Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Forever Story?

(32 Posts)
Daddima Wed 13-Mar-24 11:21:06

I have just seen an ad for this. It’s a small medallion with a QR code which you can attach to a gravestone, and people can view footage of the deceased. I’m not sure I like the idea, what do you think?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 11:26:35

Not for me, thanks.

Iam64 Wed 13-Mar-24 11:29:47

Not in the least appealing to me. Mr i is buried in a woodland remembrance garden near our home. It’s so peaceful with no technology, just the occasional rabbit or deer

AGAA4 Wed 13-Mar-24 11:34:59

No. I believe in "Rest in Peace"

maddyone Wed 13-Mar-24 11:51:30

Absolutely no way. I have my own memories of my parents and also photos, as do our children. These memories and pictures are private, not for general viewing.

sweetcakes Wed 13-Mar-24 12:00:19

I wouldn't like that for all the world to see! But then I'm being cremated so irrelevant.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-24 12:21:56

Sounds ghoulish - and I would worry about the motives of those accessing them and what they might do with the information they would get from such a device.

HousePlantQueen Wed 13-Mar-24 12:33:41

Not for me thanks. I find the gravestones with photographs of the deceased disturbing too, they are a reminder that there once was a living, breathing person who is now by your feet. I may not have described this very well,sorry.

OldFrill Wed 13-Mar-24 12:48:35

This isn't particularly new and it has it's place for those that want to share the deceased's history. I assume you could create the QR code yourself at no cost. I've seen similar on memorial benches where it can contribute greatly to local history.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 12:59:44

I know what you mean HPQ. I don’t like them either, find them creepy.

pascal30 Wed 13-Mar-24 13:40:51

Not for me.. I'm requesting a Silver Birch Tree in a natural burial site

MissInterpreted Wed 13-Mar-24 13:42:04

M0nica

Sounds ghoulish - and I would worry about the motives of those accessing them and what they might do with the information they would get from such a device.

Yes, that would be a concern for me too. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Whiff Wed 13-Mar-24 16:35:39

No it sounds disrespectful.
There is a place for technology a grave yard is not one. Especially with children's graves being there.

Sago Wed 13-Mar-24 16:39:19

A big fat NO!

LOUISA1523 Wed 13-Mar-24 20:18:41

Definitely not

cornergran Wed 13-Mar-24 20:21:41

Nope, not for me. The thought makes me feel very uncomfortable.

henetha Wed 13-Mar-24 23:32:04

Too weird for me

OldFrill Fri 15-Mar-24 01:11:49

What on earth is weird about an online tribute, that's all it is.

Louella12 Fri 15-Mar-24 01:45:28

There's a grave in USA. Married couple. They were competitive dancers.

The QR code is footage of them dancing the waltz when they were young.

It's actually rather lovely

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-24 06:11:59

I m not keen on this everyone is going to have a different take on someone’s life, so it depends who writes it, one child’s view of their parent may be very different to another, unless the dead person writes it themselves before they die
anyway I m getting cremated so doesn’t fit

Puzzlelove Fri 15-Mar-24 19:39:35

Can’t see the point of it. Those who know me well will have memories and photos of me. I do find graveyards interesting and they remind me that a person actually lived but don’t see the need to find out more about them.

Cossy Sat 16-Mar-24 11:14:07

Oooh definitely not for me, my late parents would also have a pink fit! Sorry, imo bit weird and creepy!

Cossy Sat 16-Mar-24 11:15:07

HousePlantQueen

Not for me thanks. I find the gravestones with photographs of the deceased disturbing too, they are a reminder that there once was a living, breathing person who is now by your feet. I may not have described this very well,sorry.

I know it’s awful, but I find this a bit disturbing too

Candelle Sat 16-Mar-24 12:23:48

I disagree with many posters on this topic. When walking through a graveyard in a different area recently, I was surprised to see a few photographs attached to headstones: one for each deceased.

On inspection, the deceased was elderly but the photograph was of them as a young vibrant person. I thought that this was a rather lovely idea - not that there is anything wrong with ageing - I embrace it but one showed a woman in her prime and I rather liked the idea.

I don't really agree with the the QR code idea (for where will it end, a video of one's 'best bits' of a life?) but I thought that a single photo was rather lovely. I didn't feel it was tasteless or tacky.

Cateq Sat 16-Mar-24 12:24:11

Not for me, but then again I’ve told my family I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered. I do however wear a pendent my brother got made which includes a small amount of my parents ashes, which I know some will find ghoulish, but it brings me comfort. I gave him a key ring which you can project a light through that shows our parents on their wedding day. We lost our parents when we were very young, so it a way to have them with us.