Gransnet forums

Chat

Gift ideas

(30 Posts)
GrannyG57 Thu 14-Mar-24 20:47:27

Need some inspiration on birthday gift ideas for 5year old granddaughter. We will be taking her out for the day but would like to get her something to open. Any toy suggestions would be helpfulz

kittylester Thu 14-Mar-24 21:15:31

We bought our 5 year old grandson a spirograph in a tin. I think it was about £10 from Waterstones. He loves it, as do his siblings and cousins.

Wicked Uncle is a brilliant site for children's toys too.

RosiesMaw Thu 14-Mar-24 21:21:21

My GS is 5 at the weekend, guided by mummy I have got him these .
He copes quite happily with 7+ Lego and loves finding out how things work

RosiesMaw Thu 14-Mar-24 21:22:16

Or look at Amazon books - Amelia Fang stories are popular

Tizliz Thu 14-Mar-24 21:56:02

Saw this on Dragon’s den

www.amazon.co.uk/stores/TheNaturalPlayMakeupCo/page/127A2970-FD2F-477C-B995-F5A4CBF4268B?linkCode=sl2&linkId=9571ebe3901a9bb2add211d4733e05c8&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&language=en_GB&tag=gransnetforum-21

Joseann Thu 14-Mar-24 22:01:07

Tizliz

Saw this on Dragon’s den

]]

I thought that product will be very popular.

flappergirl Thu 14-Mar-24 22:02:54

Oh kittylester, I had a spirograph as a child. It was one of the best presents I ever received. You've brought back some memories.

Redhead56 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:14:14

My GC kindly write a list and often accompany me to the shop.

kittylester Thu 14-Mar-24 22:18:00

flappergirl

Oh kittylester, I had a spirograph as a child. It was one of the best presents I ever received. You've brought back some memories.

DD1 plays with it when she comes round. She's only 49!!

We bought it as a stocking filler but kept it in our craft drawer and it is always the first thing they get out.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 14-Mar-24 22:19:11

Make up at 5 Tizliz? I must be very behind the times.

RosiesMaw Thu 14-Mar-24 22:20:49

Tizliz

Saw this on Dragon’s den

]]

{sigh} I am horrified at the idea of a 5 year old being given “play make up”
Whatever happened to reducing gender stereotyping for children?
I have three D’s and am happy that “pink everything” /Barbie/make up etc never ever featured in their gifts or toys!
No doubt I will be shouted down, but gender-specific toys are not necessary at 5.
Girls can enjoy Chemistry Sets and Lego and Construction toys too you know.

charley68 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:30:20

I agree about 'play make up' and how dreadful the thought of it is.
My GD is 6 next week, and I am seriously thinking about gift ideas too! I am thinking something craft related, art/drawing etc.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Mar-24 22:33:09

flappergirl

Me too. 🙂

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 14-Mar-24 22:44:51

A child's flower garden kit?

Theexwife Thu 14-Mar-24 23:34:37

Something that is relevant to the outing you are going on, crafts, books or toy that incorporates something you have seen that day.

Tricia2 Fri 15-Mar-24 03:34:45

How about a nice set of marker pens and a couple pads of paper? Or paints. Girls that age love stuffed animals. Books are always a good idea.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-24 06:34:31

Oh no no no to ‘make up’ for kids, horrendous idea, just the thought of encouraging a 5 year old they need make up makes me cringe (anyway I think unicorns are out now the amount we get in the charity shop) and I must say stuffed animals would be out for me we get copious amounts a lot new with labels still on
I always (still now) connect with the mum and ask for ideas of what they want and usually get plenty of ideas

Gingerrice Fri 15-Mar-24 07:06:57

Something called Play Foam ( or Foam Clay) - can get it from Hobbycraft etc and I think I've also seen it in The Works, and it's amazing stuff, so much fun to use and less messy than playdoh etc. My grandchildren love it and I do too if I'm honest!! Comes in lots of pack sizes/ kits etc to suit your budget.

Witzend Fri 15-Mar-24 07:12:11

Have a look at the Wicked Uncle website. Masses of suggestions by boy/girl age - plenty of the things are featured on both, though (before anyone cries ‘sexism’.

I’ve used them several times and delivery is very quick.

You don’t say how much you want to spend but one thing that was very successful for Gdd1 at that age was a V-tech camera. Not cheap,,though.

Joseann Fri 15-Mar-24 07:21:21

It certainly wouldn't be my choice to buy make up for a present, BUT the product on Dragons' Den was very interesting. Firstly, it is called The Natural Play Make-up Company, with the emphasis on natural and play. Its founder was keen to stress the absence of any harsh chemicals, so that the make-up doesn't damage young skins. That's the free from and allergy issues addressed. Also, the dreaded packaging, including the pots , which Deborah Meaden is so fussy about, is made from recycled craftpaper. That's the issues about the environment and sustainability dealt with.
As for the shock, horror feelings about children and make-up, the idea of this particular product was that children could explore their identity, a bit like an extension of going to the dressing-up box. (Boys were included too). It wasn't designed to be worn in the street every day, but more for parties and creative play at home.

Joseann Fri 15-Mar-24 07:23:27

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but important to say what Tizliz's suggestion was actually about.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-24 07:45:16

But why encourage very young children that make up is a necessity Joseann surely that’s playing into all the need for older teens/ young adults that enhancing their natural god given looks is the only way forward to be beautiful and popular
I m impressed by all the info on, ‘non plastic’, environmental friendly non toxic etc etc
BUT
the message is still I will need to wear make up to be beautiful

By all means make this toy for a theatrical approach make up to be a dragon/ tiger/cat etc BUT not for a beauty theme

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-24 07:46:17

I guess I ve continued the derailment but it’s a very important discussion

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 15-Mar-24 09:13:37

It is, BlueBelle. Why does any child need to ‘explore their identity’ with makeup? I don’t care how good its green credentials are, I think it’s totally inappropriate.

Tizliz Fri 15-Mar-24 09:24:55

I quite agree that 5 years is too young but it is obviously very popular and better than playing with Mum's makeup