Gransnet forums

Chat

Toy gun, viewed innocently or not !

(202 Posts)
Serendipity22 Tue 04-Jan-22 11:45:36

Ok, so picture the scene. I am wandering around the supermarket isles with my 5 year old GS. I am concentrating on the mental list of items i need to purchase, GS is pointing his toy cowboy gun at anything and everybody.

Some people have laughed, some have spoken to him in fun and 1 elderly chap held both hands up hahaha and yet there i was amongst my mental list consisting of milk, bleach etc, thinking is this wrong? should he be blatantly waving a gun about ?

I ended up feeling so uncomfortable just as i remembered i needed a block of cheese which was 3 isles back, that i told him to give me the gun, which he did and i thrust it in my bag.

At 1 time it was perfectly normal to see a little boy with his 'pistol' ...
maybe it just me who thinks this way. I dunno. What does everyone else think ?

smile

Grandma70s Tue 04-Jan-22 11:50:20

I never allowed my children to have toy guns, let alone point them at people. After all, shooting people is not good behaviour to emulate or play at.

aggie Tue 04-Jan-22 11:54:57

Playing with toy guns is “ normalising “ guns , not a good idea ! Why would he even have one !

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 11:56:14

I've found children will just make their own 'guns'.
My friends little boy used one of his Barbie dolls' legs to make the gun barrel and went around 'shooting' people, despite mums ideas.

henetha Tue 04-Jan-22 11:57:49

One of my sons was mad about guns when he was small.
Even then, I never let him play with them out of the house.
These days, I would not even buy him one. Your instinct which kicked in was absolutely correct.

Serendipity22 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:00:22

My own son was never allowed guns, never, then what career did he take ! Army. ....

When i say pointing sorry
i didn't actually mean pointing in a 'threatening' way, i have worded the whole experience wrong....

Kim19 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:02:12

Bit hard on the child just removing it at a whim of your conscience but I agree they really shouldn't be around nowadays. Just reminiscing over photographs with son 2 recently and we both instantly remarked on the knife he was toting on his belt. 40 years later and this would not happen nowadays, thank goodness.

maddyone Tue 04-Jan-22 12:02:23

I think you did the right thing. Pointing a gun at other people, albeit a toy gun, is anti social behaviour in my opinion. Children playing with one another and making ‘pretend’ guns from other toys or their fingers is okay, pointing a toy gun at people in the supermarket is not okay. Well done for removing the gun from him.

SueDonim Tue 04-Jan-22 12:04:29

As someone with two grandchildren in the US who have to do regular ‘shooter’ drills in school, I wouldn’t be in the least amused by this.

If your child/GC must play with a gun, keep it for home. Apart from anything else, you run the risk of someone calling the police and it wouldn’t be very nice for a small child to experience that.

greenlady102 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:09:48

As someone who had cowboy guns as a child when it was normal, I absolutely get that toy guns are not a good idea now. We (some 60 years ago) lived in a world where guns were things of fantasy for children, so far as I remember, there were no armed police or any need for them. I agree that real type guns in todays society should not be portrayed or used as toys. I am a bit amazed that your GC even has one?

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 12:11:04

Do nobody's grandchildren have Nerf guns?
I'd be amazed if not.

Serendipity22 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:12:17

Thank you everyone, yes i SHOULD have left it at home, I was always adamant my son would have no guns, knives, swords whatsoever and in future i will do the same with my GS when he is in my care.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 12:13:30

I think this is going to be one of "those" threads. smile

SueDonim Tue 04-Jan-22 12:15:14

I don’t think any of my GC have a nerf gun. What are they??

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 12:17:49

They shoot soft tube like "bullets".
They were a top selling toy a while back, I'd imagine, with probably about a 1000 variations on the theme.

Calistemon Tue 04-Jan-22 12:20:37

Coincidentally, my young DGD asked me yesterday if I played Cowboys and Indians when I was very young and I said Yes, we did and I had a gun with caps. It was great fun.
However, that was in the olden days before supermarkets!

It didn't turn me into a gunslinger, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea these days, people might get nervous.

Calistemon Tue 04-Jan-22 12:21:22

MissAdventure

They shoot soft tube like "bullets".
They were a top selling toy a while back, I'd imagine, with probably about a 1000 variations on the theme.

Yes, DGS had one and they sting.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 12:25:02

grin
And the "bullets" get everywhere, except with the gun.
My boy had a big collection of all different types, but he's grown out of them now.

Blondiescot Tue 04-Jan-22 12:28:44

MissAdventure

I've found children will just make their own 'guns'.
My friends little boy used one of his Barbie dolls' legs to make the gun barrel and went around 'shooting' people, despite mums ideas.

Exactly! I remember going round to visit a friend, and another friend of hers, who was an educational psychologist, was there and went on and on about how her son would never been allowed to play with guns or anything like that. We then looked round to see said child running round the garden with a stick, 'shooting' at the other kids. Enough said. People go out of their way to be 'offended' by things like this nowadays.

Witzend Tue 04-Jan-22 12:30:13

My brother had a ‘cowboy’ pistol, with holster and caps, as a child, and has not turned out to be a homicidal maniac. He also had an air rifle as a teen, and IIRC mainly used it to pot the heads off flowers in the garden from his bedroom window.

My Gds (5) has had a nerf gun and loved it, but I suspect that (like most ‘bits’ of everything in their house) all the bullets are now lost. He recently picked up and enjoyed a ‘gun shaped’ stick in the park. I suspect that he’d have done that whether he’d ever been given toy guns or not.

TBH I think that to some extent it’s in their DNA* so provided they’re not being brought up with violence/aggression at home, I can’t see any harm in it.

Back in the summer he was also delighted with a plastic battleaxe from the Tower of London shop. I had originally said no, but that was before I saw that it was only a fiver.

*elder Gdd (6) has never shown the slightest interest in guns.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:30:14

MissA I have 5 GSs and all apart from the youngest (just 2) they all have nerf guns they all have water pistols (more like flipping bazookas) and totally soak you.

LinAnn52 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:31:00

When our first son was born in 1979, I was determined not to buy guns as playthings. Forward three years to a playgroup Christmas party and his gift from Santa - a gun and holster set! Fortunately he wasn’t too interested in it.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Jan-22 12:35:12

My boy would always pick up a stick when out for a walk.
It would become a sword, (or sometimes great nans walking stick, so he would hobble along with it)

Shandy57 Tue 04-Jan-22 12:36:46

My son made guns/swords out of sticks. We did allow him the wooden swords sold at our local castle, as well as the Power Rangers sword. He always wanted a slingshot but we never allowed that.

I just wanted to say my daughter visited Vietnam with her Vietnamese ex boyfriend. She was filming a bike ride, and I could see tiny children driving tiny tanks in the playground. That shocked me.

Calistemon Tue 04-Jan-22 12:38:50

Oh yes, I had a holster, a fringed waistcoat and a cowboy hat as well. Father Christmas brought them.