Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons is a dog-free pub

(263 Posts)
infoman Sat 20-Jan-24 07:18:54

didn't know that till we made a visit to one last week.
With no football match's to be shown either,
it must be a bundle of fun to visit their pubs.

Sara1954 Sat 20-Jan-24 07:25:46

We have stopped going to our local pub now that Dogs are allowed in the restaurant, maybe have to give weatherspoons a go, plus no football, sounds alright to me!

Coronation Sat 20-Jan-24 07:39:07

Weatherspoons is always busy here. Friendly and quick service, the conversations and people talking create the buzz.

Gwyllt Sat 20-Jan-24 07:49:15

Went out for pub meal recently I think it might have been Robinson
They actually had a dogs menu and dog cocktails were also available
I am a dog owner but don’t really want to teach him that he gets fed at the table when I go out
It is a holiday area and can appreciate the dog has to go with some folk
However I consider a well behaved dog under the table preferable to unruly kids running around while I am eating

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-24 07:55:24

Hooray for them I m totally fed up with having dogs sitting near me in restaurants and cafes they need to be outside with cats and seagulls Animal hair, dribble, should be nowhere need food and for everyone who comes on and says my little dog just sits quietly under the table I can show you one that is eating of the cafe plates, shaking itself, or snapping at other dogs

I rarely go to Wetherspoons BUT it’s sounding much more attractive It’s always full here

Dogs have become the owners in UK I like most dogs BUT not when they are treated like humans

There is an elderlyish lady here who walks around with a corgi sized terrier type dog on her shoulder, constantly, there is nothing wrong with the dog it’s legs are fine ‘it just likes to be there’
I ll leave it there !!!

Mizuna Sat 20-Jan-24 08:01:39

I applaud Wetherspoons for its non-dog policy as it's so hard to go anywhere now where dogs aren't underfoot, especially on endless leads which make it so difficult when you're on crutches, as I am. I've never seen children running around in our Wetherspoons; just lots of friendly people enjoying a quiet time (no piped music either). Oh, and endless mugs of Lavazza coffee for £1.29.

Joseann Sat 20-Jan-24 08:05:15

I'm fine with that rule.
By the way it has nothing to do with meteorological conditions! 🌧 🌞 ❄️ 🌂

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Jan-24 08:27:45

Good, I too am fed up with lap dogs fed from plates and large dogs sprawling in walkways.
Wetherspoons hotels are great as well, reasonably priced and spotless.

Gwyllt Sat 20-Jan-24 08:29:17

Minima. I must agree you don’t see kids running around wethers even though we are a holiday area
It tends to be in pubs where there is kiddy entertainment outside or ball pools etc
Unfortunately people don’t feel able to comment

Sara1954 Sat 20-Jan-24 08:33:18

It’s very hard to find a pub or any eating establishment which doesn’t cater for dogs.
My husband thinks it’s market led, that so many people have so many dogs that their arm’s have been forced.
I’m not a dog lover, but I don’t mind them, just not while I’m eating.
Good for weatherspoons, next time we’re away, I’ll be looking out for them.

Galaxy Sat 20-Jan-24 08:42:55

I am a dog owner and will sometimes go to pubs or cafes that take dogs. It's nice to warm up after a walk on the beach. We also have a Doggy Diner locally which is amazing. However it is perfectly reasonable for people to want cafes etc that are dog free. I dont think Wetherspoons needs business advice from me grin

NannyJan53 Sat 20-Jan-24 08:43:19

Good for Wetherspoons, will use it more in future!

Abitbarmy Sat 20-Jan-24 08:45:10

Another great reason to frequent ‘spoons’ in my opinion.

MissInterpreted Sat 20-Jan-24 08:49:52

I wouldn't set foot in a Wetherspoons unless I absolutely had to - awful places with a thoroughly horrible owner. Nothing to do with any policy on dogs. I have a dog, but we don't take him into bars or restaurants - but for all the dog haters, there are plenty of places which don't allow them in. So by all means, you go to Wetherspoons - I won't be joining you.

JenniferEccles Sat 20-Jan-24 08:57:21

I have heard of the pub group which (fairly or unfairly) does have a bit of a down market reputation. I never been in one but like others I thoroughly approve of the no dogs policy.
It’s getting very difficult to find anywhere, even quite smart restaurants which don’t allow dogs so good for them.
Can’t you also top up your coffee cup there too?

