Gransnet forums

Chat

Flower gifts.

(82 Posts)
annsixty Wed 13-Mar-24 12:03:11

I am not going to ask if I am unreasonable because I am but hopefully in a good way.
My lovely GD who lives with me bought me a beautiful bouquet from M&S on Mothering Sunday.
It really is lovely but… it is blue delphiniums cream roses, purple stocks and some I don’t recognise.
My colour scheme is cream, dark red , orange shades, autumnal mainly.
Do you think about your recipients colour scheme when you send flowers?
I do if I know it.
I love what my GD did but just had that thought.

Shelflife Wed 13-Mar-24 12:06:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shelflife Wed 13-Mar-24 12:07:18

Apologies, incorrect thread!

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-24 12:07:25

I try to, but do not always know, or cannot remember. But this time of year I tend to send bouquets of spring flowers, which are predominantly yellow, but daffodils and their cousins look good no matter what colour a room is decorated.

DS (bless him) sent me a bouquet of blue and pink flowers, which look great against a cream wall, but perhaps do not match the orange and terra cottas in other parts of the room.

JamesandJon33 Wed 13-Mar-24 12:09:32

I very rarely send flowers.
I hate those big ,garish, usually dyed blooms, so usually stick to big bunches of narcissi from the Iles of Scilly , or one bunch of chrysanthemum etc. I would, if I knew try to enhance someone’s chosen colour scheme, but do try to use flowers appropriate to the season.

crazyH Wed 13-Mar-24 12:13:19

I received a card and bouquet from Moonpig (son and family). They were all wilted. I sent a photo of the flowers to my d.i.l. as I usually do. I was honest and she could see for herself. She has decided to complain to Moonpig.
To answer your question, flowers are flowers. I love them and don’t worry about the colour scheme.
You have a lovely GD

Theexwife Wed 13-Mar-24 12:19:19

I tend to think of the recipients style and colour scheme, however I so rarely receive flowers that I wouldn’t be bothered about the colour or style.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 12:20:14

Yes, I do think about the recipient’s colour scheme and the flowers I receive fit in with mine, but it’s far more neutral than yours. It’s such a joy to receive flowers that I wouldn’t care at all if they were the most garish imaginable - someone has thought to send me a gift and spent money on me. I do think you’re being unreasonable and not in a good way.

Shinamae Wed 13-Mar-24 12:22:01

crazyH

I received a card and bouquet from Moonpig (son and family). They were all wilted. I sent a photo of the flowers to my d.i.l. as I usually do. I was honest and she could see for herself. She has decided to complain to Moonpig.
To answer your question, flowers are flowers. I love them and don’t worry about the colour scheme.
You have a lovely GD

I had the same problem with Moonpig about three years ago, and I did ring my daughter and say the flowers were not worth whatever she paid for them and she needs to complain so she did and got her money back
I think these companies rely on the fact that we don’t really want to complain about a gift from our loved ones, and that’s how they get away with so much
And it would not even enter my head to think about my colour scheme. I would just be delighted to get some flowers. 😁

J52 Wed 13-Mar-24 12:38:47

Yes I do think about the recipient’s likes and dislikes. Some people don’t like the fragrance of some types of flower.
I usually send the delicate shades that would tone with most things.

annsixty Wed 13-Mar-24 12:39:01

My D sent me gifts from Moonpig as I wouldn’t be seeing her but that was Lindt chocolates and Pinot Grigio.
Very welcome.

Namsnanny Wed 13-Mar-24 12:39:45

Last years MD flowers. This year zilch🤣🤣.
Good job I took a photo.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 13-Mar-24 12:54:30

I expect to be criticised, but my heart sinks when either flowers are delivered or given to me. I have to stop and find vases, I don't like a jumble of colours and I don't like seeing or worse smelling them die. I am so sad when they are really not good enough for the money which I know has been spent.

But I do love a potted plant or flowering bulbs. Daffodils in pots etc. Daffodils go with my colour schemes. Big bouquets often don't with too many assorted flowers and often loads of extra cheap greenery .

GrannyGravy13 Wed 13-Mar-24 13:32:50

I love cut flowers and our AC are aware of my favourite flowers and colours and usually the bouquets I receive are beautiful.

The only time I have been disappointed was with a Moonpig bunch (couldn’t call them a bouquet) whilst DS was abroad, it was a shame as they were not cheap.

Rosie51 Wed 13-Mar-24 13:42:21

I love flowers and happily display any and all colour combinations. I've never given a thought to my colour scheme (do I even have one?) and when choosing them for somebody else just try to select flowers I know or hope they'll like. I don't think I register people's colour schemes to be honest.

