativity set, Rosie51?

I haven't finished the last one (don't tell Witzend).

Ali23 Tue 12-Sep-23 21:06:04

I think that’s such a lovely idea!
The advent month is the best bit of xmas if you ask me 😊

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Sep-23 21:06:27

£70? 😲