I believe this particular pub chain also has a no music policy which I also approve of, and, along with no football, maybe we should give one a try.

Oh yes and the owner apparently was/is a Brexit supporter so another thumbs up!!

Sara1954 Sat 20-Jan-24 08:58:52

Misinterpreted, honestly dog free establishments are hard to find, I think dogs in public bars are okay, as long as there is a separate eating area, where dogs aren’t welcome
I honestly think I’m in the minority though.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-24 09:20:33

but for all dog haters there are plenty of places that dont allow them in
Totally wrong attitude Missinterpreted
A) I and most others on here are NOT dog haters
B) there arent plenty of other places to go to Every eating and meeting place I can think of here is ‘dog friendly’
However I do agree about the owner awful man but if his chain is the only place in my area to give me a dog free hour with top up coffee I ll get past his awfulness (for now) I hate the fact he helped Brexit but my best friend voted for it and I m not dumping her whatever she voted for.

MissInterpreted Sat 20-Jan-24 09:23:21

Well, there are lots of places around here where dogs aren't allowed. Plenty of choice for everyone. Give me dogs over humans any day of the week. Much better company. When was the last time you saw a dog getting drunk and starting fights, for instance?

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 20-Jan-24 09:24:59

We have a lot of pubs and cafes in our market town and all but one is dog friendly. Only one has a doggie area. I'm bonkers about our furry friends and my little pal comes with me to a cafe a few times a week . I always ask everyone on the surrounding tables if they are ok with me sitting with my dog, folks normally are but one lady wasn't (scared since childhood) and we were fine to move & go elsewhere that day.
Although places are 'dog friendly' I they shouldn't be seen as
'dogs rule' and like children should be nicely behaved.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:27:55

I am extremely allergic to dogs, we actively seek out bars, restaurants and coffee/tea shops which do not allow dogs on the premises.

I am not a fan of Spoons but might pop in one day after reading this thread.

Sara1954 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:28:55

I’m not a fan of the Weatherspoons boss, but their establishments vary enormously.
The one in our town is an absolute dump, I wouldn’t want to go in there, dogs or no dogs.
But we have friends in Surrey, and they have some very nice ones, food is cheap and cheerful and their young staff are helpful and friendly.

Joseann Sat 20-Jan-24 09:29:17

Joseann

I'm fine with that rule.
By the way it has nothing to do with meteorological conditions! 🌧 🌞 ❄️ 🌂

Sorry, my comment was for infoman's thread title. In case anyone else thinks I'm making fun of them!

Spuddy Sat 20-Jan-24 09:35:13

Very well said, MissInterpreted!

I'd much rather pubs won't allow obnoxious screaming arrogant brats in, running around, being noisy, knocking into people, knocking food and drinks off the table, leaving an absolute MESS all over the table, chairs, floors, being rude and abusive to staff and customers, while mummy and daddy refuse point blank to control their hideous monsters and continue worshipping their mobiles. They're the reason I no longer go to pubs.

Supermarkets, shops, libraries, buses etc. should also have no-brat rules!

I understand that not everyone likes dogs, dogs aren't to everyone's taste, I totally get that, but most are perfectly well behaved in public, unlike most kids!

rosie1959 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:37:14

Wetherspoons have always been dog free to my knowledge. And as other posters say they can vary enormously but not somewhere I would go for food.
Our local one is not that great and does not allow dogs even on the outside seating which is in fact part of the town marketplace. But we have other establishments with much better food and ambience that are more than happy to accept dogs.
I have no problem with dogs but the behaviour of some humans more so.

Primrose53 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:37:24

In about half an hour we are leaving for Wetherspoons to have breakfast. I really like the fact they don’t allow dogs because although we have had dogs all our lives (until about 5 years ago)
I don’t like other people’s dogs slobbering and scratching around us while we are eating. The only places we took our dogs near diners were very occasionally in pub gardens on holiday and that was many years ago.

For the moaners on here Wetherspoons do a traditional breakfast with egg, bacon, beans, sausage, hash brown, tomato and toast for about £5 which we have and a Big Breakfast with two of everything for a couple of £ more. They also do Eggs Benedict, Porridge, muffins, pancakes and a good range of other food. These all come with wonderful coffee included and as many refills as you like. (You can have tea or hot choc as well).
Service is quick, the food and plates are always hot and I have never had cause to complain about anything and believe me, I would if something was not right.