Gransnet forums

Chat

Help! I’m turning into my mother (😂😂)

(68 Posts)
Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 17:02:50

Anyone else turning, or already turned, into their mothers?

I some times look into the mirror and see her looking back (very scary) but it’s when I use her many used expressions or tones that I know I’m turning into her!

She was a very plain speaking, to the point lady and one of her favoured expressions was “I cannot be doing with…..” I use this a lot now. Her second favourite was “you just have to get on with it” and “lots of people are much worse of than us”

She was very kind hearted, and generous and loving but “she didn’t suffer fools gladly”

I miss her flowers

Oreo Tue 19-Mar-24 17:14:46

We all become our Mothers in the end 😄

Cabbie21 Tue 19-Mar-24 17:20:39

Yes, I am, but I can’t see my daughter ever being like me!

DamaskRose Tue 19-Mar-24 17:26:02

Yes, yes, yes! When I look in the mirror after my shower when I’ve washed my hair. And quite often when open my mouth my mother speaks! Phrases I haven’t heard for decades!

grannypiper Tue 19-Mar-24 17:37:05

My Daughter says every time she complains about her typical teen daughter she hears me coming out of her mouth !

eddiecat78 Tue 19-Mar-24 17:44:56

Recently I have realised that my right hand is exactly like my mother's - including the slight bend in the thumb. Prior to this if anyone had asked me to describe her hands I wouldn't have been able to - but I glanced at mine one day and the similarity hit me.

M0nica Tue 19-Mar-24 17:48:58

No, I am not becoming my mother, but I am very aware of the similarities between me and DD.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Mar-24 18:06:41

No I m much more like my Dad on fb they had one of these daft things ‘what would you look like as a man’ and my kids said blimey thought that was grandad (I will add he was very good looking and never looked his age🙃)

MissInterpreted Tue 19-Mar-24 18:32:30

Oh hell no! The moment I thought that was the case would be the moment I checked out of here...

MissAdventure Tue 19-Mar-24 18:39:54

Yes, I'm getting like my mum, and my daughter used to worry she was getting like me.

jusnoneed Tue 19-Mar-24 18:48:49

Yes, I find myself thinking that my Mum and my Nan would of done/said similar things as myself. None of us suffer fools, and all speak/spoke our minds.

twiglet77 Tue 19-Mar-24 19:01:23

Not my mother, but sometimes I glance in the mirror and I’m shocked to see my sister reflected. She’s 10 years older and we are poles apart in every way, I find it quite unsettling.

sodapop Tue 19-Mar-24 19:10:23

My daughter always said she would not say the things to her children that I said to her. Then...... " I heard your words coming out of my mouth Mother" grin

Marydoll Tue 19-Mar-24 19:11:39

I looked at my granddaughter the other day and saw my mother!

Georgesgran Tue 19-Mar-24 19:12:56

I think I look like my late DM in some ways and have some of her mannerisms, but DD2 is a younger version of her face wise - quite stunning! However, when we’re out people say she and I look very alike.

zakouma66 Tue 19-Mar-24 19:37:18

Marydoll, that must be odd and comforting in equal measure.

V3ra Tue 19-Mar-24 19:39:45

sodapop

My daughter always said she would not say the things to her children that I said to her. Then...... " I heard your words coming out of my mouth Mother" grin

My daughter has said exactly the same! 😂

Esmay Tue 19-Mar-24 21:24:47

I have some of my mum's expressions and a lot of my grandmother's , too .
I don't really look like either of them .
I certainly am becoming less tolerant .
I hope that I don't turn into a grouch !

Marydoll Tue 19-Mar-24 21:55:46

zakouma66

Marydoll, that must be odd and comforting in equal measure.

My son said exactly the same thing. It was uncanny, especially as he and my mother had a very special bond and my granddaughter was named after her. 😢

Blossoming Tue 19-Mar-24 22:18:36

I have always looked like my mother. People have commented as long as I can remember, “Ooh, isn’t she like her mother!”

My mother was lovely, kind and generous. I am quite happy to be like her and now I’m getting older I find it comforting to see her looking back at me from the mirror each morning.

HeavenLeigh Wed 20-Mar-24 15:25:02

Same here Blossoming ❤️👊

NanKate Thu 21-Mar-24 15:32:17

I looked in the mirror recently and definitely saw my maternal grandmother, especially the sunken cheeks 😳

Juniper1 Thu 21-Mar-24 15:36:13

“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.”
Oscar Wilde

annifrance Thu 21-Mar-24 15:38:01

My hands are just like my mother's. Especially if I'm wearing one of her rings or using her seeing machine. Wrinkles, veins and freckles included! It makes me feel she's always with me.

When I look in the mirror I see my daughter. I said this to her the other day. I think she was horrified!

My mother, myself and my daughter all pout when looking in the mirror to see new clothes.

NannaFirework Thu 21-Mar-24 15:45:34

❤️💔
Ahh lovely thread…recently lost my dear Mum.
Hoping to turn into her XXX