Gransnet forums

Chat

Very unusual product warnings!

(40 Posts)
Fair2good Sat 09-Mar-24 22:56:33

I know nowadays a lot of product warnings state the obvious, so you’re likely to find a jar of peanut butter bearing a label saying it may contain peanuts but this one I’ve just seen takes the biscuit !
I wanted to buy a few more Agatha Christie paperbacks and looked online. There are plenty available but for some reason have this warning ! Does reading one put you at greater risk of getting fried, or is the content even more electrifying than expected ?

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-24 13:13:18

the mind boggles.

Ziplok Sun 10-Mar-24 13:36:32

That made me smile* Fair2Good*.
The mind does indeed boggle 😂.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 10-Mar-24 16:35:06

Obviously there must have been cases of people insisting on reading this book while perched at the top of metal ladders while holding fishing rods too close to power lines, and we all know that you're not meant to hold a long fishing rod too close to a power line.

Can't see the problem, actually. If one person is persuaded not to do that, surely that is a good thing and the warning is justified. grin

JaneJudge Sun 10-Mar-24 16:36:59

well it has at least made me laugh! grin

TheMostSuprisingGran Sun 10-Mar-24 21:04:39

I once saw some fridge magnets in Sainsburys with the warning "Do not inhale"!

Also, on Amazon a small toy hairdryer, aimed at age 18 months + got given a bad review because it didn't dry hair!

Aveline Sun 10-Mar-24 21:38:07

The plastic bag my M&S swimsuit came in had large lettering saying 'This is not a toy '. Whoever thought plastic bags were toys?

FoghornLeghorn Sun 10-Mar-24 22:52:17

Our hire car in the US had stickers on the side mirrors stating “objects seen in this mirror are behind you”.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-24 22:57:21

I saw on a fish, that was laid out on a plastic tray, with its mouth and eyes wide open: "This fish is gutted".
It looked it.

Eddieslass Tue 12-Mar-24 11:40:29

Some years ago I bought a bra from M&S and printed on the back of the packaging it said “We recommend that you do not wear for more than eight hours at a time”

Ali08 Tue 12-Mar-24 11:49:43

😂😂 in case you wanted to sit below a powerline, like a pylon or something. You've got to be careful where you sit these days, you know!
I think it's a general warning for whichever factory they go to for printing and wotnot, and it just goes on everything rather than waste time trying to put it on some but not on others.
I once bought a child's watering can for my indoor plants and we all had a great laugh at 'do not let children play with this'!

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Mar-24 11:50:23

😂😂😂

Ali08 Tue 12-Mar-24 11:51:17

Eddieslass

Some years ago I bought a bra from M&S and printed on the back of the packaging it said “We recommend that you do not wear for more than eight hours at a time”

That is a thing!
To give your ladies a rest, stop your shoulders sagging and also, if underwired, a possible cancer warning as they could poke in at awkward places and 'potentially' be a cause of cancer!

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-Mar-24 11:59:06

I bought a high chair years ago to use in my house when my grandchildren were small. The accompanying instruction leaflet demonstrating the folding mechanism said do not fold this chair with child inside 🤣

Mollygo Tue 12-Mar-24 12:03:01

Grannynannywanny

I bought a high chair years ago to use in my house when my grandchildren were small. The accompanying instruction leaflet demonstrating the folding mechanism said do not fold this chair with child inside 🤣

Some pushchairs still carry that warning.

Whiff Tue 12-Mar-24 12:06:40

Ali08 I hope that was a funny comment not a fact you believe.

I have been wearing M&S underwired bras since they made them . And haven't had any problems with wearing them for longer than 8 hours or any cancer scares. I will be 66 next month.

My mom never wore underwired bras but Playtex ( know that's not spelt correctly but can't remember how its spelt ) all her life had her first mastectomy when she was 73 and second at 86. She lived until she was 90.

Calendargirl Tue 12-Mar-24 12:10:34

do not fold this chair with child inside

(Even if on some occasions you feel like doing so).

😂

Ali08 Tue 12-Mar-24 12:13:29

Aveline,
did you never try to make your own kite out of plastic bags and string in your childhood? Or find a use for them in crafts? Lol

Freya5 Tue 12-Mar-24 12:15:29

Oh dear, where has commonsense gone, out the window I think.

grandMattie Tue 12-Mar-24 12:28:07

🤣🤣🤣

Lizzie44 Tue 12-Mar-24 12:36:57

I've always been amused by the instruction on some medicines - "Keep away from children".

NannyInTheKitchen Tue 12-Mar-24 12:44:22

A packet of anti-bac cleaning wipes I purchased recently had this warning on the back ' It is illegal to use this product for anything other than the use stated on the packet' It did occur to me it might mean sniffing but they actually don't have a smell. Any ideas?

Notthecatsmother Tue 12-Mar-24 12:56:07

I had a heat gun meant for paint stripping. It had a warning not to be used as a hair dryer!

MissAdventure Tue 12-Mar-24 12:57:18

grin

Daddima Tue 12-Mar-24 13:10:19

Lizzie44

I've always been amused by the instruction on some medicines - "Keep away from children".

Me too. A shame, because I am quite fond of my grandchildren.

Co-op Baking Potatoes say ‘ Ideal for Baking’, and then there’s this one