Gransnet forums

Chat

Passed away.

(251 Posts)
annsixty Fri 08-Mar-24 09:57:59

Once more today I have been told someone has passed away.
It seems nobody dies now.
Does it seem easier to say?
Don’t people like the word died?
It is used more and more.
Am I the only one who would prefer to hear that someone has died?
I realise I may be in a minority here.

Aveline Fri 08-Mar-24 10:00:31

I agree annsixty. It has 'pass the parcel' overtones for me.

Kate1949 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:01:40

We say died.

kittylester Fri 08-Mar-24 10:02:15

I agree too, Ann. Passed is even worse. My Granny said my Grandpa 'passed over'.

Cossy Fri 08-Mar-24 10:02:56

I think sometimes people shy away from using the word “died” and use passed or passed away because they feels it’s more respectful somehow! It doesn’t prevent the deed from not have happened. I don’t mind either way really.

Aveline Fri 08-Mar-24 10:04:40

'Promoted to Glory' as the Salvation army say is rather magnificent!

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-24 10:06:11

I have told my children I will haunt them from wherever I go to after dying, if they ever describe as anything else but dying, being dead, or associated words.

If they want to say that I hve 'kicked the bucket' or somesuch, I will withhold judgement.

My parents and sister, and many relations before that, have died. They are dead.

Grannybags Fri 08-Mar-24 10:06:51

I’ve told my children I’m going to die not pass away!

Grannybags Fri 08-Mar-24 10:07:53

X posts MOnica!

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 10:08:13

I respect choices made

nanna8 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:11:27

Passed just means you have passed from this life. Can’t see the problem, it’s just factual. If people don’t like that, fair enough, but don’t judge others.

annsixty Fri 08-Mar-24 10:21:56

Sorry to seem to be judging, I really wasn’t meaning to, I just don’t like that phrase.
I was quite surprised when a close neighbour and friend rang me last year to say that her H who I knew and liked very much had passed away suddenly.
It seemed to make it less real somehow and took me several second to take in what she had said.
To me people die.

OldFrill Fri 08-Mar-24 10:23:45

Each to their own. My best friend (now dead) "lost" many friends within months, each scored through with DEAD written beside their details in his address book. It made for very sombre reading when he died and l had to notify his few remaining living friends.

Abitbarmy Fri 08-Mar-24 10:26:42

Completely agree with Monica. It drives me nuts that folks seem unable to say someone has died.

choughdancer Fri 08-Mar-24 10:31:11

My mum died recently and the undertaker had put 'passed away' in the funeral notice. Fortunately we could edit it before it went out so I was able to change it.

I dislike the expression; even more 'passed over' or 'passed', and most of all if it's 'over the rainbow bridge'! But I wouldn't criticise anyone for using whatever expression comforts them.

dragonfly46 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:32:50

I agree Anne somehow passing seems less final although the meaning is the same.

Astitchintime Fri 08-Mar-24 10:46:03

We had to use the term 'died' when I was working, regardless of the circumstances.

foxie48 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:52:02

I dislike the expression but what concerns me more is that so many people seem unable to acknowledge the fact that they will eventually die. They don't make a will, don't talk to their family about their wishes should they have a major life limiting illness or accident and don't discuss their wishes with everyone who needs to know with regard to their funeral. My late MIL discussed everything with us, especially that she didn't want a religious funeral but she didn't tell my SIL which made things difficult when they needn't have been.

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 10:54:04

I don’t understand why someone choosing to say’ passed’ would drive anyone nuts .

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 10:54:59

Passed just means you have passed from this life. Can’t see the problem, it’s just factual. If people don’t like that, fair enough, but don’t judge others
passing means in transit no one knows if we are passing to anything else or just shrivelling up and disappearing Nana8
When my times up I will have died no rainbow bridges or falling asleep for me thanks I will have died

Cherrytree59 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:55:30

We say passed away.
As most people understand it's meaning, what does it matter?

The person saying it may just have been bereaved, so surely it's up to them how they inform others.

We all know it means dead!!

Kate1949 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:56:45

We are human Annie. That's life. In the scheme of things it doesn't matter but we are allowed to say that certain things irritate us.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 10:57:18

Even worse is ‘ lost’
Yesterday I lost a good friend ….. what! well look a bit harder to find her

Theexwife Fri 08-Mar-24 11:00:20

Those that are grieving can say whatever they feel comfortable with.

If the first thought when hearing that news is that the terminology is wrong then there is something wrong with the thought process .

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-24 11:00:42

People are free to use whatever is comfortable for them.

If it offends, well, tough tits!