Gransnet forums

Chat

Face masks

(35 Posts)
Teacheranne Sun 04-Dec-22 00:07:51

I’ve just had a tidy up of the drawers in my bedside cabinet and put all my face masks in a storage box, along with some spare sanitiser, to go in my spare bedroom wardrobe. I was surprised at how many I had accumulated, basic disposable ones, home made cloth ones and some medical grade ones which my sister sent from the US.

I could not quite bring myself to throw them away but don’t want them in easy reach any more.

I was wondering what you have done with yours?

crazyH Sun 04-Dec-22 00:20:23

I don’t have any disposables left. But, I did find my pretty pink washable one in the door- compartment of my car. Actually I must take it out and give it a good wash. I may need it for the next Covid outbreak (hope not!) 😂

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 00:33:47

I'm sorry to say I'm still using mine if I'm going to be in a crowd. They are FFP2/FFP3 and N95.

There are papers out now explaining that damage is cumulative with repeated infections. I don't want covid as I think I had it in the February before it was "a thing".

Also, the USA has reworked their Moderna booster vaccines to take account of newer variants - no one seems to know if ours are using the same ones - so I'm not overly trusing of that... I read that Pfizer had also modified theirs but again, are we using an unmodified version?
I don't know. Maybe some other gran/grandad does?

V3ra Sun 04-Dec-22 01:23:11

Also, the USA has reworked their Moderna booster vaccines to take account of newer variants - no one seems to know if ours are using the same ones

The nurse that gave me my Moderna booster (American) in November said it had been modified to cover the new variants.
It still triggered a nasty outbreak of eczema as did the Pfizer booster (American) last year. I'd only just got that under control ☹️

I'd had no reaction to the first two vaccinations, Astra Zeneca (British).

I asked if I could have Astra Zeneca this year and was told it's being used worldwide for people who haven't had any doses yet.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 06:56:04

I understand that the Astra Zenica hasn't been modified as yet - and so isn't as effective with newer strains V3ea.

cornergran Sun 04-Dec-22 07:05:46

Still use a mask on crowded buses, never stopped.

Vaccination-wise we were told it was the adapted version of Moderna. Why not ask your surgery notspaghetti as your records should show which vaccine you were given, no matter where it was done.

Casdon Sun 04-Dec-22 07:13:18

NotSpaghetti

I'm sorry to say I'm still using mine if I'm going to be in a crowd. They are FFP2/FFP3 and N95.

There are papers out now explaining that damage is cumulative with repeated infections. I don't want covid as I think I had it in the February before it was "a thing".

Also, the USA has reworked their Moderna booster vaccines to take account of newer variants - no one seems to know if ours are using the same ones - so I'm not overly trusing of that... I read that Pfizer had also modified theirs but again, are we using an unmodified version?
I don't know. Maybe some other gran/grandad does?

The modified Pfizer which covers Omicron is being given in the UK. I know because I asked the nurse when I had my booster - you can tell from your vaccination card if you want to check.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 07:20:08

That's good Casdon. Thank you. Does it actually say "modified" on your card? I suppose, logically, it should do.

My next one is this week and I couldn't find anyone who knew about it.
I was intending to ask when I got there.

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 07:30:26

I do not wear a mask, but have one in every coat pocket and every handbag - just in case -. The rest, like Teacheranne's are tucked in a drawer in the bedroom.

rosie1959 Sun 04-Dec-22 07:36:02

Have a few left over stored away but haven't worn one for ages. Even managed to forget mine when I went for my booster but didn't matter only a few people were wearing them.
No vacination card issued but did receive a leaflet about the type it was. App updated with booster.

nadateturbe Sun 04-Dec-22 07:47:12

I have a variety of masks in a drawer in the hall. I still wear them in busy places. Others still do too.

glammanana Sun 04-Dec-22 08:07:14

It would be sensible to wear one now the shops are getting so busy with Christmas shoppers etc.

AussieGran59 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:41:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:44:08

I have some in my car, DH has some in his. When sorting out winter coats they all had one in pockets.

Have a couple of boxes in the laundry of FFP2/3 along with the basic ones, will only wear again if it becomes law.

(All my vaccines have been Pfizer)

Kim19 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:48:51

Still have a mask lurking away in my handbag at all times (probably in dire need of replacement!) and a couple in car glove compartment. Just in case........

Parsley3 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:59:07

I am still required to wear a mask if I go to the surgery or dentist and when I got my booster. I was given Pfizer and the nurse told me that it was modified for the Omicron variant. I don't wear a mask on a daily basis but some people do. I find that I am still socially distancing though.

Redhead56 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:04:03

Keep one in my bag or pocket and car along with wipes and gel. A habit I won’t drop just in case, all the time the rest tucked away in a draw.

25Avalon Sun 04-Dec-22 09:09:56

A mask in every coat pocket along with a handful of dog treats. I don’t use it very often as I don’t go on the bus or into supermarkets. A lot of pharmacies still like you to wear them as we did when we had our flu jabs. Useful for any situation you might feel uncomfortable in.

BlueSapphire Sun 04-Dec-22 09:21:09

A mask in every handbag and the rest are in kitchen drawer; have virtually stopped wearing them now.

TillyTrotter Sun 04-Dec-22 09:23:45

I keep some in a S size sandwich bag in my handbag. Wearing mask in a Chemist’s, the Cinema, or crowded shops. Folks are coughing - could be just seasonal chills - but whatever it is I want to avoid getting it if possible. Still have hand sanitizer with me in my bag - and using it.

kircubbin2000 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:38:03

The only couple of times I wore a mask was for a hospital appointment. I had a snoody scarf thing the rest of the time.

Yammy Sun 04-Dec-22 09:42:04

nadateturbe

I have a variety of masks in a drawer in the hall. I still wear them in busy places. Others still do too.

I do the same variety in a hall drawer and take one when I think it might be needed. Also found lots in last year's winter coat pockets that I have thrown away and one just in case in handbags and car doors.

Alioop Sun 04-Dec-22 09:45:31

We still have to wear them at our doctors, you can't get in the surgery without one. They make you go to to the chemist outside to buy a disposable one for 50p if you forget yours. It's the only place I really wear one now.

Pittcity Sun 04-Dec-22 10:13:16

I have just found my Christmas ones in the bedside drawer.

Georgesgran Sun 04-Dec-22 10:19:20

I’m taking DD2 for a hospital appointment twice a week - masks are compulsory and non-wearers are asked to use one/given one, unless exempt.