Gransnet forums

Christmas

Decorations.

(83 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 30-Dec-22 16:11:23

DH and I have taken our decorations down today.

It’s so nice being able to draw the curtains without knocking over the candle bridges on the window sill, and just being able to move about more freely round the room.

Like to see them go up, but relieved when they come down.

crazyH Fri 30-Dec-22 16:15:09

I keep mine till the 2nd or 3rd of January.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Dec-22 16:21:21

Ours will come down on Monday/Tuesday.

I shall be sad to see the tree go as it is beautiful, our council collects them and they go for mulch.

AreWeThereYet Fri 30-Dec-22 16:34:20

Ours come down on 6th Jan, or as close as possible. But they didn't go up till the week before Christmas so I'm not fed up with them yet. I noticed today a lot of people have taken down their outdoor lights.

AGAA4 Fri 30-Dec-22 16:37:39

I haven't put many decorations up but they will come down in a few days.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 30-Dec-22 16:39:59

I took the cars down a few days ago, then the decoration yesterday. I'm waiting for DH to put the tree away now.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 30-Dec-22 16:40:30

Errors! Cards and decorations.

Beechnut Fri 30-Dec-22 16:43:43

I put some away today and took most of the cards down. Some decorations stay as they morph into winter decorations and I put them away in March.

Cabbie21 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:11:56

Twelfth Night is my deadline. (6 Jan) . I will start before then, I guess, but I like the bit of cheer given by the decorations during this dull weather.

Shoshana Fri 30-Dec-22 17:22:56

We took the (real) tree down yesterday (and took it to our local park where there's a collection point for composting).

The other decorations will stay until early January, but the candle holders I've dotted around will stay longer, as they're so pretty and not specifically Christmassy.

Kate1949 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:25:55

We took ours down today.

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:26:59

Ours will come down on New Years day. They've been up since the last Sunday in November. I do love them and will miss them when they've gone but it'll be good to get back to normal again.

NotSpaghetti Fri 30-Dec-22 17:40:07

Ours go up late like AreWeThereYet and come down for 12th night. I'm still enjoying them but they aren't in the way of curtains etc.

Alioop Fri 30-Dec-22 19:00:18

I always take mine down the day after Boxing Day, the house looks tidy again. My mum always took them down early when we were kids saying you didn't carry any unwanted baggage from the old year into the new one. My friend said I'll have bad luck, but so will a lot of my neighbours too as I've noticed they've all taken theirs down too.

AskAlice Fri 30-Dec-22 19:07:52

We took ours down this afternoon, as our 2 GC were here overnight last night and they like helping us do it. We have retro ceiling and wall decorations (think 1980s metallic style dangly Chinese takeaway!) inherited from my parents when we cleared their house after my mum died, which the AC and GC love as it is part of their Christmas experience from childhood. It is nice to get back to a more minimal living experience!

Grannyben Fri 30-Dec-22 19:12:11

Mine were all down and packed away on the 28th. I do tend to put them up nice and early though

CanadianGran Fri 30-Dec-22 19:14:35

My DH has taken everything down, cleaned up (lots of fir needles), and put everything back up in the attic. Bless him, I like to put it up but hate to take it down! The lights outside will stay up until the 7th, which is Orthodox Christmas. DH's mum's family was originally from Yugoslavia and some older traditions were held.

In my family growing up we kept decorations up until Epithany, as long as the tree held up.

Georgesgran Fri 30-Dec-22 19:25:43

I didn’t put many up as I was going away and not much of a Christmas fan. I’d bought new stuff, so I now can store it in the garage and to hand. I would have packed it away today, but both DDs and their little ones are coming for tea tomorrow. I’ll take it all down on Sunday and buy daffodils and hyacinths in pots when the shops re-open. A sort of Spring wish,

Mogsmaw Fri 30-Dec-22 19:59:37

I love taking down my trees. The ritual of packing everything away carefully.
I’ve broken my shoulder so I don’t think I’ll be able on the 6th . I’m not sure if we’ll leave the tree up or ( god forbid ) DH packs it away.

lixy Fri 30-Dec-22 20:03:35

The three kings are on their way to the crib - by tradition we move them around the room, getting a little closer each day. When they arrive on 6th Jan it's time to pack the decorations away until Christmas Eve.

Grannybags Fri 30-Dec-22 21:03:29

Everything down and put away yesterday.

I'm still waiting for some cards to arrive though!

Redhead56 Fri 30-Dec-22 21:09:21

Ours are put away on the 6th sad to see them go back in the boxes. Neat and tidy to keep them in good condition.

Ziplok Fri 30-Dec-22 22:53:06

Don’t see much point in going to all the trouble of putting up decorations for Christmas only to whip them down again a few days after. Seems a waste of effort. Jan 6th here.

Zoejory Fri 30-Dec-22 23:31:16

Ours will probably be taken down on Tuesday. I'll miss it but the dogs will be over the moon. They like to sit on the armchair gazing out of the window which they've been unable to do for a month now.

Witzend Sat 31-Dec-22 00:17:09

Nothing comes down here until the 6th - January is dreary enough anyway. Our real tree still looks beautiful - I’ll be sad to see it go.