Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas day lunch

(73 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:33:42

With apologies for mentioning the C word. Mr J and I decided we would have lunch out this year. A nearby Inn that we have eaten at many times put its Christmas day lunch menu on their website last month (yes in August). I called to book a table for two and they said they were fully booked! They told me that they have a lot of repeat bookings and are pretty full by the beginning of the year. Call us cynical but our view was that they were looking for bigger tables of 6/8+. This means that 2/3 people are driving and the rest will probably order bottles of wine, whereas with 2 people one is driving and the other will maybe have a couple of glasses of wine. In other words we would not be money spinners. I put my theory to the test by calling a few weeks later asking to book a table for 8/10 people. Yes of course I was told what time would you like to book for? What a shame they could not have been honest in the first place and say that we only take bookings for a minimum of 6 people. Unfortunately it has put us off returning to this Inn for a meal in the future. What do you think, was this discriminatory?

YorkLady Mon 11-Sep-23 13:36:59

Not really. I do think that a lot of Christmas Day meals out are repeat customers.

Aldom Mon 11-Sep-23 14:02:44

Yes, most certainly discriminatory.
A good thing you caught them out.
Did you tell them you had been told they were fully booked?

nanna8 Mon 11-Sep-23 14:10:41

I wouldn’t go there again, either. I think they’ve got a cheek. Find somewhere else lovely, there are plenty of places around. Tell all your friends, that’s what I do when I get bad service!

grannysyb Mon 11-Sep-23 18:56:29

In my area the restaurants and pubs start taking Christmas bookings in early July!

Redhead56 Mon 11-Sep-23 19:18:45

We went to a Chinese restaurant on a regular basis. We had booked for a few nights before Christmas we went early to have a drink first. When we ordered our drinks and we looked at the menu we were asked if we would like to place our order.

We ordered the special banquet which we had eaten on many occasions. The waiter hesitated and told us they were only serving large parties with banquets now. He suggested that we order lots of things off the menu to make up our own banquet. I said we would not as the meal would be twice the price that’s ridiculous. I told him I wasn’t surprised the place had plenty of empty tables and a distinct lack of customers. We paid for our drinks and walked out and never went there again.

This was well before austerity Covid and the now extreme cost of living. Local people couples with families and local businesses kept this and other restaurants going. They are getting greedier now they want larger groups of customers.

SuperTinny Mon 11-Sep-23 19:36:39

Judy 54, that really is appalling! Book for six and then cancel four, just before the big day......

Theexwife Mon 11-Sep-23 20:21:41

It is a business and I expect most of their winter profits to be made in December including Christmas lunch, It makes perfect business sense to me.

I hope you did not actually book that large table with no intention of turning up.

ParlorGames Mon 11-Sep-23 20:29:40

That's disgraceful.......your next course of action........Tripadvisor!

Namsnanny Mon 11-Sep-23 20:44:08

SuperTinny

*Judy 54*, that really is appalling! Book for six and then cancel four, just before the big day......

Often they take your telephone number to ensure you arrive. Or even a card number to ensure you pay.

Marrion Mon 11-Sep-23 20:45:33

My best friend of many years has just been told that she has creatinine level of 22.6 this was confirmed at her recent blood test. She also suffers with swollen ankles and is often tired. Is there anyone who has similar problems, and what might be the treatment if any. I have advised her to contact her GP - rather surprised that she was not contacted by the Surgery. She read her result on system on line. She is 85 years old and recently widdowed, has good support from her family, but so far has not told them of this change to her health.

Namsnanny Mon 11-Sep-23 20:45:45

I don't actually blame them. They have to make hay whilst the sun shines.
It would have been better if they said so up front, I agree

AreWeThereYet Mon 11-Sep-23 20:49:47

I don't blame them for making the most they can out of Christmas, many are still having problems during the year. But they should be upfront in what they are doing - their online advertising could make it clear that they are only accepting large bookings. They are probably hoping to fill any gaps with couples later. I wouldn't give my custom to any business that lied to me.

Georgesgran Mon 11-Sep-23 21:18:55

Marrion you should start a new thread, as this one is all about Christmas Lunch/Dinner.

MercuryQueen Tue 12-Sep-23 07:47:47

I don’t blame them. I feel bad for anyone having to work on the holidays, especially when it’s not essential services. Might as well get what they can from it.

I hope none of the staff are giving up celebrations to work and are being paid triple.

Sara1954 Tue 12-Sep-23 08:03:24

I don’t blame them either, but it’s still a shame if couples want to go out for Christmas lunch.
I’ve given up on the idea, by the time I think about it, everything is well and truly fully booked.

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Sep-23 08:31:45

When you asked to book Christmas Dinner the second time did you specify on Christmas Day?
Just wondering as they tend to serve it for weeks!
Plenty of groups go out fir a Christmas meal with work colleagues for example.

If you were clear about the dates, did you speak to the owner/manager and complain?

netflixfan Tue 12-Sep-23 08:44:45

It’s just business isn’t it? No hard feelings, carry on enjoying your lunches if you like the place.

glammanana Tue 12-Sep-23 08:54:25

Cancellations do happen so maybe that is how the Inn can accommodate your 2nd enquiry one never knows what is around the corner,in 2019 we as usual had booked our Xmas Day family lunch at a local restaurant it was Mr Glamma's treat for the family of 12.Sadly he died unexpectedly on 9th Dec and we had to cancel so please don't assume all restaurants are in business to do this sort of thing give them the benefit of the doubt surely.This year we are back to our family Xmas Day lunch out which has been booked since March.

Aldom Tue 12-Sep-23 08:58:25

I would not return to a place where I had been lied to. Far better to tell the truth. Only taking large bookings. Sorry we can't accommodate you.
It's not such good business when a lie costs the business regular customers. One wonders how many times the same lie was repeated.

DillytheGardener Tue 12-Sep-23 09:03:03

Restaurants have planned seating, so perhaps their allocations for couples have gone already and their larger tables are still up for grabs.

It’s also easier for the restaurant to serve a set menu at a set time with a larger group, to seat a full house they need those larger tables with timed preorders so that the kitchen doesn’t get jammed up.

My dil worked in events and said they would often get prospective diners making similar complaints but they customers didn’t understand the logistics. The weeks leading up to and Christmas itself are a military operation.

dragonfly46 Tue 12-Sep-23 09:20:41

There are restaurants in Spain (Barcelona) which will not take just a couple.

Cambsnan Tue 12-Sep-23 12:20:56

Many venues are hanging on by their fingernails as profits are cut due to rising prices. They need to make what they can to remain viable.

JdotJ Tue 12-Sep-23 12:46:28

I can appreciate everyone's comments but am surprised how dismissive you all are in relation to 2 people wanting to book a meal in favour of the restaurant.
Not everyone has a large family/group of friends to celebrate Xmas with in an eatery.
Why shouldn't the OP be offered the same service as everyone else.
It's discriminatory.
Money talks.

Zoe65 Tue 12-Sep-23 12:54:41

And would you be prepared to pay triple for your dinner as well ?(if you want all staff to be paid triple)