Gransnet forums

Christmas

Asdas christmas ad

(47 Posts)
Peartree Fri 04-Nov-22 13:05:16

Just watched the Elf christmas ad and thought it was a load of rubbish. It seemed really cheap and I bet it wasnt.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 13:11:22

Oh blimey.
I can't stand the Christmas ads.

It'll be stupid perfume ones next.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 13:15:35

I must remember to start moaning about christmas by mid summer next year. smile

yggdrasil Fri 04-Nov-22 14:51:56

What already!

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Nov-22 14:55:49

MissAdventure

Oh blimey.
I can't stand the Christmas ads.

It'll be stupid perfume ones next.

Daisy, Daisy, Daisy. Makes me want to commit a murder!

ExDancer Fri 04-Nov-22 14:57:50

I'm with you Icanhandthemback.

Juliet27 Fri 04-Nov-22 15:01:27

And me…I have to block my ears for that Daisy one!!

Joseanne Fri 04-Nov-22 15:23:33

Oh dear, already?
I'm not going to watch the John Lewis one on principle because they rejected me for their new card. All my presents will come from M & S!

Joseanne Fri 04-Nov-22 15:30:02

That ASDA elf one is tacky.

Peartree Fri 04-Nov-22 16:11:12

Yea Daisy Daisy Daisy has just been on it is so annoying. Aftershave and whisky ads soon. Like Aldi's ones though with Keven the carrot always clever but not on yet.

henetha Fri 04-Nov-22 18:29:02

The Daisy Daisy Daisy ad makes me want to vomit..

Joseanne Fri 04-Nov-22 18:42:20

henetha

It sure is dire, in a yucky sort of way.

Sassanach512 Fri 04-Nov-22 18:59:06

It's quite depressing to see these ads with tables groaning with Xmas food. I expect many families will be worrying about how they're going to get through Xmas this year when everything has rocketed in cost, yet still we'll get these ads for the next six weeks persuading us to buy their overpriced, calorie-loaded fayre

Zoejory Fri 04-Nov-22 19:10:25

henetha

That advert makes me feel intense anger. I literally scream when it comes on. And the I'm Perfect, perfect, perfect one isn't much better.

As for the Christmas adverts, seen a few today, none of them filled me with anything but boredom. M&S food has just come on with Dawn French reprising her fairy role. Awful.

John Lewis has gone to the dogs these last few years. They've had so much to live up to from the halcyon days of the snowmen and have failed miserably each year.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 19:26:59

I think its frankly obscene to turn these ads into major productions.

I'm not a fan of the idea that everybody needs to walk on eggshells around those who "have not" at all, but these leave a sour taste at the sheer excess.

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Nov-22 20:30:37

Who wants to shoot the Grouse by the end of the season? If I had Kevin, I'd boil him!

JaneJudge Fri 04-Nov-22 20:34:31

I liked it but I love Elf smile

JaneJudge, tacky as a Sunday school table on pasta craft day #glitterface

vegansrock Fri 04-Nov-22 20:38:21

I quite liked the Lidl teddy one.

M0nica Fri 04-Nov-22 21:31:42

Just seen the Asda and Lidl adverts, both pretty dire, messy and untidy with no clear message, at least not one that came across.

Ziplok Fri 04-Nov-22 21:33:26

I’ve just seen the Asda advert and like it - it’s quite funny, and at least it doesn’t show tables groaning with far more food than average family would eat for Xmas day lunch.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Nov-22 23:37:21

Hate them too and I think the Asda one and the Lldl one are both ridiculously horrible (Thankfully only ones I ve seen so far) I can’t bare to think we ve got two more months of them p oh my, oh my, oh my head in hands 😵‍💫😳🤮

Whiff Sat 05-Nov-22 06:20:12

When I was younger you always knew it was near Christmas when the Famous Grouse and the Sherry adverts came on . The coke cola lorry advert always appeared in December. Hate all the perfume and jewellery ads. The toy adverts are the worst. So many horrible things that will only be played with once .

Cut right back on who I buy presents for and how much. Under strict instructions from my daughter only some beer and chocolate for my son in law and wine and chocolate for her. Not to spend much on my grandson's. Which I have done. Got things on the cheap.

It harks back to Christmas of my childhood. Dad's sock at the bottom of the bed . Satsuma and bar of chocolate in it. 2 presents each for my brother and me. And always some books. And a Christmas jumper mom had knitted. I 64. And wasn't brought up with money. Made our own decorations which lasted for years. Food was brought mainly on Christmas Eve as it was cheaper. Remember my mom and her sisters having Snowballs as their Christmas drink plus sherry and the men drop of whiskey and beer .

Anyone remember Christmas trees that looked like green toilet brushes?

Beechnut Sat 05-Nov-22 07:10:45

I don’t Whiff. Dad always took us for a walk in the wood a few weeks before Christmas and then he would disappear for a while on Christmas Eve! 🤣

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 07:17:31

When our children were small we had a Christmas when DH was in daily expectation of being made redundant, so Christmas was done on a budget. I was in a charity shop when someone walked im with a tatty coach built pram. I immediately bought it and got an extra discount for the speedy sale, DH renovated it and MiL and I made bedding and knitted a pram suit for DD's favourite doll. I got a partially used chemistry set for DS, again DH made a box laboratory out of offcuts and we bought a second hand 'household chemistry book' using household chemicals like baking powder.

Both children used to describe it as their best Christmas ever.

Things are not quite as tight this year, but we have all agreed, to spend less and there is a lot of making and doing going on in the various family households plus raiding of Charity shops.

Joseanne Sat 05-Nov-22 08:00:04

Ziplok

I’ve just seen the Asda advert and like it - it’s quite funny, and at least it doesn’t show tables groaning with far more food than average family would eat for Xmas day lunch.

But it does show indulgence and excess in its own way. The Elf was stuffing his face with pigs in blankets!