LOUISA1523 Wed 13-Mar-24 14:04:37

No I don't think about a person's decor...if I like them...I send them ... likewise.. I never have considered whether flowers go with my decor...alway just super grateful to get them

Esmay Wed 13-Mar-24 14:19:50

If I send flowers - I do think about the recipient's colour scheme .
This is probably because I garden , arrange flowers regularly and paint and draw .
But having said that I have friends , who don't and they like a colour scheme to go with their decor .
Yesterday , a friend had decorated her business with white and green . They looked dramatic against her navy blue colour scheme .
White and green are colours that I love and prefer .
Your colour scheme is autumnal and perhaps not that easy to compliment this time of the year .
I'd be thinking of chrysanthemums , dahlias and rudbeckia maybe physalis .
I just did my church decorations in pink and I've redone them because they look totally wrong with the stained glass windows . I know that the other flower arrangers will want pink and mauve so I have to be sensitive to their preferences .

Just be happy and grateful for the flowers .
It's was a lovely thought !

Grandmadinosaur Wed 13-Mar-24 14:26:14

I don’t think of the persons decor but I do know the colours and varieties of flowers the recipients have a preference for.

I received flowers from DS on MD. We all use a local florist so I know how much they charge. Usually they are good value for money but being MD they go up in price and I don’t feel they were worth the money. I am grateful for them but I’m just as happy with a £1 bunch of daffodils.

CanadianGran Wed 13-Mar-24 18:45:08

I don't take decor into consideration, but I do know that my SIL prefers white flowers, so I make sure to mention it when I order flowers for her. Others will get a mod-podge of whatever!

When I used to send flowers to my Mum, I always would do a mixed bouquet but would ask for one pink rose.

I love flowers, and think they are joyful no matter the colour. I personally don't like the smell of lillies, but I have noticed they are not as bad the last few years. They may have a new variety they are using.

grannyactivist Wed 13-Mar-24 19:49:42

I often choose white or cream arrangements for others. I had two bouquets this year - both a mix of flowers. My own preference is for a single variety, but I just love receiving flowers so don’t really care. One son always buys me something different to chocs and flowers; this year it was a bottle of chocolate Baileys! My daughter in NZ sent me Lindt chocolates via Moonpig. I’m delighted they care enough to bother, but the best gift is always a visit - and usually at least two out of my four oblige. 😄

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Mar-24 20:08:09

Oh no, something else to consider!
No I don’t, neither do I expect anyone who buys me flowers to either, for me, my house is lived in, not coordinated to the nth degree.
I’d be highly surprised if any of my friends or family thought about it either, good grief, I’m always very grateful for flowers, especially the random offerings from our grandchildren.

flappergirl Wed 13-Mar-24 20:30:22

Jaxjacky

Oh no, something else to consider!
No I don’t, neither do I expect anyone who buys me flowers to either, for me, my house is lived in, not coordinated to the nth degree.
I’d be highly surprised if any of my friends or family thought about it either, good grief, I’m always very grateful for flowers, especially the random offerings from our grandchildren.

My thoughts exactly. Colour coordinated flowers would not occur to me, either as a sender or recipient.

I would consider the personality of the recipient and the type of occasion but otherwise I must very unstylish.

Taichinan Thu 14-Mar-24 07:51:34

I love colour - and lots of it! And honestly I don't think flowers do anything other than enhance their surroundings. Yesterday I plonked a couple of bright wind-flattened daffs in the middle of a vase full of pinks, purples and whites and they lit it up! Nature isn't fussy either - think a field of wild flowers.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Mar-24 08:39:16

I had flowers for mother's day too. Itook the bouquet apart and have vases in different places. By doing that you can always find somewhere to put any colour to both brighten and complement your decor!
My flowes are in a pinkish/grey kitchen, an aubergine and teal sitting room, a dark blue, gold and grey cloakroom and a stone and wood-shades dining room. They all fit nicely!

I love flowers and don't understand it when people just plonk the whole lot in a vase (as my mother-in-law does).

Spread the joy!!

I also had a stunning spray of chocolate orchids and three lots of daffs. Nearly all the daffs are dead... most died in-bud. Never had this before - what's going on thete I wonder?

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Mar-24 08:42:33

Do I think of people's decor when sending? Mmmn.. not sure I do. But I do choose to send British flowers and would always send blooms I know the recipient likes... (wouldn't send hyacinth family blooms to a dear friend who says they have connotations of death to her).